Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times

Advertisements

Two things that would help state college expenses.

1. We do not have to send every person to college. Make trade school just as available (grants etc) to high school graduates as college. It costs far less to send a boy to vocational school and he would graduate with a useful skill where he can get a job.

2. For those that are on state aid for college, limit it to 4 years. This 5 and 6 year stint while kids find themselves or join a protest or two is putting to large a strain on state subsidized colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning but your opening comment sounded a little condescending. I hope I am wrong. If I'm not, all I can say is please don't do that. I have never been disrespectful to anyone on this site and I don't like it when someone disrespects me or my silly screen name.

As for my comments about the vote to increase tuition. I still believe in this current economy, now is not the time for colleges to add more debt onto the backs of its students and their families.

I found the following very interesting ....

College costs: Find out how much college costs - Calculator - CNNMoney

No disrespect meant here... If interpreted as disrespect, I apologize.
My point was just to state that there are places to go to college that are (relatively reasonable), and are still good schools. I know college is expensive, but people don't have to shell out $200K to get a good education. Maybe $30K (which is still not a drop in the bucket), but should be affordable by many more people.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:11 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Averages are skewed.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 PM

113 posts, read 450,086 times
ha, most of new england is in the top ten. i'm not surprised. it's largely due to cost of living - housing is expensive.

i read somewhere that NH offers the least amount of financial aid out of all the states. i believe it. i was at UNH for one semester recently; in-state tuition cost me 13K, and i didn't take out all i could have because i had a job and lived frugally. they just had their state funding cut in half so i'm sure the tuition will skyrocket even more. i would hate to be a student there right now.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey87 View Post
ha, most of new england is in the top ten. i'm not surprised. it's largely due to cost of living - housing is expensive.

i read somewhere that NH offers the least amount of financial aid out of all the states. i believe it. i was at UNH for one semester recently; in-state tuition cost me 13K, and i didn't take out all i could have because i had a job and lived frugally. they just had their state funding cut in half so i'm sure the tuition will skyrocket even more. i would hate to be a student there right now.
New Hampshire is one of the no sales tax States. They make it up by having higher property taxes and other taxes. NH is kinda small for a State, but whatever you think about its size, it still has a low population. I mean, pretty much any major U.S. city is going to have a larger population than the state of NH. Or Vermont, Maine, definitely Rhode Island, and possibly Connecticut. Heck, probably all of those states combined!

Housing is expensive depending on location.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Two things that would help state college expenses.

1. We do not have to send every person to college. Make trade school just as available (grants etc) to high school graduates as college. It costs far less to send a boy to vocational school and he would graduate with a useful skill where he can get a job.

2. For those that are on state aid for college, limit it to 4 years. This 5 and 6 year stint while kids find themselves or join a protest or two is putting to large a strain on state subsidized colleges.
1. Grants are available for trade schools, vo-techs, community colleges whatever---you just have to make very little money to qualify for them because the schools don't cost very much.

2. Most kids in state universities are in school for more than 4 years not because they are trying to "find themselves" but because the schools are underfunded and students can't get into classes to allow them to graduate in 4 years. At any of the major flagship schools across the nation you can pretty much guarantee you will be there at least 4 1/2 years because of the registration issues, unless you take a lot of summer school classes.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
2. Most kids in state universities are in school for more than 4 years not because they are trying to "find themselves" but because the schools are underfunded and students can't get into classes to allow them to graduate in 4 years. At any of the major flagship schools across the nation you can pretty much guarantee you will be there at least 4 1/2 years because of the registration issues, unless you take a lot of summer school classes.
State universities are looking more unattractive day by day. Not only do many students get stuck with loans, but now they have to go for longer? Why would you go to a state school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities