Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Cornell is more well rounded than most Tech schools and is in the same caliber as Carneige Mellon despite having one having an "Ivy" name to it and the other not. A bit less elitist than the rest of the ivies. It also takes a lot of students from the select public NYC schools. Supposedly gives a decent amount of need based aid.

Has frequent bus service (takes 4hr30min - 5hr) to NYC, so it's she wants to get as far away from home as possible might not be the best choice.
Really, 4 1/2 hrs away from home by bus may be far enough for this student. I think it's an excellent suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My niece is a talented student and attends Bronx High School of Science. She is interested in Engineering and finances are an issue. Her grades are excellent.

My sister does not want her to go very far away from home. New England, Middle Atlantic, Upper South Eastern Mid-West.

My brother and I are concerned that she is pushing her towards schools where she will literally be the poorest student on campus. (My sister is an adjunct instructor and freelance writer, she is divorced and her ex lives in Europe)

We also want her to have a normal college experience. I know that some Institutes of Technology are real pressure cookers. Many serious highly strung students and virtually no social life.

She has not had much of a normal life in HS and my brother and I hope that college will be a relief for her. And time away from my sister

She has a very high - bizarrely high weighted average.

I am thinking that a good strategy would be to apply to well funded schools a tier or two below what she might be accepted to.

Any suggestions? I think that my sister is categorically against State Colleges, but I will suggest them anyway. I think the girl would feel good being a big fish in a small pond - on a number of levels.
If the student is talented it is a HUGE mistake to go to a school BELOW the level that would challenge her.

Engineering is a tough degree and career, if she wants to be an engineer it is foolish to suggest she go to an easier school so she can have a "relief" during college.

I teach at a science and engineering magnet that is on a slightly higher tier itself than BHSS, our students who go on to less challenging programs are the only ones who have hard times finding work.

Please do not encourage your niece to take the easy road when her career will not be. So if she is really talented, encourage her to look into Webb Institute, MIT, or Cooper Union.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If the student is talented it is a HUGE mistake to go to a school BELOW the level that would challenge her.

Engineering is a tough degree and career, if she wants to be an engineer it is foolish to suggest she go to an easier school so she can have a "relief" during college.

I teach at a science and engineering magnet that is on a slightly higher tier itself than BHSS, our students who go on to less challenging programs are the only ones who have hard times finding work.

Please do not encourage your niece to take the easy road when her career will not be. So if she is really talented, encourage her to look into Webb Institute, MIT, or Cooper Union.
The U of MN is hardly an easy school and everyone I know that has graduated from there with an engineering degree in the past few years are all gainfully employed in their field...

Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The U of MN is hardly an easy school and everyone I know that has graduated from there with an engineering degree in the past few years are all gainfully employed in their field...
Do you know of any engineering graduates from any school who are not gainfully employed in their fields, other than those who choose not to be (e.g. someone in grad school, or a stay at home mother)? I don't, and I know a lot of young engineers. The ones I know graduated from Colorado School of Mines, Colorado State University and the University of Colorado.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-14-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you know of any engineering graduates from any school who are not gainfully employed in their fields, other than those who choose not to be (e.g. someone in grad school, or a stay at home mother)? I don't, and I know a lot of young engineers. The ones I know graduated from Colorado School of Mines, Colorado State University and the University of Colorado.
The OP's niece isn't considering the Colorado schools so does it matter??

Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
My niece loves skiing and snowboarding.Hmmmm...perhaps I'll send her these ideas on facebook. Sounds like a plan.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
My niece is a talented student and attends Bronx High School of Science. She is interested in Engineering and finances are an issue. Her grades are excellent.

That is wonderful. Good luck to her!

My sister does not want her to go very far away from home. New England, Middle Atlantic, Upper South Eastern Mid-West.

That is an obstacle... it really isn't your sister's choice.

My brother and I are concerned that she is pushing her towards schools where she will literally be the poorest student on campus. (My sister is an adjunct instructor and freelance writer, she is divorced and her ex lives in Europe)

The wealth of the individual doesn't really matter. I know, when I was in school, I saw the guys that flew in from Hawaii with their Porsches, but they often were far from the top of their class. A friend of mine came from Vietnam with $20 in her pocket, and now she is one of the top plastic surgeons at MA General. My roomate had to pay for his education entirely himself, as his parents were to cheap to do it, and my father had to do the same thing, all the way through a PhD at an Ivy League.

We also want her to have a normal college experience. I know that some Institutes of Technology are real pressure cookers. Many serious highly strung students and virtually no social life.

Yes, the IT's are pressure cookers. I went to one. BUT, the social life was excellent in Boston/Cambridge. It is not 'all work and no play'. (Otherwise, how would we get the police car on top of the great dome?)

She has not had much of a normal life in HS and my brother and I hope that college will be a relief for her. And time away from my sister

She has a very high - bizarrely high weighted average.

That is excellent... then she should likely do well.

I am thinking that a good strategy would be to apply to well funded schools a tier or two below what she might be accepted to.

The 2nd-tier colleges are they themselves also excellent. You don't need an Ivy League to get a wonderful education.

Any suggestions? I think that my sister is categorically against State Colleges, but I will suggest them anyway. I think the girl would feel good being a big fish in a small pond - on a number of levels.

There are many state schools that are very, very good. My only suggestion is that she not regionally limit her choices.
Comments in red.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

I am not in any way trying to turn her into a slacker or a sorority sister. She lives about 5 blocks from Cooper Union and wants to go away from home. Even her mother agrees with this.

My brother-in-law, nephew, and cousin all attended The Webb Institute in Glen Cove, Long Island. It's a very insular college experience. They all did well, but there are still (as of 2006) sp few women there, that I doubt she would be interested. She also hates Long Island. It's where her mom and I grew up.

M.I.T. is on her radar.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM

She also turned down Stony Brook because of her hatred of Long Island. The school went on a class trip there to meet with a recruiter and she thought it was isolated.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
She also turned down Stony Brook because of her hatred of Long Island. The school went on a class trip there to meet with a recruiter and she thought it was isolated.
It is isolated. I didn't want to go there myself (I grew up in Long Island too and am familiar with the area around Stony Brook). There's nothing nearby, no collegetown just some suburban home. One plus is there's a train station that makes it easy to get out. Stony Brook might be a decent backup choice.

A suggested before, she should add Carneige Mellon and Cornell to her list. A bit less techie than MIT and easier to get into, but still very good schools. Cornell is very isolated but at least it's surrounded by a vibrant college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities