Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It's really sad that someone who's worked hard and succeeded has lost all sense of compassion and empathy and completely fails to see the world around him and to understand the human condition. You truly believe that people get what they deserve and that people are rewarded for their hard work? Did you just fall off the turnip truck? Were you born into a world of blue skies and rainbows? Bad things happen to good people all the time in this world regardless of their merit or work ethic or ability. You have no idea how foolish and moronic you sound.

It's definitely much easier to dismiss an opponent as being a "troll" rather than to debate the issues with him, especially if he's asking uncomfortable questions such as whether or not your tightly held beliefs have a basis in reality or whether they are religious-like dogma.

YUP, you're right and I'm wrong, you know way more about me and my feelings, thoughts, actions and deeds than I do, even though I live with me and I know me but NOT as well as YOU know me.

I'm absolutely foolish and moronic, I'm sure of it and yes let's toss in that turnip truck I just fell off of that just drove out of the rainbow littered blue skies. Don't forget to throw the dogma in the back of that truck because you absolutely positively KNOW that I am a religious fanatic because you know who I am, the environment I was raised in and how everything about me goes........yup that's it, it really is, seriusly, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

Now, when you get done wandering around in whatever circle you are wandering in and want to know exactly how the real world works and who I am and where I came from and what I believe and the reality of my life and experience, don't bother to ask because (borrowing a line from a movie)..........you can't HANDLE the TRUTH.

PS -- There is no point in argueing with one who already KNOWS IT ALL.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Nobody forced you to attend college and get a degree, a piece of paper which you can wipe the floor with. But I guess you and millions of other kids were brainwashed with that "Go to college so you can get a good job with good pay" crap.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
YUP, you're right and I'm wrong, you know way more about me and my feelings, thoughts, actions and deeds than I do, even though I live with me and I know me but NOT as well as YOU know me.

I'm absolutely foolish and moronic, I'm sure of it and yes let's toss in that turnip truck I just fell off of that just drove out of the rainbow littered blue skies. Don't forget to throw the dogma in the back of that truck because you absolutely positively KNOW that I am a religious fanatic because you know who I am, the environment I was raised in and how everything about me goes........yup that's it, it really is, seriusly, I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

Now, when you get done wandering around in whatever circle you are wandering in and want to know exactly how the real world works and who I am and where I came from and what I believe and the reality of my life and experience, don't bother to ask because (borrowing a line from a movie)..........you can't HANDLE the TRUTH.

PS -- There is no point in argueing with one who already KNOWS IT ALL.
When you completely fail to make an argument or to address an issue, as you have, there's no point in continuing to debate. Also, if you had better reading comprehension you would realize that I never said you were a religious fanatic--just that you hold your believe in the notion of meritocracy with a religious-like zeal.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Nobody forced you to attend college and get a degree, a piece of paper which you can wipe the floor with. But I guess you and millions of other kids were brainwashed with that "Go to college so you can get a good job with good pay" crap.
And that message is still infused throughout our society. It's difficult to miss it if you watch the TV news or listen to the radio. Some politicians or commentator will say, "...and we need more and better college education for everyone," or "everyone should go to college".

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that that message is a conspiracy cooked up by the wealthy to enslave the lower classes with student loan debt. It also acts as an opiate of the masses since it allows people to believe that our nation offers economic opportunity and class mobility.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:59 AM

74 posts, read 135,112 times
I googled the term "escape debts by moving overseas" and a number of articles came up including this one:

Students escape loan debt by living overseas - Oct. 24, 2008

FYI:

I hated all the people's responses telling you it was the wrong thing to do. Those responses did nothing to answer your question. You never asked if it was moral or not just the technical aspects of doing it.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Why is that an excuse to default on one's student loans?

One emigrates to another country.
Emigrate from/immigrate to.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Emigrate from/immigrate to.
In the OP's context, it should be emigrate.

To emigrate means to leave one country or region to settle in another; or to migrate away from ones native place.
(emigrate is to move out of)
To immigrate means to come to a country of which one is not a native, usually for permanent residence.
-Merriam-Webster

Old 09-23-2012, 06:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
After reading through the poster's responses, I can fully understand why it has been difficult for him to secure a high paying position with all the excuses and arguements in his/her favor. I definitely think the best thing would be for him/her to leave the USA.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:02 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
I'm having a hard time getting past the idea that someone takes out 200K in debt for anything less than a medical degree (and even that is hard to stomach).

I'm also having a hard time getting past the idea that people think they deserve to have their 200K forgiven because they couldn't find a job. Not only is 200K a ridiculous amount for anyone to pay back, but it is your responsibility!

I hit a pole in my parking garage backing out the other week. Cost me $600 to fix. This is exactly like me saying "Why should I have to pay for my damages when I didn't plan to ever hit the pole?!". It's my car that I decided to purchase, and my car that I accepted the liability on. Just like I'm responsible for paying my car loan, even if I hate my car in 4 years.

I don't understand how college education is any different. I really don't. Go to a state school, community college, or heck save up and go part time. I understand people hit strokes of bad luck paying debt, but 200K is a completely different story that I have very little sympathy for.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I'm having a hard time getting past the idea that someone takes out 200K in debt for anything less than a medical degree (and even that is hard to stomach).

I'm also having a hard time getting past the idea that people think they deserve to have their 200K forgiven because they couldn't find a job. Not only is 200K a ridiculous amount for anyone to pay back, but it is your responsibility!

I hit a pole in my parking garage backing out the other week. Cost me $600 to fix. This is exactly like me saying "Why should I have to pay for my damages when I didn't plan to ever hit the pole?!". It's my car that I decided to purchase, and my car that I accepted the liability on. Just like I'm responsible for paying my car loan, even if I hate my car in 4 years.

I don't understand how college education is any different. I really don't. Go to a state school, community college, or heck save up and go part time. I understand people hit strokes of bad luck paying debt, but 200K is a completely different story that I have very little sympathy for.

From reading some of OPs other posts it sounds like h/she went to law school and that degree was probably the reason for the large debt OP is discussing. 30-40 in UG and 100-120 in LS is very possible. LS was not brainwashed into people's heads and a 22-23 year old should be old enough to realize 100k is a huge risk for a professional degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities