Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,285 times

Advertisements

what are steps to be a doctor? ........is it necessary to be a doctor in medical field can we sttele ourlife earlier ....there are lot of family prblems social issues for a girl??? then what she do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM

80 posts, read 400,305 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I agree with that. However, there are stories out there about students who graduate from some of the top 20 law schools who can't find jobs in their fields because it's so heavily glutted. (I don't know enough about the MBA degree to say the same for graduates of top 20 MBA schools but I wouldn't be surprised.) One problem is that the guy who might have top 5% academic skills could have merely mediocre people and interviewing skills. For a guy like that medical school is probably a much better bet.
At the same time, graduating from a US medical school and passing all exams does not guarantee a residency spot. In fact, most medical schools (even Ivy league) cannot produce 100% matching rate more than a few times in their history. Combine that with the fact that foreign doctors who pass USMLE and DOs all qualify for the same residency spots, you can see how tough the situation in the medical field is as well. Not everyone will get jobs, and people will be stuck with loans equal or exceeding law school debts. Also, medical schools also focus more on people skills rather than didactic and clinical expertise. This is a very interesting trend. Being an academic in the medical field with no people skill will be bad. Like any other position, you need the people skills and play the politics.
Quote:
The other thing is that even if you can land a six figure job out of law school that doesn't mean that the partners at that law firm won't lay you off after two or three years. In contrast, that's unlikely to happen to you if you become a physician.
I agree, chances of getting laid off as a doctor are much lower, but with many municipal hospitals being mismanaged and close to bankruptcy, I suspect we will see doctors being laid off more. Plus, depending on healthcare policies, future doctors may not make as much.
Quote:
Thing is, if everyone "does everything right" it won't change the fact that far, far more new JDs and MBAs are minted every year than there are jobs for htem.
Same with doctors though. Obama is proposing additional medical schools but residency spots are not expanding at the same rate. This means that there will be more and more med school grads than residency spots available. Furthermore, foreign doctors and DOs qualify for the same residency spots as MDs, this makes competition pretty stiff.
Quote:
The risks are sill much higher simply because both fields are glutted. The bottom 10% doctor is making a lot more money than the guy who is merely a top 40% JD or MBA. Also, as I said, it is possible to get laid off from a large law firm. They are designed like pyramid schemes and stories about associate layoffs abound on legal discussion forums like JD Underground and Findlaw's Greedy Associates discussion boards.
Bottom 10% of doctors are probably hauling in just north of 100K. Not a bad salary but you have take into account the amount of training and schooling. There is no residency in MBA or law. MBAs can be had in under 2 years, law school in 3. Of course doctors will be paid more.
Quote:
Also, in terms of your take-home wage, doctors do better later on in their careers in terms of the number of hours worked. A lawyer might end up working 70-65 hours/week for life but physicians seem to be able to cut down on their hours later
I think this is very position dependent. Some doctors can get away with not working too much and still making a lot (depending on specialty) but not most doctors.
Quote:
There's just no comparison between the fields. Even for someone who can get into a top 3 law school (Harvard, Yale, Stanford) it's hard to recommend law as a profession simply because it's so cutthroat and miserable, which is mostly a result of the field's being heavily glutted.
Medicine can be very cut throat as well, the most popular residencies require very high exam grades, some even research skills. Where I work, radiation oncologists are expected to have a PhD in physics in addition to their MD. There is quite a bit of competition in specialties. General, not so much.
Quote:
OK, if you say so. Pharmacy is a career is going to go down the tubes in the future, btw. I don't know about dentistry; there seems to be dental offices everywhere but as far as I can tell it's still a good gig.
Pharmacy is pretty important because the pharmacists keep track of medications, interactions ect, and definitely know better about the medication side of things as compared to doctors. But I agree, there are more pharmacists than positions available and it seems to be getting worse.
Health administration is great if you can actually get one of those jobs. Being an MD might help in t hose regards.
Being a MD is definitely the trump card, but I've seen quite a bit of MBAs, JDs, and banker types in admin position.
Quote:
I still think money and career security are the biggest motivators for prospective medical school students. I just don't see why anyone would want to put themselves through such a competitive process otherwise. Of course premeds are not going to come out and say that; they're not that stupid. I'm sure they've all learned to spout off stories of altruism and good will. There's nothing wrong with wanting to go to medical school for the money, social status, and job security, and I think it's a shame that people have to put on a song-and-dance to convince medical school admissions committees and other people otherwise.
I agree to an extent, probably more so on the career security part. I don't think medical school is the best for money though. The schooling is very expensive, the training is very long. There was an interesting article published which basically measured the life long earning of a doctor compared to a middle school teacher and the difference was not that significant.
I guess you're welcome to believe that becoming a lawyer or MBA is a better way to go. As I said, the people who obtain the top 5% of income in those fields are better off than your average doctor. The problem is that it's also very possible to obtain a much worse result even if you are very smart. Intelligence and productive ability only goes so far in heavily glutted fields where softer people skills and connections are more important.
I guess it depends on better for what. I feel that MBA and JDs are the de facto degree for many who are not sure what they want in life. For some people though, its a very good path. Someone I know has a masters in electrical engineering, and received a JD from an Ivy school. His starting salary was 160k (in 2011) so it definitely worked out for him, but for the vast majority of non t-14 people, its probably not working out so well.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
To answer the question, 4 undergrad, 4 med school, and then beyond that depends on what you want to do (usually about 3 years).
(My sample size is only 4 with direct relatives, and they are all MD/PhD's, so their education was a few years longer).

They all emerged debt-free. (It is not that hard to do, and they went to the best schools in the country, and did it on their own).

If you want to make it inexpensive, UMass Med School is a total of $178K for all 4 years, covering literally everything (tuition is only $8300/year). No opinion on quality.

(As an aside)
It doesn't pay like it used to (though they do quite well as docs), but a well-chosen high-tech startup will dwarf their total income. Then, at a young age you can go do whatever you want (even become a doc for the fun of it).

Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Little confused about the poster who said you can't use "Doctor" until finished residency. I work with residents and they are "Doctor." Sometimes a med school student will fill the night shift coverage slot, but there is always a resident to supervise and co-sign orders.
I've heard liberal arts people vaguely say, "law school" because they can't do the math for pre-med and they have to have a plan.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:17 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Little confused about the poster who said you can't use "Doctor" until finished residency. I work with residents and they are "Doctor." Sometimes a med school student will fill the night shift coverage slot, but there is always a resident to supervise and co-sign orders.
You are correct. You can use the title "Doctor" as soon as you obtain the degree that confers you that privilege. So residents are and should be called "Doctor."

Licensure is different. Residents usually are given an institutional license and can only work where their program sends them.

Here in GA, a full license can be obtained after the first year as a resident.

Any medical students are there strictly as students and must be supervised by a licensed doctor.

A resident with a full license can moonlight without supervision.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
um...me and my teacher did research because i wanted to become an obstetrician it said 7 or 8 years academicly and 2 years to like learn how to do your job professionally,and i was just wondering how long!i guess just 1o years

Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrayl ferguson View Post
um...me and my teacher did research because i wanted to become an obstetrician it said 7 or 8 years academicly and 2 years to like learn how to do your job professionally,and i was just wondering how long!i guess just 1o years

Four years of college (three in some programs), four years of medical school, and four years OBGYN residency, for a total of 12 years (11 for a few people.) Subspecialty training in something like high risk obstetrics or infertility adds more time in the form of a fellowship.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 825 times
whats the pay rate on Pediatrician plz

Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logonzramirez12 View Post
whats the pay rate on Pediatrician plz
Pay rate on pediatrician?

Spoiler
Learn to use Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities