Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times

Advertisements

This is a quite a long post because in order to get the most useful responses, I'll need to give you my background.

I have a BS in Family & Consumer Sciences that I earned in 2000. I ended up with that degree out of despair, really. I was massively burned out and needed to leave a school with a degree somewhat related to what I wanted to do; my parents had already spent far too much money after six years and I needed to just finish and move on.

I graduated from HS in 1994, headed to a community college where I earned an AS in 1996 and transferred to a school to major in Biology. The year I transferred, I had medical issues and was forced to return home after spending two semesters racking up courses in upper level science courses. While I was home for about six months, I came to the realization that what I really wanted to do was be a pre-K/preschool teacher - my second career choice.

Once my health was at 100% I chose to go to a different school that had a better education program rather than returning to the school where I had transferred as a Biology major. Everything was peachy at the beginning of my first semester but I slowly started to realize that the course work I was taking and would continue to take had greater emphasis in the K-Grade 3 area (due to teacher licensure) and not so much in the pre-K/preschool area even though the degree was in Early Childhood Education - Preschool through Grade 3. Desperate to stay at this school and not transfer or return home to regroup yet again, I chose to major in Family & Consumer Sciences with a minor in Child Development. Unfortunately, my health once again took a hit. By now, I was also emotionally (and academically, LOL) burned out so I chose to drop the Child Development minor and take as many courses as I could related to Child Dev & pre-K (not many) while completing my FCS major. Like I said at the beginning, I graduated in 2000 with the BS in FCS.

Ffwd 6 years. By then I was married, had had jobs in social work, human resources and early childhood education (our family had moved around a lot during that time) and was currently a preschool teacher when I gave birth to a child that required me to stay home.

Ffwd another 6 years. I am now ready to return to the work force but feel under-qualified as the preschool landscape has changed significantly in this area in that amount of time. Employers are now looking for AAS in Early Childhood Education at the minimum with a preference for a BS/BA in ECE, Birth-Kindergarten (the degree I SHOULD'VE gotten had that been available about 15 years ago! GRRRR!!!), Child Development or a significant amount of ECE/Chid Dev courses. I have none of those and have lost several jobs for the "lack of education in the field" - not experience (about 3 years overall).

I initially thought an AAS in ECE plus my BS and experience could get me a pretty good job in a private school but am unsure if an AAS would actually be a step back. I then considered just sucking it up and transferring credits into a B-K or Child Dev BA/BS but that would take far longer (and be more expensive) than the AAS. Finally, I arrived at "Why not just go to grad school?!" but the problem there is I am yet to find a Master of Arts in Teaching in B-K or Early Childhood Education that is entirely online or offers courses I actually want to take (research methods in ECE? no thanks! maybe grad school is not for me.) not to mention the costs associated with a MAT.

After going back and forth on this for about a month I decided I would just get a post-bac certificate in ECE or Child Dev only to find out getting close to application that the schools I was looking into do not offer financial aid (grad student loans) via the FAFSA because they are not considered full degree programs.

So I'm back to the AAS, BA/S or MAT?

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities