Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM

467 posts, read 664,945 times

Advertisements

Then don't major in anything, drop out and get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
No don't "drop out and get a job"! "Undecided" is a perfectly legitimate way to begin college. And apparently, you already have a job. People should read before they post.

One of my sisters was undecided and she ended up majoring in liberal arts, then got her Master's in accounting.

It takes some people longer to figure out what they want to do.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroNinja View Post
Yeaa but Johns Hopkins gives $10,000 a year to go to school and when you finish they make you work there with your field for 2 years. My fiancee told me to just take general studies but I don't wanna waste my time doing that.
I would absolutely avail myself of that. I don't think General Studies is a waste of time at all. You just might take a class that changes your life and opens your mind!

Study what you love, follow your bliss, and money will come your way.
If you love history, study that.

I'd use that tuition thing now, because jobs come and go, you never know what the future holds.

However, an education in forever! Best of luck and go to school!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Why would you enter college when you don't know what you want to study. I saw plenty of these when I was in college and as time progess to commit they made chocie to follow easy degrees which did not mean employment or success in their field.Your only 19 and can benefit by employment also to save up until you actually know .

Old 06-07-2012, 12:34 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why would you enter college when you don't know what you want to study. I saw plenty of these when I was in college and as time progess to commit they made chocie to follow easy degrees which did not mean employment or success in their field.Your only 19 and can benefit by employment also to save up until you actually know .

My daughter entered college not knowing what she wanted to study. She is now a successful engineer, because a second-semester freshman year class sparked her interest.

I guess you CAN say she followed an "easy degree", as science and math (math especially!) come very easy to her. She started her engineering classes as a sophomore, and got out in 4 years total. (Worked her butt off with extra credits each semester as she was technically a year behind....)

Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why? Because she has that great ten grand a year thing from Johns Hopkins.

She doesn't even need to save up, they will pay for it!

Best advice - use it! She might discover her passion at college. Or she can sit around and wonder while Hopkins changes it's generous policy or there is an employment cutback.

I know someone to who that very same thing happened. It was through a hospital also, and he regrets to this day that he didn't use those benefits.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroNinja View Post
Hi, I'm 19 years old currently working at Johns Hopkins Hospital making 13/hr. I wanna go to community college soon but I have no idea what I want to major in AT ALL. My fiancee is majoring in Anthropology at the moment and seems to be doing well. I just have no idea what I want to do. I want to major in something that will have us financially set but I have still have no idea what I wanna do. Growing up my family struggled a lot and still does to this day so I want to make enough money so my future family won't have to go through that.

I'm interested in in History but I heard that that wan't a lucrative career to get into. I was also thinking about something in the healthcare field besides being a nurse but I really don't know. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
I'd find a career counselor personally. Almost every college has them. Just sit down and tell him/her what you just told us. They tend to be pretty good and helping you narrow down your field of interests. But don't just go to college with no idea, unless you just want to rack up debt without having a clear plan. Going to college is expensive enough as it is.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM

37 posts, read 71,705 times
Hey there

The great thing about community colleges is that it's just covering your basics. You'll get all the required classes out of the way and they will force you to take a few humanities, literacy courses etc to make you a "well rounded student." This isn't really a time where you need to settle hard core on a major, but it helps you to figure out what subjects you like and might want to pursue.

On another note: it's nice that your fiancee is studying something he seems to enjoy, but last I checked anthropology is dead end unless he wants to get an advanced degree to teach it. A lot of people will tell you to just major in what you like, but avoid the obviously stupid majors in an effort not to WASTE money. If you're going to get a degree, you need to make sure it's more useful than sociology or history. There are absolutely NO jobs in the history field besides teaching.

Get your Associates, and after a few semesters at a community college you will be able to narrow down what subjects you like, and hopefully will lead to a useful bachelors degree. You sound like you've got your head on straight as it is, you'll do great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities