Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,845,542 times

Advertisements

Which states do you consider having one flagship public university and which states do you consider having two flagship public universities.

Which schools make up both groups?

I'm thinking of examples like one flagship:

Arkansas:

•*University of Arkansas

Two flagships:

Michigan:

• University of Michigan

• Michigan State University

(you can't always tell by the name of the institution: Ohio is not a flagship in Ohio and Illinois State is not a flagship in Illinois)

And would you consider any US state actually operating with three public flagship universities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
NJ has one

Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,429,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
And would you consider any US state actually operating with three public flagship universities?
California? UC Berkeley, USC, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine are all in top 50 of the US News and World Report's Best National Universities for 2011.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,409 times
Oklahoma has two...Oklahoma State and University of Oklahoma.

I know the other UCs are highly ranked, but I don't think any of them have the profile of UCLA or Berkeley.
USC is not public, so I guess I would consider California to have two public flagships.

Arizona and Arizona State? Not sure if Northern Arizona would be a flagship. Only spent limited time there so I don't know the reputations of the schools. Guess New Mexico and New Mexico State would be similar.

Nebraska would be another state with only one.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM

80 posts, read 400,404 times
NY has: Binghamton, Stony Brook, Albany and Buffalo. Also, part of Cornell is SUNY so I guess that would count as well. 5 total.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
University of Missouri

Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
I don't think there's a University of Louisiana.. and if there is that goes against the typical trend because Louisiana State University is the flagship university and also the best in the state.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't think there's a University of Louisiana.. and if there is that goes against the typical trend because Louisiana State University is the flagship university and also the best in the state.
Yeah, exactly, and who would have thought the University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League school from its name? And that the University of Detroit is Jesuit/Catholic?

Let's see, all of the following states, though large, have one and it's named University of (insert state name). That said, these states, to me, have one:
MI, TX, FL, IL, CO, AZ, VA, WA. I think that we can say this because all the disciplines are there, despite claims Michigan State and Texas A&M might be flagships, I don't think they are.

On the other hand, GA, NC, IN and OR, for example, have two, because not all the disciplines are offered at each.....so UGa/GT, UNC/NCSU, Purdue/IU, UofO/OSU...the only exception may become UGa which just kicked off an engineering school, probably to take the "overflow" from GT.

The only state that has two public flagships is CA, because it has the population of Argentina or Spain. Those would be Berkeley and UCLA. Berkeley does not have a medical school, but UCSF is a graduate-only health related campus in the same metro area. However, the mother campus is Berkeley. I think it was founded in 1868 and UCLA somewhere in the early 1900s. Sure would have been nice to come from a long line of land-owners near each of those campuses.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,268,139 times
I am used to 'flagship' meaning singular best in a group. Each state would have one flagship public university.

I don't really understand criteria used to have more than one flagship. Well ranked? Would that ranking be used to compare to other states? Could you just use this link Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News ?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedDegree View Post
UGA is clearly the flagship school and better overall than GT. What's NCSU? The only school at the UNC level in NC is Duke, which is a private school.

Purdue and IU is interesting combination, but Purdue is clearly better though, not only nationally, but also internationally.

Even in CA, Berkeley is clearly better than UCLA, just like Stanford is clearly better than Berkeley.
The thing about North Carolina is that it can be hard to tell because UNC and NCSU were set up to do different things. UNC has historically been the school for stuff like Law, Medicine, Social sciences/humanities etc. NCSU has historically been the school for stuff like Engineering, agriculture/veterinary medicine, life sciences, and advanced technical degrees.

Generally though UNC is considered the flagship simply because of its wider reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities