Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Average unemployment for recent high school dropouts: 31.5%
Average unemployment for job seekers with recent high school diploma: 22.9%
Average unemployment for students with new bachelors degree: 8.9%
Average combined unemployment rate for both recent college graduates and experienced bachelors degree holders: 5%
How Much More Will a College Graduate Make? | 15 Highest Paying Degrees - StraighterLine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If you had gone to college, you might have learned how to formulate a rational, evidence-based argument.
Well what do the articles show? Most people don't have a college degree. How is that not a rational, evidence based argument? If you were so educated, you would know that people can be very intelligent, wise and be able to formulate a "rational", "evidence-based" argument without going to expensive college.

College isn't the answer to everthing nor is it for everyone. I recently dropped out partly because I'm concerned about going in debt for the rest of my life. I don't want to do that for a piece of paper. It isn't a big deal anyway as most of my graduating class have dropped out as well and there are lots of jobs in my state that don't require college degrees.

Haven't you read all the articles about college grads leaving school with thousands of dollars in debt and still without a job then having to delay marriage and parenthood on top of that?

Last edited by 90sman; 06-21-2012 at 05:55 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well what do the articles show? Most people don't have a college degree. How is that not a rational, evidence based argument? If you were so educated, you would know that people can be very intelligent, wise and be able to formulate a "rational", "evidence-based" argument without going to expensive college.

College isn't the answer to everthing nor is it for everyone. I recently dropped out partly because I'm concerned about going in debt for the rest of my life. I don't want to do that for a piece of paper. It isn't a big deal anyway as most of my graduating class have dropped out as well and there are lots of jobs in my state that don't require college degrees.

Haven't you read all the articles about college grads leaving school with thousands of dollars in debt and still without a job then having to delay marriage and parenthood on top of that?
whats even worse is having the student loan debt without a degree to back it up. but anyway most decent students don't have to go into tons of debt to get a degree. you're better off not going to college in the first place if you're not college material. it is a shame how they scam people into thinking that its the right thing for everyone.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
whats even worse is having the student loan debt without a degree to back it up. but anyway most decent students don't have to go into tons of debt to get a degree. you're better off not going to college in the first place if you're not college material. it is a shame how they scam people into thinking that its the right thing for everyone.
This

Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
More evidence that college is worthless and an expensive waste of time and money.
thats a common refrain from people who never attended college. The facts remain people with college degrees earn more and have lower unemployment rates.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
on one hand you are against college but above you write as if marriage is required? non-sequitur? half of marriages end in divorce so why should people get married?, a better statistic is the more education, the lower the unemployement rate and here are some stats from the government that will hopefully enlighten you
http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

fact is you didn't want to go to college.. good for you.. but for someone who does, why try to put them down to make yourself feel better about the (wrong) choice you made? we should not encourage the dumbing down of america, especially in a global marketplace.. a mind is a terrible thing to waste and im sad at the waste I'm seeing here.

Last edited by minibrings; 06-22-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well what do the articles show? Most people don't have a college degree. ?
How is this a good argument for not going to college? Just because most do not go to college, doesn't necessarily mean a person SHOULDN'T ASPIRE TO BETTER THEMSELVES through education.

I went to college and I have 2 masters degrees. I've used my degrees and I earn a good living and I'm financially secure into retirement. If I want to buy a car, I can write a check and I don't have to worry about financing or buying gap insurance, etc. I can get any apartment or get approved for any mortgage with a credit rating over 800 and NO debt. Having college degrees was a key part of getting the jobs that I have had..

So Mr Expert on the benefit of no college, why was going to college a waste of my time? And please provide substantive, empirical research to back your claims the argument, most people dont do it is obtuse.

Last edited by minibrings; 06-22-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 03:26 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
Quote:
More evidence that college is worthless and an expensive waste of time and money.
Oh, how wrong can you be? College need not be expensive if you attend a JC the first two years and then a public University for the remaining two years. While it's true that in this dreadful economy, many college (and post-grad) graduates leave school with no job, they will eventually get one. And the job they land will be far more lucrative than the minimum wage job a HS diploma will get you.

Going to college and post-grad school was neither expensive or a 'waste of time' for me. I have made hundreds of thousands of dollars more in my career than someone with merely a HS diploma. Those jobs "earn" you the right to be a Walmart greeter or a sales clerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities