Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times

Advertisements

I live near Northwestern and have had many friends/family go there. It has an excellent reputation in the area particularly the med/dental, journalism, Kellogg business (despite that fiasco with the sex demonstration class a few years back, but hopefully that was an anomaly). Compared to other Big 10 schools in the area, it has the reputation of students being more studious/less partiers, etc. (heard this from many alum) despite having a Big 10 football program. It has a beautiful lakes side Evanston campus with immediate access to Chicago which I'd think would provide an excellent backdrop for a political science degree considering how lively (and corrupt) Chicago area politics is. However, I do not have any first hand information on the political science school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I live near Northwestern and have had many friends/family go there. It has an excellent reputation in the area particularly the med/dental, journalism, Kellogg business (despite that fiasco with the sex demonstration class a few years back, but hopefully that was an anomaly).
What happened? Was this big news?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Was this big news?
Yes... Though it had nothing to do with the Kellogg Business School. My earlier post was not clear on that. IMO it was a really poor decision by a professor that did not reflect well on the school, though I'm sure many try to defend the "freedom of expression" that it represents. Anyhow, I still believe it is an excellent school despite that one event. Here's more info...

The Story Behind Northwestern University

Northwestern University Professor Under Fire After Class Sex Toy Demonstration

Northwestern University Professor Defends Explicit Sex Toy Demonstration After Class | Fox News

Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Go to Collegeprowler.com and you can compare the two in many areas. Wash U in St. Louis seems to get high ratings in many, many areas. Northwestern has the more familar name.

Here: I did it for you. Click on the tabs. It also compares similarly ranked schools.

http://collegeprowler.com/compare/de...+University%2c

Old 04-08-2012, 03:55 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
I was accepted to Northwestern last year, and I have friends at both Northwestern and WashU. Northwestern has the more well-known name, and I would imagine that there are better networking opportunities in politics at Northwestern simply because of its proximity to Chicago. Really though, both are great schools, and I don't think you could make a bad decision either way. It just comes down to personal preference.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
They're both good schools and well regarded, and neither is going to hurt you.

Base your decision upon which one you prefer, yourself. You're the one who's going to have to live there and study there. Make sure you can tolerate living where you've got to, that the faculty is one you feel you can work with, which you you can best afford/afford to live, gut reaction. Do not underestimate the gut reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities