Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

I just want to see what you all think.

I recently moved to California, and I love it here.

But one major problem my background is in higher education, and California higher education has experienced MAJOR budget cuts.

So, in addition to a customer service day job, I have decided that I am going to start my own tutoring service.

I will look into getting a business license if needed, and create business cards and a website.

But it seems the easiest way to get my name and services out there, is to network with area professors and instructors and give them my contact information to give to students.

Most colleges and universities already have tutoring centers which are free, but they often have restrictions in terms of how much time to spend per student and location of tutoring. I would figure I would meet students at coffee shops, libraries, etc. around the universities.

I have my masters in my field with a few extra credit hours beyond that, and I have been teaching community college for five years.

So, my basic question is, is there anything wrong with marketing/advertising
directly through professors themselves? They are very busy certainly, yet do want to see students succeed. I figured I can make short 15 minute appointments with many professors in the subject matter I teach, make a good impression on them, and then they would feel comfortable passing my contact info to their students.

I see nothing wrong with that. It seems effective and efficient. But I just want to get your perspective.

I am not looking to extort students by any means, just looking to pay a competitive price of what is normally charged, while not selling myself cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Most, if not all, will not do it and there is probably a university policy against it. If you want to get the info out there, you will need to go through appropriate and authorized means, whether that means free posters on bulletin boards, paying a small fee to advertise in the student news paper, or having your business added to an off-campus resource list. In short, yes, there is something wrong with it. It is not the professor's job to try and direct his students to a private business venture. It is too easy to be accused of getting kick-backs or engaging in unethical conduct. No one wants to have to defend themselves against a false claim.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM

OK. Thanks for being honest with me.

I didn't want to go and make an ass out of myself, and/or shoot myself in the foot, in case future teaching opportunities pop up.

Do you think those avenues are better than general ads on craigslist?

Maybe I should ask some students where they would most likely look if they needed tutoring. That might be the best idea and then explore the possibilities of those avenues.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I never heard of a college student looking for a tutor on craigslist. Craiglist is passive advertisement--you need more aggressive advertisement. I think most tutoring needs are met by the universities. I needed some tutoring for physics and there was not any restriction on the number of times I went. I don't know what you teach, but maybe you could consider tutoring high school kids.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Back in the dinosaur age, when I was a college student, I saw posters on the bulletin boards offering tutor services. Go to the coffee shops where you plan to work anyway, and post them. Then make sure that you have those little tear-off tabs with your phone number and email address handy and keep an eye on them b/c others will come in and pin up other stuff on top of yours or the company will clean it up every week or so and throw stuff away.

I don't think it's a bad idea to let your profs know that you're tutoring and if you're good they'll recommend you anyway through word of mouth, but I doubt they'll start advertising for you right off the bat--it's their rep on the line too if you don't do what you say you will or if you're not dependable. Not saying you won't be, but a prof won't know until you have built your own reputation.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
OK. Thanks for being honest with me.

I didn't want to go and make an ass out of myself, and/or shoot myself in the foot, in case future teaching opportunities pop up.

Do you think those avenues are better than general ads on craigslist?

Maybe I should ask some students where they would most likely look if they needed tutoring. That might be the best idea and then explore the possibilities of those avenues.

Craigslist is no good for tutoring anymore - the only responses you get are spam and scams. You CAN advertise through a university or college department or at certain places on campus. Many departments have a bulletin board for tutors, and there are similar places on campuses where you can post a flier. Of course, professors cannot do what you suggested - its unethical.

You can also look into online tutoring services like edufire and others. I can tell you that it is very difficult to make a living as a tutor, but if you work really hard you can make some extra cash. I don't know if it will support you or not, though.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times
Maybe it is different in Calif. but in Penna every college has tutoring avail. free of charge to students and there is no limit. Also a mutual mtg place is agreed upon. No harm in trying, but I don't think college tutoring has a huge need if you have to pay for it. As someone suggested, maybe high school
would be a better avenue or college students looking for a tutor for the GRE.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM

I might look directly into the tutoring centers at the colleges and universities directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities