Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:02 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times

Advertisements

Would have to be sort of rare theoretical degree, I have no idea why a school would churn out an MA in Education who can't pass student teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Here are a list of things that one could do that is non-teaching.
Education: Non-Teaching Careers | Center for Career Education

OP, I mean this in all sincerity, have you thought about talking to someone about your extreme stress? One class plus working should not put one so over the edge.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
I am really hoping that there was something else major going on besides working and going to school. Something that OP isn't sharing. Those two things together do not cause a competent adult to suffer a nervous breakdown.

- Signed, Full time site manager, 3/4 time student, full time parent & part time volunteer

Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Im still trying to figure out..how you failed student teaching lol...you know i would be more worried about that than an incomplete...i just hope you arnt teaching now since you failed student teaching lol

Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I won't address all the drama with failing a required course and having a breakdown but I will say that it's never too late for a teacher to change a grade or turn one it. It can be delayed but it can always be corrected.

My daughter finished college, walked at graduation, moved away and got a job before getting an email saying she didn't meet the requirements for her degree and her petition to graduate was denied. It took several back and forth emails before someone, somewhere did whatever they had to do and she was mailed her diploma. Her bf at the time went through the same thing (even moving with her and getting a job) KNOWING he was 1 class short. I'm not sure he cares at this point and sure isn't going back to his old college town to take whatever he's missing.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 AM

400 posts, read 1,918,637 times
All but two posters on this thread have my situation correct, so let me clarify for you;

1.I did not fail my last class in my graduate program. I took an Incomplete due to a nervous breakdown I had during the spring semester, of which the details are frankly none of your business and won't be. FYI: an Incomplete is not an F; it is an extension to finish a course.

2. I did fail the second half of my student teaching but that's not relevant to this thread's topic.

3. This thread's topic was my frustration over my professor's lack of communication and delay in turning in my final grade so that I can be awarded my masters in education which is part of the teaching program that I completed. It was not about my ability to teach, or multi-task graduate school with jobs, family, etc. It was also not about nervous breakdowns, or failing last classes in college programs. And it was NOT about being given a masters without a teaching license.

As for all the snarky, misguided and mean comments directed at me personally from 95% of the posters here; grow up. I'm always astonished by how far people go to flame other posters' threads with snarky, mean comments just because it's the internet and identities are hidden by usernames. Seriously, do you think all your negative comments have no effect? It shows how shallow and detached you are from reality if you think your behavior online is exempt from taking responsibility for your actions.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
95% of the posters here
so a room full of complete strangers with absolutely no connection to your professor - and without even the chance to hear his/her side of the story, just yours - take his/her side...

and this doesn't make you think, even a little bit, "maybe i should reconsider my viewpoint"?

and we're immature. right...

Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
1.I did not fail my last class in my graduate program. I took an Incomplete due to a nervous breakdown I had during the spring semester, of which the details are frankly none of your business and won't be. FYI: an Incomplete is not an F; it is an extension to finish a course.
Had the professor submitted your actual grade, which would have included zeros for the missed assignments, what would it have been? If it was an F, then you failed the class. I think everyone understands what an incomplete is. The fact that the professor recorded an incomplete was great for you, and was very nice of her, but it's a semantic argument to claim you didn't fail. I also think the phrasing "I took an incomplete" is a bit of wordplay as well.

None of which has anything to do with your actual issue. The professor told you she was leaving for sabbatical in late August. You submitted assignments on August 28. Those two things alone prevent me from understanding how you rationalize that the professor is at fault. The only argument would be that August 28 is before "late August", which I can't imagine anyone making.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM

400 posts, read 1,918,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
so a room full of complete strangers with absolutely no connection to your professor - and without even the chance to hear his/her side of the story, just yours - take his/her side...

and this doesn't make you think, even a little bit, "maybe i should reconsider my viewpoint"?

and we're immature. right...
I'd say yes, you are immature. As far as my prof's side of the story as I already stated, she knew the summer deadline date (emailed to her a month in advance by my program's transcript coordinator who cc's the students and professors on the grade deadline who are involved in Incompletes). She also stopped communicating with me for a month which was strange since she had email access during her summer travels, and if she was going to travel to a place without email access then she could have told me that in advance.

My professor's failure to communicate with me caused me a lot of frustration and why I posted this vent/thread.

OdysseusNY you and the other posters here un-necessarily slung personal attacks at me, despite the fact that I have very good reason to be frustrated and upset based on everything I've gone through the last semester of my grad school program. Yours and the others' viewpoints are very slanted, not seeing either side, or just the professor's side. But not my side. I guess you're entitled to choose sides. That said, if you want me to see YOUR side, stop the insults and snarky comments then MAYBE I would.

As it stands, I have a right to be upset with my professor despite what you and others here think. She stopped communication, missed a grade deadline and has gone silent despite the fact that she still has to turn in my final grade. A professor - even one on sabbatical - cannot blatantly refuse to turn in a student's final grade when that student has turned in assignments for the Incomplete before the the university's set grade deadline.

The posters here who say that grade deadlines are not set are wrong. By not turning in a student's grade on time, that professor prevents the student from getting financial aid for the next semester and registering for classes the next semester. So grade deadlines do serve a purpose. In my case, by delaying my final grade, my professor prevents me from officially graduating and thus being granted my masters in education which I need for specific education-related jobs that I want to apply for. In essence, the professor's actions prevent me from working in the education field in jobs that require masters degrees (and jobs that I want to apply for).

I consider this thread closed now, as all I'd be doing from this point on is posting responses to more snarky posters' comments.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
So, to try to be constructive here...

Do you have an incomplete contract? What does it say for the professor's obligations?
If not, what are the written incomplete policies for your college? (Not just your university, but the graduate college specifically.)
Do the written sabbatical policies for your professor's department state anything about grading obligations/deadlines? Department polices on sabbatical will take priority over college priorities which will take priority over university policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities