Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
MEDICAL SCHOOLS do not like this--not Undergrads. Again, go over to the student/doctor forums and look at the information there...
I"d really appreciate it if you could just provide a link. I don't feel like slogging through Google to find this info.

If someone does 2 years at CC, what has s/he taken that is a pre-req for med school anyway? Maybe a bio or chem course that is a pre-req to other bio and chem undergrad courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,510 times
Becoming a dentist is not for u. It would be a waste of time. Its hard as it to get into one, so u would have almost no chance and would be stuck with so much debt that it will hurt your familyy

Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I"d really appreciate it if you could just provide a link. I don't feel like slogging through Google to find this info.

If someone does 2 years at CC, what has s/he taken that is a pre-req for med school anyway? Maybe a bio or chem course that is a pre-req to other bio and chem undergrad courses.
See the TOS as to why I didn't provide a link...search Student/Doctor Forums....

Biology and Chemistry are both pre-reqs for medical school....

Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
See the TOS as to why I didn't provide a link...search Student/Doctor Forums....

Biology and Chemistry are both pre-reqs for medical school....
LOL! I just did google this, and apparently you've got a lot of people doing same. The consensus seems to be that YES, med schools will accept CC credit. mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 03-13-2012 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: not necessary

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
why do you need to become a dentist FAST? you obviously weren't in a hurry before. calm down, take your time and do it right.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! I just did google this, and apparently you've got a lot of people doing same. The consensus seems to be that YES, med schools will accept CC credit. No lie, med schools require biology and chemistry! I'm so glad you told me that! I would have never guessed! (Sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm!)

I recently spoke with an admissions counselor at Tufts Med School about enrolling. I come from a social sciences background but my employer offers a dual MBA in healthcare management (which I am working on now)/MD with Tufts so I wanted to maximize on the "free" until I recoup financially from cancer and am able to enroll full time. I had hoped to take the bulk of my science and math prereqs at a community college to save some money and for the easier scheduling. They told me that would be a no-go, regardless of the fact that I have a degree from a well regarded undergraduate program, healthcare-based graduate work, and a LOT of experience in the cancer community.

YMMV at other med schools, but I have a feeling that's pretty typical.

Last edited by charolastra00; 03-13-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I was a pre-dent before realizing that it wasn't for me. You don't want to do a dental hygiene route and you need a bachelors degree. You need a very good gpa with a lot of shadowing hours and also a high DAT score. There's absolutely nothing easy about it, I'm glad I found my calling in life to do Engineering, I'm watching an old friend of mine going on his 3rd rotation for dental school admissions. He is now working on a mastersi in Biology to be more competitive.

The fastest way is to go directly to a 4 year college and get on a degree track to allow you to graduate in 4 years or less. Major in Chemistry. A chemistry degree will cover all of the pre-reqs needed for dental school so you won't have to take any extra classes.

To add to the current discussion, dental schools and med schools DO accept community college credits. How do I know this? A girl I went to a community college with a while back is now in med school. Don't listen to the people who say med schools don't accept it. That is complete BS, there might be some schools out there that look down on it, but just don't apply to those schools. You should never feel you are a less competitive applicant because you started at a community college. Work hard, get research in and study for your standarized test and you'll be fine.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I was a pre-dent before realizing that it wasn't for me. You don't want to do a dental hygiene route and you need a bachelors degree. You need a very good gpa with a lot of shadowing hours and also a high DAT score. There's absolutely nothing easy about it, I'm glad I found my calling in life to do Engineering, I'm watching an old friend of mine going on his 3rd rotation for dental school admissions. He is now working on a mastersi in Biology to be more competitive.

The fastest way is to go directly to a 4 year college and get on a degree track to allow you to graduate in 4 years or less. Major in Chemistry. A chemistry degree will cover all of the pre-reqs needed for dental school so you won't have to take any extra classes.

To add to the current discussion, dental schools and med schools DO accept community college credits. How do I know this? A girl I went to a community college with a while back is now in med school. Don't listen to the people who say med schools don't accept it. That is complete BS, there might be some schools out there that look down on it, but just don't apply to those schools. You should never feel you are a less competitive applicant because you started at a community college. Work hard, get research in and study for your standarized test and you'll be fine.
Ask OU - Medical School Admissions - Oakland University

Will OUWB accept community college classes for prerequisite coursework?
Yes, the OUWB School of Medicine will accept prerequisite coursework taken at a community college. However, students are encouraged to take additional upper level science courses at a four-year institution in preparation for MCAT and medical school coursewo
rk

From one of the student/doctor forums:

There is nothing wrong with taking some classes at CC. I did 2 years at a community school. As long as you take many upper level science courses at a university and do well in them, you'll be fine. This may not be the optimum choice, but in my opinion if you take enough upper level courses at the university, CC classes will hurt you very little, if at all. Probably not at all at MOST schools. Then again, if your heart is set on Harvard/ Hopkins, etc., it would probably be smart to stick to the university.

I took an overwhelming number of courses at a cc before I transferred to UCSD. It never came up during any of my interviews. The only concern with cc classes is that if you already go to a 4 year uni and go back to take classes at a cc to finish pre-reqs, it will seem like you were looking for an easy grade.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:16 PM

Getting Started | How to Apply | Office of Admissions | UCSF School of Medicine

Only 105 acceptable quarter units can be transferred from a junior or community college.

Note "only" 105 quarter credits, or ~ 2 years' worth of credits.

Frequently Asked Admissions Questions - School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota (http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/programs_admissions/DDS_Program/admissions_information/faq_2005_to_2006_dds/home.html - broken link)
The minimum number of credits required for admission is 87 semester hours or 130 quarter hours. Applicants can take a maximum of 64 semester hours or 96 quarter hours at a community college but credits from a technical college generally do not transfer.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Sure, they love transfer students into their nursing programs, their teaching programs, etc. but MEDIAL and DENTAL schools do not like CC credits for pre-reqs for medical school (science and math mostly). Head over to the student/doctor forums and see what one of the most common reasons for rejection into medical or dental school is, CC classes for pre-reqs.

You better tell The Universities of Kentucky and Louisville BOTH that then, cause they both have excellent reciprocal relationships with the KCTCS community college systems, and redily accept credits from there for ANY program.

Maybe it's different where you are, but here in the Bluegrass our two major Uni's accept CC credits for any program with no issues. Especially since the KCTCS system used to be a part of the UK extension system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities