Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Mind boggling, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You think it is just online universities? Even the big name unis are out to suck their students dry for all they're worth. By 2018, the department of education predicts their will be more admins at universities than actual professors. We all know where those outrageous tuition fees are going--admin salaries and building renovations to make college campuses look like country clubs. Very little of it is being used for education.
I agree! The school I go to all they care about is FOOTBALL. They are even building an athletic village and will be spending $200 million on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,630 times
I wish I was paying that much. Where I go its $450 per credit and its a public university. Tell your husband to drop that class and see if he can get some of his money back if its not too late. Tell him to look at local accredited schools. Some schools might have an adult program for adults who are going back to school, but who also have full time jobs.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Doesn't it seem like they are taking advantage of these people? These classes cost over $300 per credit! These people most likely applied for and were given school loans. Even if they are able to complete whatever degree program they are enrolled in (and I would seriously doubt that many of these people will be able to), how are they possibly going to have a better like with all that debt to pay back? This school is very expensive!
I think there is no such thing as college "material." People who have a need to learn that did not learn in their public school have to get their "learning" from somewhere, and lord knows our public schools are failing in many areas.

As for each person's situation, I have to assume they are adults, and presumed competent to make their own decisions. If your DH follows the course work and doesn't feel he's gotten what the school has promised from it, then I think he should make a formal complaint. IF he doesn't want to continue, because he didn't realize how expensive it is, he should withdraw. Otherwise, I believe he should be the best student and classmate he can be, and let the others do the best they can in the situations they signed up for, in each of their lives.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
One of the selling points for this college as far as my husband was concerned was that the credits do not expire. In the past he has taken classes at our local community college, but those credits do expire. He would have had to retake classes in the end in order to complete the program he is pursuing. Also, community colleges only offer transfer degrees or associates - he liked the idea of attending a school which offers a 4 year degree. And supposedly this college is accredited, by regional, state, and national accreditation commissions and boards.

Because of his schedule - he sometimes works days, sometimes nights, and they have a rotating on-call schedule, and he is often out of town for work as well (training and workshops and conferences and things) he would not even be able to do a night or weekend class without missing a lot of classes. Last week they had an outage which affected first responders such as fire fighters and police, and so he was literally working for 52 hours straight to fix the problem. He has one of those jobs where it can be very slow for awhile but then get very intense and stressful very quickly. Even when he is not officially on-call, he often gets calls because there are things he knows how to do or is certified to do that no one else in the area knows how to do. So, you see how a traditional school setting would be difficult if not impossible for him to do.

He chose this particular online college because it did seem more legit than places like Devry or ITT Tech or University of Phoenix. He chose Colorado Tech University, which does have a brick and mortar campus in Colorado.

LookinForMayberry - He knew how expensive it was going in - but it's not an issue for him because his company pays for his tuition. He is doing his best, and he's not interfering with the other students in any way, in fact, he's been quite supportive towards them. That's not what this thread is about. These other students are adults, but they don't seem to know how to follow simple directions or compose sentences. They also carry with them an awful lot of daily stress - one woman wrote how she had to "keep moving" because of her inability to keep paying rent!

Also, as far as people needing to learn - there are remedial college classes at local community colleges for that.

I just cannot believe the university would take these people on knowing that they are just digging themselves into bigger financial holes. These exorbitant school loan debts you cannot get rid of with bankruptcy - of which was also mentioned quite a bit in many of their introductions.

It just seems inhumane and unethical to abuse the poor like this. I had no idea.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Colorado Tech's tuition sounds reasonable until you find out they're on the quarter hour system. Instead of paying for around 120 credits, he'll pay for around 180 credits. Colorado Tech is a little better than University of Phoenix, but it's still mostly busy work.

Like others have said, there are plenty of non-profit schools offering online degrees. I'm in Texas and there are schools here offering online degrees to residents for less than $200 per credit. Another, more flexible option would be Western Governors University, which is a non-profit and self-paced. They require a simple entrance exam to determine college readiness and charge less than $3,000 per semester in which you can complete as many credits as possible. .

Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Colorado Tech's tuition sounds reasonable until you find out they're on the quarter hour system. Instead of paying for around 120 credits, he'll pay for around 180 credits. Colorado Tech is a little better than University of Phoenix, but it's still mostly busy work.

Like others have said, there are plenty of non-profit schools offering online degrees. I'm in Texas and there are schools here offering online degrees to residents for less than $200 per credit. Another, more flexible option would be Western Governors University, which is a non-profit and self-paced. They require a simple entrance exam to determine college readiness and charge less than $3,000 per semester in which you can complete as many credits as possible. .
Thank you! That's good info.

He personally doesn't care about the cost, as his company is paying his tuition - it's not coming out of our pocket.

I was planning on enrolling at our local community college, but for the past two weeks every time I am at the campus I feel like a cow among the herd. Enrollment is at an all-time high and there are not enough parking spaces. There are also not enough staff to handle the incoming students due to budget cuts and staff cuts. (This doesn't make sense to me - with such high enrollment you'd think the college would be doing fine budget-wise?) I was told that it is taking on average 8 weeks to process financial aid applications. Anyway - the crowds and the waiting in the long lines for half a day (I am not exaggerating, this is my true experience so far...) and the fighting over classes, and classes filling up too quick, and the lack of decent parking is really putting me off! Perhaps I will check into the Western Governors University, or other non-profit online schools. I didn't know those existed until I read the responses to this thread. I thought they were all for profit. I'm wondering if paying $20-$30 more per credit is worth it not to have to deal with the herd mentality! (At our CC the current tuition is about $90 per credit hour plus there are $160 in extra fees per term.)

Anyway - thanks.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What's really puzzling is that there are many perfectly good schools that offer online degrees, for less money than the private for-profit diploma mills, yet people still choose to waste huge sums of money on them.
The people who go to a for-profit do so because they can't get into other legit schools. It's the Only reason to pay so much for an inferior education.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:00 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,424 times
The for-profit universities are mostly bad. University of Phoenix, Everest, Rasmussen, ITT Tech, Devry, etc. are all overpriced and very inconsistent in terms of quality. Justifiably so, they also have very poor reputations among employers. Enroll at a community college or a public university and take online classes through them. I know here in New York, the SUNY system has online degree programs through many of their campuses. Your degree will be from a public university rather than an online school, the tuition is low, they offer bachelors and masters, and the quality of education is good. A friend of mine finished his degree online through the University of Buffalo, and the great thing is that the degree makes no distinction of it being an online program. Plain and simple, it's a regular degree from the college so employers won't even see that the degree was earned online. I know other states have similar online programs as well.

Last edited by jayp1188; 05-26-2012 at 10:12 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Thank you! That's good info.

He personally doesn't care about the cost, as his company is paying his tuition - it's not coming out of our pocket.

I was planning on enrolling at our local community college, but for the past two weeks every time I am at the campus I feel like a cow among the herd. Enrollment is at an all-time high and there are not enough parking spaces. There are also not enough staff to handle the incoming students due to budget cuts and staff cuts. (This doesn't make sense to me - with such high enrollment you'd think the college would be doing fine budget-wise?) I was told that it is taking on average 8 weeks to process financial aid applications. Anyway - the crowds and the waiting in the long lines for half a day (I am not exaggerating, this is my true experience so far...) and the fighting over classes, and classes filling up too quick, and the lack of decent parking is really putting me off! Perhaps I will check into the Western Governors University, or other non-profit online schools. I didn't know those existed until I read the responses to this thread. I thought they were all for profit. I'm wondering if paying $20-$30 more per credit is worth it not to have to deal with the herd mentality! (At our CC the current tuition is about $90 per credit hour plus there are $160 in extra fees per term.)

Anyway - thanks.
From personal experience, I know it is extremely frustrating trying to enroll at community colleges. One of the best I know of is Central Texas College, but it's only relatively cheap for in-state and in-district students. Other community colleges tend to be heavily bogged down. I can tell you though, once I got enrolled at a local community college, the online programs were just as flexible as those offered by for-profit schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The people who go to a for-profit do so because they can't get into other legit schools. It's the Only reason to pay so much for an inferior education.
Another reason is that people don't do their research. They only hear about schools like UoP, Devry, and Kaplan through advertising and think those are their only options. Some people also sign up for for-profits because it's less of a hassle. They make the application, enrollment, and financial aid process extremely easy; and, they also don't have to worry about taking entrance exams. I know a guy who was perfectly capable of getting into a non-profit, brick and mortar school; but he opted for a for-profit because he thought entrance exams were ridiculous and that traditional universities are too inexperienced to administer online programs in a satisfactory manner.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think it's best to take online classes from a brick and mortar school with a good reputation.
I agree with this^ No good can come out of a for profit school.
Empty pockets and broken dreams.

But "online" is not synonymous with "for profit" and "proprietary."

Some private and public colleges offer degrees online that are every bit as respectable as in class degrees.
They work well for some working adults.

I think the format of online education does not work well for everyone, however. You should try one online class at a local CC to see if this format is a good fit for you, before committing to an entire degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities