Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times

Advertisements

Our daughter recently applied to U of M Ann Arbor. She is a high school senior with a 3.9 GPA, she got a 30 composite on her ACT test, and is currently enrolled in a dual enrollment program at U of M Dearborn where she just earned an "A" in both of the classes that she took this past semester. She has been involved in some volunteer work in the community over the past two years as well.

A couple of days ago, she got an email from U of M Ann Arbor that said that she is on the deferred list and said this:

"After multiple individualized and comprehensive evaluations of your application to the University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts for Fall 2012, we believe that you have something uniquely valuable to contribute to our campus. However, our high application volume, coupled with the very strong credentials of our applicants in recent years, has contributed to an increasingly competitive admissions process. As a result, your application has been deferred for a final decision until a later date."

They also told her to keep sending any and all transcripts that would increase her chances of being accepted, and I just had her transcript with the two "A"s from U of M Dearborn sent over to Ann Arbor.

So...to any of you who have attended or graduated from U of M or know how the admission process there works...does it sound like she has a chance at getting in at all? It would mean so much if she could, since we live 20 minutes from campus and she really wants to go there. I figure that since she is a Michigan resident and has already proven that she can succeed at one of their satellite campuses that would help, but I'm still concerned that she won't get in. They said that they will let her know at a later date and she will either be admitted, denied, or waitlisted.

Anyone, based on what I posted above, have any idea what her chances might be? It's so darned hard to get into that school!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:02 PM

179 posts, read 273,646 times
She may or may not get in but even if she doesn't get into UM-AA now, she can always go to UM-D for a year or two, continue to get excellent grades, and then transfer over to Ann Arbor.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Admission to any college, no matter how elite, is merely a union card for next step in one's career

Just like unions (stuff of ole MI and modern DC/MD/VA and NYC), colleges are rapidly fading into irrelevance b/c of their commie admissions processes (ask who works in admissions offices and which donors fund any college through their taxpayer-subsidized "donations")

Thankfully, world's most lucrative (and innovative) industry is tech: an industry owned and led by numerous college dropouts, social misfits, some libertarians, etc, but engineers not economic illiterates....disintermediating Luddite concepts like colleges

BTW, doubt Page of GOOG would have attended MI if he could attend a more elite undergrad...but not bad for a kid whose pa was a mere MSU (not MI, not IL, not Berk...and certainly not Stanford) prof, not unlike Brin's pa who was a mere MD prof and Brin himself attended crappy MD undergrad...funny how natural selection works despite attempts of commie processes like college admits

Old 12-24-2011, 08:57 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Fwiw I was deferred while applying to schools way back when (a different school). The following week I was accepted. It was something like on Friday I got letter 1 and on Monday I got letter 2. I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Well honestly my advice would be to let her handle it herself. I find it odd that you are so involved in all of this. You're not the one applying to colleges. Maybe my parents were just abnormal? Anyway some people definitely get in after being deferred so don't lose hope yet. I got in off of the waitlist to a pretty competitive school after writing them a persuasive letter outlining why they should accept me LOL. Perhaps the letter had nothing to do with my acceptance but it obviously didn't hurt.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but there is certainly a risk that she will not get in. If I were you, I would apply to other good schools as a back-up.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Did she apply early action or regular decision? (not sure if they have early action there). From what we have been told, unless you are the "perfect" student, don't apply early action. They want the best of the best during that time. It's possible that is what happened there. Also, you don't mention any activities, was she in sports, music, did she have a job, volunteer, etc? If she didn't do anything besides go to school in high school she can pretty much count on not getting into any top schools. They want more rounded students.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 10,358 times
canudigit -

I graduated from UM-Ann Arbor in 2001. While at school I met many students who transferred into UM. After graduating I've been approached by many prospective students, like your daughter, who wanted to know the best way to position themselves for greater consideration toward acceptance.

My advice is simple: submit any and all material that would help your daughter's case. Remember the old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Don't forget, the folks working in the admissions office are human beings. They have families. They have day-to-day problems too. They are normal, rational people with a very demanding job.

That being said, a proactive, prospective student who demonstrates WHY he/she would be a positive addition to the student body stands a better shot than the student who does very little to help his/her case.

Be a squeaky wheel. Multiple submissions into the admissions office is not seen as a nuisance. It's seen as a real desire to be a part of the university.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
Didnt you already have long thread on this?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Michigan State wouldn't be a bad backup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities