Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM

128 posts, read 148,686 times

Advertisements

It seems today that all college does is manufacture dependent tools for the larger system. If one chooses to seek an independent field, it would take lots of time and money before this occurs, and even when it does, independence isnt guaranteed.

School has become the education force for employees and not the tool for the employers or owners. When people encourage others to "go back to school" or "finish getting your education" all I hear is, "finish learning how to become someones assistant" and not "finish learning how to become your own innovator.

So for those (or not) who fit into the category of the school thumping promoters, I give you one simply task. Name 3 (or more, preferably) college degrees that you can get that can lead to independent studies or careers.

With a docortate degree this is possibly easier to do, but how about with a bachelors? Can any be named?

Associates?
Bacholors?
Masters?
Doctorate?

How many for each can be named.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but it sounds like degrees where it is common to open your own business with relatively little experience or manpower?

In that case, I would say:

-Masters Structural Engineering
-JD Law
-MD
-DDS
-Veterinary Doctorate

Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Here's 3 you DON'T need a degree for, and will provide MORE than the $50K/year average...
(And you can do as an independent contractor)

Insurance Adjuster
Home inspector
Safety officer

(I've done 2 out of 3, and the 3rd is on my list. I also have a degree. I started on my Masters, but discovered certifications pay much better than degrees.)

Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
ssshhh! You'll let the cat out of the bag. Yes, certifications often pay more than degrees now often because you usually have to have experience to get them. For people in mid-career, getting a bunch of certs is cheaper and more profitable for them than getting that expensive MBA from Podunk-U or the cheapy from Phoenix.

Note: For engineering, you'll need a PE license to work independently. To sit for the exam, commonly you need an ABET accredited BS or MS engineering degree and 4 or 2 years (MS) of experience with references.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
For people in mid-career, getting a bunch of certs is cheaper and more profitable for them than getting that expensive MBA from Podunk-U or the cheapy from Phoenix.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I think you have it backward. I've seen plenty of cheap MBA programs that are AACSB-accredited from Podunk-U. Some of these are under $12k. The ACBSP-accredited MBA from UoP will be relatively expensive even though ACBSP is considered to be inferior to AACSB. The cost for UoP's MBA ranges from $26640 to $39960 (not counting the $115 materials fee for each course).

Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 AM

What about for science degrees? Chemistry, Biology etc. How can one get a bachelors for say in a research science field and become an independent research scientist? It seems all scientist do is research what the big corporations tell them to or the government programs and if they dont, then say goodbye to funding and grants.

How often do you see independent research scientist researching theories they have proposed on their own or theories they feel is actually useful to society?

How often do you see low level independent engineers even? If you do not have your PE license you will presumably work for a big corporate market creating whatever the team tells you too. Maybe you can do independent work like what independent inventors do, but im not so sure school promotes that nor sets classes up so that after graduation this becomes realistic. Self studies would probably be more beneficial.

A PE license is allot of time. It is almost equivilant to a masters or doctorate. 4 years schooling, 4 years internship, maybe 1-2 years studying for the license exams. Whats the difference?

Notice my question was for people on a bachelors level trying to work independent. Those that didnt want to go through all that schooling and time such as PE's.

And yes certifications do promote independence, but notice I didnt ask about certifications. I was asking about college degrees, not college certifications. I actually promote certifcations. That is actually the hidden motive to this thread (shhhh).

Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
My husband has a PE and my daughter has a Masters degree. She worked a heck of a lot harder and longer for her Masters. My husband got his BS degree, worked a few years, bought a book about the PE test and took the test. Or at least that's how I remember it. Kind of blurry because I think he had to take the test a day or two after we had our first child. I have another relative that is a certified Actuary. Now that's a HARD certification: Actuarial Exams | Be an Actuary

None of those degrees or certifications have led any of them to independent careers.

IMO, most people that form their own companies do so because of their own nature, not because of a degree or certification.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Not necessarily having to form your own company is it that im eluding to. Working under an employer but being an independent employee. For instance. Being a research scientist working under a corporation, but having the freedom to research your own projects, present your own theories and ideas, and report findings to said sponsor. I doubt this could happen unless one has the money to start his own business, which requires loans and long processed grants. Especially in certain fields this is nearly impossible because equipment is too expensive.

Unless you work with cheap materials and have miracles on your side, this seems like less of a reality and more of a fantasy. We are forced to be dependents in this society to a great extent.

The only independence it seems comes from certification or skills.
Farming
Business
real estate
entrepreneurship
carpentry
mechanics
tailors

etc etc...
You wont make as much without signing to a major labeled corporation, but at least most of the money you do make goes directly into your pocket without big daddy cutting into it.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqblaze View Post
Not necessarily having to form your own company is it that im eluding to. Working under an employer but being an independent employee. For instance. Being a research scientist working under a corporation, but having the freedom to research your own projects, present your own theories and ideas, and report findings to said sponsor. I doubt this could happen unless one has the money to start his own business, which requires loans and long processed grants. Especially in certain fields this is nearly impossible because equipment is too expensive.

Unless you work with cheap materials and have miracles on your side, this seems like less of a reality and more of a fantasy. We are forced to be dependents in this society to a great extent.

The only independence it seems comes from certification or skills.
Farming
Business
real estate
entrepreneurship
carpentry
mechanics
tailors

etc etc...
You wont make as much without signing to a major labeled corporation, but at least most of the money you do make goes directly into your pocket without big daddy cutting into it.
I disagree and I don't think you are stating your position very clearly. The people that I know that started their own businesses had bachelors degrees in Business, English and Computer Science. I know a couple of young guys that opened their own bookstore, one who majored in history and the other had one year of college majoring in music.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqblaze View Post
Bah!

Doing the insurance Adjusting thing I make more, and work MUCH less as an independent than if I was pulling down the ~$60K I'd make if I was a 9-5er!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities