Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Oh my. I feel bad for your Mom. If she is only 60, what about trying to get a better job with more pay? Maybe an education related job that might allow her to work at something more than a paraprofessional, which pays so low. Is she open to applying to new places? Can she get her resume together and start looking? I know at 60 one doesn't want to even think about this, but what else is there? With a sociology degree, she might qualify as a social worker for a state job, or as a case manager in a not for profit. Also sorta depends on where she lives. If in a larger metro area, maybe more chances for better employment. Good luck to her, and to you.
I just got off the phone w/ my student loan bank...Here are some of the things I learned. I was attempting to find out about that federal loan forgiveness program I had recently heard about....as well as another program that involves reduced interest.
She should check w/ the Federal Student Loan Agency, there may be something related to a public service position...If she is in a State College position...it may qualify as a public service position?....you have to pay for 10 yrs, no defaults...and it may be possible to get federal loans forgiven. It is an application process, but for myself I'm your mothers age, and I don't currently hod a position that is considered public service. William Ford Direct Loan I was told is the name of the Federal consolidation program.
I think for younger people if they got right into this program, it would be beneficial.
William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program
The other thing that may stil help your Mother is for her to check w/ her student loan lender...if it isn't the federal govt...but say a State Student Loan, or private student loans...Our state is offering a program that reduces interest down to 2%. Which I don't qualify for because my loans are all from the federal govt. Good uck, hopefully your Mom can qualify for some help. Otherwise, I'd suggest that she take a second part time job and just pay all that to her student loans and get those paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
I'm not saying she should do so but a native speaker English teacher with ANY college degree gets paid $3,000 per month in China and more in South Korea and Japan.
Many people who can't find a desirable job do that already, including people in their 60s.

A college English teacher of mine in China was a Bostonian with a sociology degree. Her mother was teaching in China too. (No, they are not Chinese Americans but Jewish).

Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I'm not saying she should do so but a native speaker English teacher with ANY college degree gets paid $3,000 per month in China and more in South Korea and Japan.
Many people who can't find a desirable job do that already, including people in their 60s.

A college English teacher of mine in China was a Bostonian with a sociology degree. Her mother was teaching in China too. (No, they are not Chinese Americans but Jewish).
How do they manage this without knowing the local language?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
How do they manage this without knowing the local language?
The school will assign some bilingual colleague(s) to help them settle down. If they go to Beijing or Shanghai, there are many English speakers anyway. College students in China are extremely enthusiastic too.

Asia is not like the US where everyone is "independent". In Asian countries, people offer a lot of help (sometimes too much).

Usually they live in the apartments for expats, so there are always Americans and Australians, among others.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I do know the government can garnish any check, such as IRS did, and certainly Social Security. Some people that work for the state, such as an education department, don't pay into Soc. Sec., depending on the state and system.

The way people teach English as a Second Language when they don't speak the first language is a skill learned in any ESL workship that would come with the teaching job, or whatever training is provided. I personally am amazed that it can be done, but it can. Somehow I doubt that this woman (who is my age!) is likely to go overseas to earn money (although it's not a bad idea) unless it's something she's always wanted to do and doesn't own a home in the U.S.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM

213 posts, read 508,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I just got off the phone w/ my student loan bank...Here are some of the things I learned. I was attempting to find out about that federal loan forgiveness program I had recently heard about....as well as another program that involves reduced interest.
She should check w/ the Federal Student Loan Agency, there may be something related to a public service position...If she is in a State College position...it may qualify as a public service position?....you have to pay for 10 yrs, no defaults...and it may be possible to get federal loans forgiven. It is an application process, but for myself I'm your mothers age, and I don't currently hod a position that is considered public service. William Ford Direct Loan I was told is the name of the Federal consolidation program.
I think for younger people if they got right into this program, it would be beneficial.
William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program
The other thing that may stil help your Mother is for her to check w/ her student loan lender...if it isn't the federal govt...but say a State Student Loan, or private student loans...Our state is offering a program that reduces interest down to 2%. Which I don't qualify for because my loans are all from the federal govt. Good uck, hopefully your Mom can qualify for some help. Otherwise, I'd suggest that she take a second part time job and just pay all that to her student loans and get those paid off.

Funny you mention that, as my mother is pursuing both of those options, to see if she's eligible to get her loans forgiven or at least better adjust the payments to her current income. Just providing an update on the situation, hoping for the best!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The school will assign some bilingual colleague(s) to help them settle down. If they go to Beijing or Shanghai, there are many English speakers anyway. College students in China are extremely enthusiastic too.

Asia is not like the US where everyone is "independent". In Asian countries, people offer a lot of help (sometimes too much).

Usually they live in the apartments for expats, so there are always Americans and Australians, among others.
No

I mean how do you teach non native English speakers English if you don't know their language?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No

I mean how do you teach non native English speakers English if you don't know their language?
Often times they teach the so-called "oral English" class. The students have known some grammar and vocabulary so speaking English only is ok.

When I was in Europe, I took a German course for beginners. The teacher spoke German 90% of the time (the students were from the US, Russia, Italy, India...). Generally speaking, I could catch up though I knew nothing about German.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
We need some form of loan forgiveness or bankruptcy in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities