Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM

400 posts, read 1,918,982 times

Advertisements

For my last course in my masters of arts in teaching program I took an Incomplete due to the overwhelming stress of student teaching all day then taking this class at night once a week.

Grades were due on September 5th but my professor never turned my grades in, so I haven't been awarded my masters degree in education.

The last email she sent me was back in late July; she mentioned traveling to Alaska until the 25th of August and being out of touch until then. Well, it's September 9th and I haven't heard a word from her.

I contacted the transcript coordinator of my university's masters program and was told that the university has a contract clause with tenured professors in that the university is hands-off when it comes to whether or not professors turn in a student's grades. I took that as a bunch of b.s. and emailed the dean of education, venting my frustration. He reiterated the transcript coordinator's b.s. policy and told me that it was my responsibility to get in touch with the professor to get her to hand in my grade.

I'm so angry and hurt that this has happened to me. I don't know what to do? Do I hire a lawyer to sue the professor? That is extreme but my university's dean of education refuses to get involved so what options do I have?

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

I still have my course syllabus and did leave a voicemail for my professor, asking her to turn in my grades so that I can be awarded my masters degree. But if she doesn't, it's 3 years and over $60K wasted. I didn't get my teaching license either (that's another thread here that I won't go into details about because it's a moot point now).

I just can't believe this happened to me. What am I supposed to do now? Work at a coffee shop and live below the poverty line? I'm in my early 40s and single, and this is not how I envisioned the outcome for myself after completing an MAT program.

I'm so depressed I can't eat or sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Did you complete the work necessary to remove the INC and be awarded a grade?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Based on what you have written it appears that:

1. The professor has not done anything wrong.
2. The school has not done anything wrong.

So I don't know what a lawsuit would be about. It's very possible that you left out some information due to you being upset. I just want to clear some things up.

Did you meet the professor's requirements to receive your grade (for example, hand in all completed work)?

Did the professor promise to hand in your grade by a specific date?

Even if grades were due on September 5th, that doesn't really mean much. Tenured professors live by their own rules (and for good reason). Your best bet is to do whatever it takes to get in touch with your professor. Professors generally want to see students succeed.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM

It's clear NJBest and Zthat, that neither of you read my post.

I stated in my post clearly I turned in all of my coursework before the end of the summer deadline for Incomplete courses.

Did the professor do something wrong?

Yes she did. She didn't turn in my final grade by the summer deadline.

Did the university do something wrong?

Yes. A professor is obligated to turn in a final grade for a student who is enrolled in his/her course. That is a university policy.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Based on what you have written it appears that:

1. The professor has not done anything wrong.
2. The school has not done anything wrong.

So I don't know what a lawsuit would be about. It's very possible that you left out some information due to you being upset. I just want to clear some things up.

Did you meet the professor's requirements to receive your grade (for example, hand in all completed work)?

Did the professor promise to hand in your grade by a specific date?

Even if grades were due on September 5th, that doesn't really mean much. Tenured professors live by their own rules (and for good reason). Your best bet is to do whatever it takes to get in touch with your professor. Professors generally want to see students succeed.
I don't give a rat's arse about tenured professors' living by their own rules. If you teach at a university, you are required to follow that university's academic policies no matter what. Grade deadlines are put in place for the benefit of the professor and the student. That my professor ignored the grade deadline means she doesn't have her student's interest in mind; to grant me a passing grade so that I can be awarded my masters degree in education.

There is no excuse, and I mean NO EXCUSE for not submitting a final grade for your student who took your course. If every professor lived by that logic, students would all receive Fs and never receive grades for their coursework.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
It's clear NJBest and Zthat, that neither of you read my post.

I stated in my post clearly I turned in all of my coursework before the end of the summer deadline for Incomplete courses.

Did the professor do something wrong?

Yes she did. She didn't turn in my final grade by the summer deadline.

Did the university do something wrong?

Yes. A professor is obligated to turn in a final grade for a student who is enrolled in his/her course. That is a university policy.
Take a deep breath. The deadline is not a hard deadline.

The university probably sent your professor an email back in January telling him when the deadline was. What else would you expect the university to do? They can't force a professor to do something.

You need to get in touch with that professor. Find out when his classes are and wait for him there.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Just keep e-mailing (10 times a day if you have to) until you get some response from your delinquent professor who's enjoying their vacation no doubt on your dime.....remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil...keep at it, don't let up...I agree with you that what's happened never should have, and it's absolute bulls**t that the professor is not answering you and taking care of what she should have done...good luck...sorry for your anguish.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Just keep e-mailing (10 times a day if you have to) until you get some response from your delinquent professor who's enjoying their vacation no doubt on your dime.....remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil...keep at it, don't let up...I agree with you that what's happened never should have, and it's absolute bulls**t that the professor is not answering you and taking care of what she should have done...good luck...sorry for your anguish.
For something this serious, I wouldn't rely on such a passive form of communication like email. I'd call and show up at his classes.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
I fail to see how one class will reset three year's of classes and schooling. Absolute worst case scenario, wouldn't you just have to retake this one class, preferably with a different professor?

Your professor will have to return to her class or office someday, perhaps you could catch her and confront her in person? I think a more direct approach would be advisable in this situation. I wish you the best, keep us updated.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Does the university have an academic ombudsman? Their job is to help with stuff just like this.

Just for FYI, they probably have deadlines that the university holds their feet to the fire over during that term but maybe not for an incomplete. Most universities allow professors to determine whether or not you are allowed to make up incompletes. That incomplete means you missed your deadline so your professor may feel you aren't justified in getting your nose out of joint if she misses one for you.

Just for clarification, when she sent the e-mail about being in Alaska was she doing so to try and get you to turn in everything prior to her leaving? When did you get it turned in?

I know you've had a rough time of it, I remember the student teaching issues, but try to keep level headed about this and remain as professional in your dealings with university officials as possible. I hope you get this worked out.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-09-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities