Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
OK!

1. Why is a 70 year old still teaching???? Have we ran out of younger people?

2. Report him for being uneducated enough to make such insulting comments!

3. City Data has no power over ur school, u, younger folks need to get off those phones and look around a bit! Complain, report, resolve!!! No one will do it for u.
Thanks so much for popping up this three year old thread. Who knows if this guy is still teaching.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'm an accounting major and also the only woman in my intermediate accounting class.

The professor is an old fart, maybe 67-70 years old. He is predictably an old white guy who worked for the IRS and has been teaching at my university for 30 years.

Yesterday I arrive to class early and he is having a conversation about why he doesn't like Elizabeth Warren with the class. For those who don't know, she is a Massachusetts woman running for congress. When I walk in the door he says "I bet you will vote for Elizabeth Warren because she's a woman".

Me: "No"
Him: "Well I bet your mother will"

I said "Well, I really like her because of her actions towards banks who gave high-risk mortgages out that many users didn't understand the terms of".

He said "Well, I better stop talking about her or you will call (name of dean of program) and get me in trouble".

I laughed it off. This did not bother me.

Later in class in the middle of lecture he went off into a strange tangent
"It's a man's world right?"

No one said anything.

"Geez, with all of these women running for congress we gotta watch what we say. I'm lucky I came from a time when we got the last of the best. My wife is a like a gem".

At first, I didn't realize what he had said, my mind was in a weird funk because I didn't understand what he was trying to say.

Then I quickly figured out he was saying women are no good anymore because we have careers and power unlike the 50s or 60s when he was a young professional.

Keep in mind I'm the ONLY WOMAN in the class surrounded by men. I wondered what he thought about a woman studying accounting...did it deeply bother him the way a woman running for congress did?

He has said racist things about an Asian guy in my class while he wasn't there (can you get me tickets to (asian country)" then when the kid left the room he said "I don't even know how people get over there. Probably on a donkey". When a guy with a middle eastern accent answered a question he said "Wow, I have to go out of the country to get a correct answer".

The racism seemed benign compared to his sexism wasn't the running theme of class like his sexism was yesterday.

What are the roots of sexism, especially in the older generations who came of age when women weren't supposed to leave the kitchen and be baby factories?

Do they believe women aren't as smart as men?
That we should just be their caretakers from mother to live-in maid/cook/prostitute?

It bothered me a lot and kind of deflated my confidence for the remainder of class.
Yeah we can only hope people like this die painfully in old age.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
But I was told all my life that college professors are "liberal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities