Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

I think the OP has an excellent chance of good merit aid at Sage. According to this site College Navigator - The Sage Colleges 89% of students get grants with the average amount being $26,210.

I've been through the college process with my three kids plus a few others that asked for advice. Merit aid is absolutely out there for many students and I think the OP has been doing a pretty good job of identifying schools for her/him. I would encourage you to apply to a couple of more schools just so you'll have enough choices financial aid wise.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think the OP has an excellent chance of good merit aid at Sage. According to this site College Navigator - The Sage Colleges 89% of students get grants with the average amount being $26,210.

I've been through the college process with my three kids plus a few others that asked for advice. Merit aid is absolutely out there for many students and I think the OP has been doing a pretty good job of identifying schools for her/him. I would encourage you to apply to a couple of more schools just so you'll have enough choices financial aid wise.
And cost of attendance is $37k without fees. So she is looking at $12k a year. Not a massive amount but more than I would when starting salary is $45k for masters of social work.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And cost of attendance is $37k without fees. So she is looking at $12k a year. Not a massive amount but more than I would when starting salary is $45k for masters of social work.

In NYS Having a masters automatically puts me at 51k a year- the majority of these schools have the option of doing the 5 year BS/MS program or they have a reduced tuition (there's a fancy name for it.) I do understand that It isn't a lot but it does go up a lot over time. Back when my mom started she was at 35k and now she makes 84k, that's a 54k pay increase, and she's only 32 she started teaching right out of college, she's almost done with her student loans (She has 2 master's) If I am done paying something by 35 I wouldn't mind it terribly you know? In addition to that, I don't plan on teaching my entire life, so the pay will vary. I also feel that in some sense these schools outweigh the cost a little. For example- Pace, starts their in classroom observations in their first year as opposed to most schools which start well into their 3rd or fourth year- which already gives me a leg up no?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
In NYS Having a masters automatically puts me at 51k a year- the majority of these schools have the option of doing the 5 year BS/MS program or they have a reduced tuition (there's a fancy name for it.) I do understand that It isn't a lot but it does go up a lot over time. Back when my mom started she was at 35k and now she makes 84k, that's a 54k pay increase, and she's only 32 she started teaching right out of college, she's almost done with her student loans (She has 2 master's) If I am done paying something by 35 I wouldn't mind it terribly you know? In addition to that, I don't plan on teaching my entire life, so the pay will vary. I also feel that in some sense these schools outweigh the cost a little. For example- Pace, starts their in classroom observations in their first year as opposed to most schools which start well into their 3rd or fourth year- which already gives me a leg up no?
But how does anyone AUTOMATICALLY get a particular job or salary based on a degree?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
But how does anyone AUTOMATICALLY get a particular job or salary based on a degree?
If I happen to become a teacher in NYC this is the pay that I will AUTOMATICALLY get.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Whatever works for you but I would NEVER send a child away to college without visiting it at least once. Several schools we've looked at were great fits on paper but once you got there you could tell almost instantly it wasn't going to work. That visit can happen after acceptance but I don't agree that you shouldn't visit at all. You can certainly narrow down your choices of where you visit based on cost but I don't know why visiting should be banned?
I agree...getting a feel for the campus, school, atmosphere firsthand is a critical factor.

All of the factual information, breakdown and bullet points on course offerings, and statistics isn't really going to matter if you end up relocating to a place you vehemently don't want to be or don't feel you belong. Much like jobs, just because it school looks good on paper, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's right for you. But a discerning person can get a better grip on that even with just one visit than with none at all, particularly if the person is observant and asks good questions, then thinks critically about the answers he or she gets. Most people wouldn't blindly sign on for a job for four years, sight unseen, never touring the facility or observing what goes on there.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

Definitely agree. I was eligible for loads of merit aid, and ended up applying to quite a few colleges that fit what I was looking for, so I'd have lots of financial aid offers to compare. My top three choices all ended up being within TWENTY DOLLARS of one another in grant/scholarship packages.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Definitely agree. I was eligible for loads of merit aid, and ended up applying to quite a few colleges that fit what I was looking for, so I'd have lots of financial aid offers to compare. My top three choices all ended up being within TWENTY DOLLARS of one another in grant/scholarship packages.
I agree that merit aid is there for those that qualify, however, her test scores are too low to qualify for merit aid and that is going to be the problem.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
If I happen to become a teacher in NYC this is the pay that I will AUTOMATICALLY get.
ROFL.

IF you get a job as a teacher. God knows that is basically a sure thing these days. And NYC is clearly a cheap place to live, and that debt load will be of no issue.

Sorry OP I wish you the best, but I sincerely believe you are going into this without preparing thoroughly. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst......

Old 07-07-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
ROFL.

IF you get a job as a teacher. God knows that is basically a sure thing these days. And NYC is clearly a cheap place to live, and that debt load will be of no issue.

Sorry OP I wish you the best, but I sincerely believe you are going into this without preparing thoroughly. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst......

I am aware that this is a big IF; but you were asking how anyone could automatically get paid something and I was letting you know that this is the case.

You seem to think that I am beyond naive, I'm not stupid; I understand that I will have to take out loans, i understand that I will be paying back loans; I understand that teaching is not a multi million dollar job. You are answering my question as though I am a complete idiot. I have very carefully looked at what living in NYC costs, since I had been considering rooming in order to go to a CUNY school as a commuting student. I grew up in the city and I have no intentions on living in what many people consider NYC (i.e Manhattan), I wouldn't mind living in the Bronx, or Brooklyn where living expenses are much cheaper

Again, I do not believe I said loans wouldn't be a problem; what I DID say was that If I was 40 (or 30 IDK which I said- regardless any one is fine) and THAT was when I'd finish paying off loans I would be ok with that. Is it the ideal situation, No and I am ok with that.

However, Pace for example; has an 81% combined Undergrad and Grad job placement within a year of graduating. It Isn't 100% but comparatively speaking that's pretty high. Pace also starts their undergrad in class observations in freshmen years, as opposed to many other schools.

On top of all I just mentioned, when I graduate, I will be living on my own (or with my parents for a while) and I will not have any dependants. I will not have a child or a family that I need to provide for. I will not have 4 cell phone bills to pay, I will not have a premium cable package I need to pay. I will be providing for myself.

It is okay that you have your own opinions; I respect that. However, what I don't respect is the fact that you are replying to me sarcastically when I responded to YOUR question. I know that nothing in this world is guaranteed, and I have mentally prepared for myself for that. I know that other than teaching I can be involved with other organizations such as the children's home, which would provide enough of a paycheck for a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities