Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 PM

310 posts, read 1,024,498 times

Advertisements

I feel that they are. I am in college and have an excellent GPA. However, I think tests are a huge waste of time. I spend all of our time preparing for exams, when I could be indulging myself in learning the material, just for the sake of learning it, and just because I enjoy it, not because I have to pass some 1 hour exam.

For example, I love learning about economics, but I can't actually learn anything about economics because I have to spend all my time preparing for exams. What happened to learning for the sake of learning?

Also, many exams have certain logical "tricks", esp multiple choice, that you can get the right answer without knowing the material at all.

So, I say we do away with exams What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 PM

41 posts, read 92,740 times
I believe they are necessary. I actually like testing. My reasoning is if you can't answer basic questions about what you have been learning for a reasonable amount of time you have not really learned anything.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
I feel that they are. I am in college and have an excellent GPA. However, I think tests are a huge waste of time. I spend all of our time preparing for exams, when I could be indulging myself in learning the material, just for the sake of learning it, and just because I enjoy it, not because I have to pass some 1 hour exam.

For example, I love learning about economics, but I can't actually learn anything about economics because I have to spend all my time preparing for exams. What happened to learning for the sake of learning?

Also, many exams have certain logical "tricks", esp multiple choice, that you can get the right answer without knowing the material at all.

So, I say we do away with exams What do you all think?

Then I would say that you are the exception. Exams are the only way to get most students to even look at their text books.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
I spend all of our time preparing for exams, when I could be indulging myself in learning the material, just for the sake of learning it
Wait, I'm confused. Aren't you, in the process of learning the material, also preparing for a test on that material? Aren't tests often just on the material you've learned? I don't understand why learning and prepping for a test are mutually exclusive.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Testing students is an effective way of measuring their critical thinking, time management, and resourcefulness skills. It is a way of 'certifying', if you will, a student's ability to solve problems independently and in a reasonable amount of time.

These things sound like a "waste of time" to you now, but when employers start to look for you, they will expect you to possess these essential skills. And believe me... you will use them on a daily basis at work.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiickled View Post
i believe they are necessary. I actually like testing. My reasoning is if you can't answer basic questions about what you have been learning for a reasonable amount of time you have not really learned anything.
+1

Old 04-06-2012, 12:46 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
I've had a number of classes that had no exams. Whether these were art studio classes, or culminated with a thesis was up to the design of the class.

Maybe if you don't like exams, you should go to art school? But be warned, you'll still have exams for GE and art history classes.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
I use mixed assessments in my class. Exams to test your basic knowledge (have you read the textbook, do you know the terms, etc.). Essays and other assignments to evaluate critical thinking skills and to provide an opportunity for students explore some of the topics in more depth.

Unfortunately, grading based exclusively on multiple choice exams are almost a necessity in large classes.

There are some colleges that don't have exams and grades, just credit. Evergreen in Washington State uses the portfolio method. There was a college in NC that also followed that model, but I can't recall the name.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,402 times
Some areas of study really shouldn't be having scantron tests and exams, but final projects/group projects/ essays/papers/etc. For example, computer science classes and related areas should have projects to show knowledge in the course.

Other areas of study there's no real other way to test knowledge. Some of the basic biology classes had no other way to test that the students knew the information that they were being taught.

"What happened to learning for the sake of learning?"
That's called a credit/no credit or just a no-credit class.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Speaking from the point of a retired teacher went to both a college and university and taught almost 30 years in public schools:

-Multiple choice tests are useless. You can simply guess, unless it is one where an incorrect answer gets more points taken off than no answer at all.
-Essays during a test are worthwhile if you can write quickly.
-Math tests where you need to show your work are very valid.
-Final exams will never disappear as long as administration gets their way.

Personally, I liked to assign actual papers that made students use both text and research. It gave me a better insight into their thought process; I could also really tell if they did the work -- based on what I saw in class writing (not necessarily a test, perhaps a worksheet or research period). Quick quizzes were good for "on your toes" thinking. [You need to have done the work to handle those, but if someone only reads the book and retains all info, then those will all be right and I don't know how they think]

With anyone, it is truly what you feel better doing: One of my daughters liked tests. She did well on them. The other was more comfortable with papers and hands on work in college. [They both did the same degree at the same college.]

Tests are inadequate. You need a wider range of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities