Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 AM

70 posts, read 119,987 times

Advertisements

CIA and civilian military tattle tale squads like City Year. You can spy on american citizens - damn those domestic terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
As a person who majored in political science I find this thread pretty interesting. I have to say I have no regrets with my degree, but then again the plan for me was law school, which I am gearing up to apply to now having just received my LSAT score, ever since Sophomore year of college. I imagine political science may not be a great degree without a plan, but for me it worked just fine.

As to which degrees work for law school pretty much everything is fine so long as it isn't basket weaving and really what matters is your GPA and LSAT. Additionally from what I have heard your undergrad degree is really secondary in getting jobs out of law school. Essentially, from what I have heard, the key is ones grades in law school particularly in the first year as that determines who gets what internship during that first summer, with said internships often leading to jobs upon graduation.

Essentially from my understanding is if one is set on law school you should take the legitimate major that you are best at because ultimately GPA is the key thing you will take away from your undergraduate education. So if you know you can get a higher GPA doing a political science major rather then an accounting, English or business major, which was my case, I say go for it because I guerrntee you when applying to law schools the person with the 3.6 political science major is going to be chosen over the 3.0 Accounting major if their LSATs are similar. If you think you can get similar GPAs in a bunch of majors then you might want to look at what majors lawyers in the field you like have, but imho its not worth sacrificing .3 or more off your GPA to get what you think is a more appealing major because for just getting into law school every point on your LSAT and every 1/10 a point of your GPA counts.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,996 times
Don't major in political science or any liberal arts field, those degrees are a joke. I have a criminal justice and political science degree and it has done nothing to further my career. I have a difficult time finding a decent job in the city of Phila. Don't go to college unless you plan on majoring in computers or the sciences. I'm going to go out on a limb and say theat college is a complete waste of time and money, especially for liberal arts majors. You will come out of college with a degree and offered jobs that want to pay you 27 or 28 thousand dollars a year.......unbelievable right. You are better off going to a trade school and working your way up the ladder. People that did that are more successful in my opinion. Go to a 2 yr paralegal program, in abuot 5 years you could be earning very good money. The American Dream is just that a dream it's not reality.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:40 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
That's just wrong ntrue, WRONG. If you don't have a plan and a passion to pursue nothing is worthwhile...if you have a goal and a lib arts degree is part of that, then go for it.

I am a poli sci major...with a goal and knowing why I got into political science, as opposed to just doing it because it was there. And my grades reflect that...

Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times
The best thing to do with a PoliSci degree is to put it on the wall to cover a hole. That or fire fuel in the winter. :-)

Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
poli sci is good for law school or move to dc and beg someone for an entry level job in govt....otherwise good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
I have recently started looking into attending law school and have been told that one of the best Bachelor degree's to get would be in Political Science. My question is, if I don't get into law school, what can I do with that degree?
Think. See the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities