Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it too late for me to still pursue my dream of going to a prestigious grad program?
Yes, it is too late, do good and make the best of what you can though 10 34.48%
Only if we are talking Ivies but you still have a chance, keep pushing 3 10.34%
Keep pushing, you may still have a chance at the Ivies, don't give up! 2 6.90%
You are only 19, keep calm, it can happen if you do good from here 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,173,944 times

Advertisements

You need 60 hours from a university in order to graduate. So unless you are planning on transferring immediately you will be taking extra classes to graduate.

From the statistics you provided there is almost no way you get into any of the law schools you mentioned.

I know people with 3.9+ and 164-166s on their LSATs that got rejected from Northwestern.

Best case scenario you end up with a 3.3ish (that is straight 4.0 for your last 60 hours) and a 1900 on the SAT probably translates to a low to mid 150s on the LSAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,169,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You need 60 hours from a university in order to graduate. So unless you are planning on transferring immediately you will be taking extra classes to graduate.

From the statistics you provided there is almost no way you get into any of the law schools you mentioned.

I know people with 3.9+ and 164-166s on their LSATs that got rejected from Northwestern.

Best case scenario you end up with a 3.3ish (that is straight 4.0 for your last 60 hours) and a 1900 on the SAT probably translates to a low to mid 150s on the LSAT.
probably because those are low LSAT scores. on the other hand its hard to make up for a low gpa, too. the op would have to study hard

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp...e-Programs.htm

Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,876,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
for now I have made it my goal to transfer though, I just really find it suffocating to live at home while going to college.
I noticed that you did not answer my questions. Can you at least tell us if your parents have had a change of heart and are allowing you to transfer, live in the dorms and major in what you want? Will they pay for this. For those who wonder why I ask this, please see this poster's "Poll" and post on the Parenting Forum.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM

125 posts, read 268,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I noticed that you did not answer my questions. Can you at least tell us if your parents have had a change of heart and are allowing you to transfer, live in the dorms and major in what you want? Will they pay for this. For those who wonder why I ask this, please see this poster's "Poll" and post on the Parenting Forum.
I do not believe in carrying over drama from one thread to a thread on a completely different section

Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post

what about retaking classes and such?

and plus my bad grades are in science classes, what if I do good in classes relevant to law and such

can I do things after college to boost my application?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM

can't I just aim for graduate studies, do good in those, and then try to apply for professional school that way?

Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I do not believe in carrying over drama from one thread to a thread on a completely different section
Why not let the people trying to offer help decide for themselves. Both threads are about the same issue, but stated differently.

Read this for fuller picture:

Worst parents you have ever known in real life? (share your story, mines in here)

Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
can't I just aim for graduate studies, do good in those, and then try to apply for professional school that way?
I don't know if this has been suggested, but your current and future colleges must have an advisement dept. They are in a better position (they will have a copy of your transcript) to guide you. People have overcome shaky starts to become stellar students and go on to great graduate programs. However, no one will have the answers for you except for an advisor.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM

I am not a fan of flame wars but they happen. Everyone, obviously the user "gimme it" is trying to bring something completely irrelevant (or mostly irrelevant) to the situation on here. Not only will it fail to solve problems, it will create more issues. I urge you to ignore the parents thread and her outlook on it and be more objective as you have been in giving me educational advice. You have all been helpful and supportive in this matter to me, I would like for it to stay that way.

As a member, I find the crowd on this section is far more understanding of the issue and willing to offer a resolution as opposed to just outright attacking me and calling me a whiner (which I have been occasionally).

Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
??
Why ignore a thread that YOU started? If you don't want comments, don't start threads.

(BTW... the two thread are relevant together.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities