Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:29 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,612 times

Advertisements

what type of business does your parent own? How can you be sure it will continue to be successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
The basic questions are -

What are your ambitions and goals in life?
What kind of work do you find interesting?
What are your greatest strengths in terms of academics and skills?

Start there, and be as detailed as possible.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-15-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
Do it if...

1. You identify something that holds your interest to at least some degree.
2. You identify something that has a decent chance of being employable - gotta do some research there and know what you're getting into.
3. You are willing to work hard, even when it isn't "fun" all the time.

If you're not there on any of the three, especially the third one, your results are not likely to be good.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,758 times
I would go with the idea both of broadening your horizons by taking a variety of classes and gaining an education in business so that you can eventually expand your parents business. Attending internationally would do both.

You will likely be under pressure to continue your parents venture so this period should be looked at as your own to experience life and prepare yourself. When you're done you will feel as if you are stronger and will be ready to learn what your parents can teach you, then take it from there.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
So basically you were supported by your parents and never had a care in the world.

Guess what dude ... businesses fail. Times change. Boom and bust.

Learn your parents' business and the market environment. Learn the competition. Learn what they're doing to stay ahead, or whether they're barely staying afloat and could use the help.

Kids like you don't know what its like to support yourselves right off the bat, so listen to your dad and see what kind of world his is. You never know, next year, he may be broke as a joke and that house they built for you, your current house, etc. are all gone. I live in a very wealthy area and see it all the time ... parents found the business, children fritter away the wealth and end up homeless by the time they have kids.

There's a common saying, "shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations." Basically, the grandparents found a business, children fritter away the wealth, and the grandkids are left with debt or end up dividing whatever small money is left and end up being middle class to poor.

Avoid that.

And hey if you learn their business and discover you hate it, hey, one thing you learn isn't for you. You discovered what it is like to live on your own, great!!! Now go out there and discover more stuff you like. I was lucky, I knew I loved space and airplanes at age 6. Engineering and science are my calling.

Now it's time to find yours. Try everything, from knitting to learning how to code the games you loved playing to riding really really fast in a car to working ON the car, and the math behind everything.

Don't worry about failure. Benjamin Franklin declared bankruptcy a crazy number of times. But everyone loves his inventions to this day.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 AM

9 posts, read 25,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I would go with the idea both of broadening your horizons by taking a variety of classes and gaining an education in business so that you can eventually expand your parents business. Attending internationally would do both.

You will likely be under pressure to continue your parents venture so this period should be looked at as your own to experience life and prepare yourself. When you're done you will feel as if you are stronger and will be ready to learn what your parents can teach you, then take it from there.
A good plan for me, I think, would be 2 year community college (ass. degree) in business. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities