Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It died with Lehman Brothers and Ken Lay (EnRon) and the Keating 5....
So in other words, because some people have no morals, its okay for no one to have morals? If we use that rationale, it's all okay for us to kill people. Unbelievable! I aspire to be a better person than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
And if you don't like air pollution, stop breathing!

But I like it...must be that republican blood?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
So in other words, because some people have no morals, its okay for no one to have morals? If we use that rationale, it's all okay for us to kill people. Unbelievable! I aspire to be a better person than that.

BUT we are ALL paying for their debts...I did not see politicians chasing after Ken Lay (family friends with King George) and as for the Keating 5, one actually had big enough cojones to run for president...isn't that a role mode to aspire towards?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
[quote=debzkidz;21462698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Yes, but also -- what ever happened to due diligence on the part of the lender?[/quote
When you borrow money, you are responsible for paying it back. When I bought a house, I became responsible for paying it back. That's why I didn't buy the maximum amount they told me I could qualify for, in fact I only spent 1/3 of what I qualified for. Same with buying a car. I could have purchased a luxury car, but I chose a Chevrolet because I was responsible for paying it back. I could have qualified for the loan for a luxury car, but I chose something less expensive because I was responsible for it. Not the government, nor the the taxpayers of this country. If people aren't going to be able to pay for all their college education at an expensive university, maybe they need to be attending community colleges for the first couple of years, so they don't have to go so far into debt. If people are so poor that they to be on public assistance, then surely there is some kind of grants and scholarships available. Both of my kids universities have tons of money available for the underprivileged students. It takes a bit more effort to get it than just applying for a loan, but it's free money. But I guess, with this stupid plan, its free money anyway!
Your bad decision, not mine. Why should I be responsible for it. DH and I have already paid our student loans and are getting our kids through college now. We will have paid for 4 college educations, including 2 advanced degrees. It is beyond wrong to expect us to pay your bills too.
I agree!!!
Actually if these borrowers don't have cash to go to college, they should NOT go or just wait till they save enough so they can go... ... if they CHOOSE to take on debt, THEY have the obligation to PAY IT BACK!!!

But there is no such thing as *free money* (aka money don't grow on trees or appear from thin air)...

the so called *free money* still comes from somewhere...
Be it the sponsored *charity funds* from a benefactor or the like , or some wealthy alumni contributed to their favored college or from the "president's list" for the smarts or taxpayers...

it *STILL* comes from someone's pocket (dead or alive).

Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Bit off topic but I wonder what some of you who are complaining are making each year. I think it's about 35% of Tea Party supporters that don't even make 50k a year. Always amusing to hear people who barely pay any taxes complain like they are big contributors.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
BUT we are ALL paying for their debts...I did not see politicians chasing after Ken Lay (family friends with King George) and as for the Keating 5, one actually had big enough cojones to run for president...isn't that a role mode to aspire towards?
Yes we all have to pay...
"willing to pay that debt or NOT".

I am sure YOU won't be *willing* IF you did never partake in the cake BUT still HAVE TO *PAY it* without the *CHOICE/FREEDOM* given....

Unlike the *FREEDOM / CHOICE** given to the debt incur(er)...

It is NOT fair NOR POLITE to take someone's else's *CHOICE/FREEDOM* while that same *CHOICE/FREEDOM* is given to that debt incur(er) is it???

If anyone think it is fair...
**THEY*** can be the ones to foot that bill...

NO THANK YOU for me, and I'd CHOSE NOT TO *PARTAKE* that bill--- really, I'd pass.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
When you borrow money, you are responsible for paying it back. When I bought a house, I became responsible for paying it back. That's why I didn't buy the maximum amount they told me I could qualify for, in fact I only spent 1/3 of what I qualified for. Same with buying a car. I could have purchased a luxury car, but I chose a Chevrolet because I was responsible for paying it back. I could have qualified for the loan for a luxury car, but I chose something less expensive because I was responsible for it. Not the government, nor the the taxpayers of this country. If people aren't going to be able to pay for all their college education at an expensive university, maybe they need to be attending community colleges for the first couple of years, so they don't have to go so far into debt. If people are so poor that they to be on public assistance, then surely there is some kind of grants and scholarships available. Both of my kids universities have tons of money available for the underprivileged students. It takes a bit more effort to get it than just applying for a loan, but it's free money. But I guess, with this stupid plan, its free money anyway!
Your bad decision, not mine. Why should I be responsible for it. DH and I have already paid our student loans and are getting our kids through college now. We will have paid for 4 college educations, including 2 advanced degrees. It is beyond wrong to expect us to pay your bills too.
I agree with most of what you have said.

But I think that you don't understand the major point, which is this -- when you buy a house, a car, whatever, the lender supposedly has some skin in the loan, and you can declare bankruptcy and walk away. This is not so with many educational loans. We have set up a system for student loans where the lender is taking no risk at all, because student loans cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. As a result, lenders are more than happy to make crazy, stupid loans that sink 18-year-old students for the rest of their lives, and enable colleges to jack-up prices at three-times the rate of inflation.

In other words, the lender normally takes some risk in making a loan, and therefore tries to make a reasonable determination whether to make the loan or not, based on whether the borrower will be able to pay -- except for student loans. In yet other words, our present system creates perverse incentives for lenders and colleges. We are now seeing the results -- fantastic tuition charges and a substantial group of young people who will be impoverished for most of their lives.

Changing bankruptcy laws will go a long way toward solving both of these problems. Lenders will need to reign it in, and colleges won't be able to charge hideous tuitions.

By the way, I am very well off, thanks be to God, and was able to pay for my own kids' educations from petty cash, so to speak.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Just a terms of service reminder - http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.
This is not the place to attack other posters or to accuse them of not working and paying off their bills. Infractions will be issued for personal attacks and rude and/or off topic posts.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Yes... I would absolutely agree

BUT the government won't allow that would they???
If it's super important to you to not pay taxes, you can always make the choice to live below the taxable income level and become a tax protester. I wrote a news feature once on a group of Mennonites who chose to do this. For them, their purpose for protesting taxes was that they are pacifists, and that was their solution to ensuring that their taxes did not go toward funding a war chest. They lived in intentional community (essentially communally), so living below the taxable income level was easier than it would be for a person or a family living independently.

Point being that, yes, if you feel strongly enough about not paying taxes, there is at least one legal way to accomplish that. It comes at a price, too, though.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If it's super important to you to not pay taxes, you can always make the choice to live below the taxable income level and become a tax protester. I wrote a news feature once on a group of Mennonites who chose to do this. For them, their purpose for protesting taxes was that they are pacifists, and that was their solution to ensuring that their taxes did not go toward funding a war chest. They lived in intentional community (essentially communally), so living below the taxable income level was easier than it would be for a person or a family living independently.

Point being that, yes, if you feel strongly enough about not paying taxes, there is at least one legal way to accomplish that. It comes at a price, too, though.
OR the government can go back to the OLD WAYS (which tax is paid "voluntary" by independents)... which the government will become on existent, and NO MORE BAIL OUTS for debts (college, banks or whatever)... I would be more than happy to be one of those non-tax payers...

So, fine...
if WE taxpayers have to pay the taxes, we the tax payers should also HAVE the say (on our voting slip) what to give to and what NOT to give to (which my choice would not be given to bail out any banks NOR towards someone's college debt).

IF the college debt incur(er) is given that choice to take on the debt and for what subject.... well, it is only fair to give the taxpayers that right to pay for it or not... right???

NOT choking someone else with your ideals and not letting them *choose* while *you* can!!! That would be like you can murder, but I cannot... where is the "liberty" in that????

Liberty is freedom = freedom of choice for *ALL* not just the debt incur(er).

Thus brings me back to the question...

I am not willing to foot that tax bill to forgive even in any amount the college debt someone else incur...
so... who here is willing to foot that tax bill for me??? And if you foot my tax bill, I would have no problem then with anyone else's debt since I won't be the one to foot it (not my problem).

P.S. If I were to be one less person paying the tax... and how about the whole USA just quit tax totally and refuse to pay these taxes... where is the money coming from for all Obama's bills???? Someone's got to pay... it won't come out from Mr. Obama's own pocket / charity funds will it.

Its his idea... he should pay for all his ideas as "benefactor" to his college plans... not the taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities