Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your last sentence really confirms what everyone else is saying - I don't need to have "first hand experience" with Liberty to dislike it. How would I get such experience unless I took a class there, sent a child there, or taught there.

And I would not go near the place with a ten foot pole! And I'm a Christian and a church counsel member! What about non - Christians? Atheists? Agnostics?

Falwell said that NYC deserved 9/11 and New Orleans deserved Katrina. I don't need to know more.
So you are basically condemning a whole University and the people in it for what one old fart said? For a church counsel member you are very intolerant. Blanket statements about anything has never served society well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
I would avoid online university programs not run by universities with really good reputations. Apparently Liberty's online program has over 80,000 students enrolled so it's no wonder the OP can never get personal attention in such a massive program. It's probably the for-profit part of the school and charges large tuition. These schools are in it for the money.

Here are some reviews of the online program. They are mixed to say the least:

Liberty University Reviews - Online Degree Reviews

Old 12-08-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I would avoid online university programs not run by universities with really good reputations. Apparently Liberty's online program has over 80,000 students enrolled so it's no wonder the OP can never get personal attention in such a massive program. It's probably the for-profit part of the school and charges large tuition. These schools are in it for the money.

Here are some reviews of the online program. They are mixed to say the least:

Liberty University Reviews - Online Degree Reviews
LU isn't a for-profi it's a non-profit. I would take that site with a grain of salt. Issue being LU doesn't have the most robust admission requirements. Something I do admit I do not like about LU. But because of that you get a massive amount of students. Some of which can't cut it. Then they blame the school. I've come to the conclusion that usually it's the unhappy people writing things on the Internet. The happy people are just that....happy. Just look at all the schools reviewed on this website http://www.onlinedegreereviews.org/college/ and LU has a similar overall view. Keep in mind a lot of these schools are well known and have a great rep outside of this website.

And the school can be expensive for non-military. I did the math. But the cost does include housing and food and it is about average compared to other private non-profit schools. But for vets and military it's just 250 a credit hour. That's for any level course. Out here in Afganstian LU is pretty popular with the military and vets alike.

Last edited by curtisc83; 12-08-2012 at 02:33 AM..

Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
LU isn't a for-profi it's a non-profit. I would take that site with a grain of salt. Issue being LU doesn't have the most robust admission requirements. Something I do admit I do not like about LU. But because of that you get a massive amount of students. Some of which can't cut it. Then they blame the school. I've come to the conclusion that usually it's the unhappy people writing things on the Internet. The happy people are just that....happy.

And the school can be expensive for non-military. I did the math. But the cost does include housing and food and it is about average compared to other private non-profit schools. But for vets and military it's just 250 a credit hour. That's for any level course. Out here in Afganstian LU is pretty popular with the military and vets alike.
The OP was complaining that she can't seem to get in contact with anyone at the school, which is probably because they have so many students, that it is a huge bureaucracy.

I would not feel comfortable with a school where you cannot even get simple feedback from the administration, in addition to not having a very good reputation. It's just a bad sign.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
The OP was complaining that she can't seem to get in contact with anyone at the school, which is probably because they have so many students, that it is a huge bureaucracy.

I would not feel comfortable with a school where you cannot even get simple feedback from the administration, in addition to not having a very good reputation. It's just a bad sign.
I have never had a bad experience with LU and anytime I call I get helped. I honestly don't know what the OP is talking about. Keep in mind I'm using my GI Bill and that makes the process even more complex. LU even has a online chat system built into there website to help people. I have two friends that have transferred to LU from UoP and they have had zero issues as well.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
While I abhor everything Falwell and this university stand for, I can't say that listing LU on your resume will be the death knell on any career. I have two cousins who went there, and one has been teaching elementary school for many years. Of course she lives in Lynchburg, now that I think of it, lol. The other -- not sure that she's done much of anything but pop out kids, to be honest. (not a condemnation for her choice, just fact.)

I went to a professional school that is not highly regarded. I got a huge scholarship and could fit classes in while working. In the end, my choice of school probably has limited my marketability for some jobs, but on the whole, no one has batted an eye when they learn where I went.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Liberty University is not that bad if you don't mind studying the absurdity that is Young Earth Creationism. If you attend on campus, the school does not officially recognize the Democrat club even though the students are pro-life and for "traditional" marriage. The Democrat club can't use the Liberty University name because of the Democratic Party platform. So much for being open-minded. They have a right to do this, but I don't think the school has progressed that much after Jerry Falwell's death.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Liberty University is not that bad if you don't mind studying the absurdity that is Young Earth Creationism. If you attend on campus, the school does not officially recognize the Democrat club even though the students are pro-life and for "traditional" marriage. The Democrat club can't use the Liberty University name because of the Democratic Party platform. So much for being open-minded. They have a right to do this, but I don't think the school has progressed that much after Jerry Falwell's death.
Liberty has changed quite a bit, but people who aren't around the area won't know and comment based more on what they think than reality. Obviously, state leaders seem to recognize that Liberty is more mainstream than not, since they have approved a new medical school that will have the newest DO program in Virginia since 2003.

I know some liberal bloggers who would go off on you for using the term Democrat in the way you have used it; they insist that it is "Democratic." I think Rush Limbaugh's and Sean Hannitty's (sic) use of the term has gotten some of the more shrill Democratic/liberal bloggers hot and bothered.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
They teach evolution too. Then the student decides what he or she believes in. Also they do not officially recognize the Republican student club either.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Liberty has changed quite a bit, but people who aren't around the area won't know and comment based more on what they think than reality. Obviously, state leaders seem to recognize that Liberty is more mainstream than not, since they have approved a new medical school that will have the newest DO program in Virginia since 2003.

I know some liberal bloggers who would go off on you for using the term Democrat in the way you have used it; they insist that it is "Democratic." I think Rush Limbaugh's and Sean Hannitty's (sic) use of the term has gotten some of the more shrill Democratic/liberal bloggers hot and bothered.
That's how Liberty University referred to it here. If you have a problem with it, then that's something you'll have to take up with them.

Op-Ed: Media's misrepresentation of club controversy | Liberty University

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
They teach evolution too. Then the student decides what he or she believes in. Also they do not officially recognize the Republican student club either.
That's fine for people who are interested in learning religious theories in a science class. There are a lot of religious theories out there about creationism. Why not teach them all?

Some believe that they revoked the recognition of the College Republicans because of the press they received for revoking the recognition of the College Democrats. However, it was probably because the College Republicans endorsed a gubernatorial candidate who did not support a total ban on abortion.

Last edited by L210; 12-11-2012 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities