Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 57,280 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in getting my Masters degree in Speech Language Pathology and wanted to know how difficult it is to get accepted into a program. I'm 35 years old with a Bachelors degree in Communications (about 13 years ago) and know that I would have to take a few prerequisite courses in order to apply to the Masters program (as well as take the GRE which intimidates me). However, I wanted to know if the competition is really as tough as some make it out to be. I know one person stated that they applied to 10 colleges and didn't get accepted into any of them. To say the least, I was shocked. Basically, I just want to get as much information as possible before I invest time and money in the courses and rearrange my family's schedule. What about online degree programs? Are more students accepted the distance education route? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,850 times
Here is my take, and yes the competition is fierce.

1. I cannot overstate this: try to get a 4.0 in your pre-requisite classes. Make this your ultimate priority. No exceptions. Your undergrad GPA from years ago will not matter as much (good or bad) as the grades you get in the pre-reqs.

2. It's not just about grades, you will also want to demonstrate your commitment through job shadowing, observation, volunteering, research, etc. Take the time to build your "portfolio" in these areas. This will help you in several ways, not least of which is gaining an appreciation for the type of work you will be doing.

3. You are probably at an advantage coming in as a post-bac. Having life experience, maturity and showing you've put thought into your potential new career is usually looked on favorably, and you are often given priority over less experienced undergrads.

4. Take some linguistics courses. Seriously.

5. The GRE is important, and you will probably need a score over 1100, which is not terribly hard if you put forth a moderate amount of effort. It's not the most important part of your application, but it will help.

6. If someone is not getting into grad school after 10 applications, they are obviously doing something wrong. It is competitive, but it's not impossible. Not knowing the person, whatever I say is purely conjecture, but these are the most likely reasons for not getting in:
-poor grades
-poor personal statements
-lack of variety in the schools to which they apply (e.g., don't apply just to the top schools -- I will discuss this more below).

7. Be realistic and reasonable about where you apply. You have a greater likelihood of getting accepted if you apply to a variety of schools. Go ahead and apply to top schools, but also pick several more in descending order. Personally, I think that "best" is relative, and what is best for you may not be best for someone else. So make a list of your "must haves," "should haves," "wouldn't that be nices," and then rank accordingly. This means you'll need to do more than just look at the US News & World Report Rankings. Go out and study programs, universities, areas, specialties, faculty members, etc. You will gain a greater understanding of your areas of interest as you complete pre-reqs, so pay attention to the authors of your textbooks, journal articles & research. Look where they went to school or where they're teaching. If you are willing to travel out of state, that will help you toss a wider net.

8. Make yourself known to the faculty as you take the pre-reqs, but don't be annoying. Just be a good student. Go to office hours and ask questions. Do all of your readings, take notes, and participate in class. Your professors can't give you a good recommendation if they don't know who you are, and where you have been out of school for a few years, it will be even more important for you to make a good impression.

9. Online Programs - there are a few good programs out there, but they are still competitive. There are many students who come to Communication Disorders after having been away from school for a while. They are often women with families, and limited in their ability to travel. My biggest advice is to do your research and consider the quality of coursework, the opportunities and quality of clinical work, and your level of supervision. You absolutely want good, experienced supervisors who will help you and give you feedback. You will also want support in finding things like internships.

The fact is, there is such a need for SLPs that you will still likely get a job (unless you're completely incompetent) once you graduate (there are always openings in schools). However, if you want to get the job or internship of your choice in the specialty of your choice and in the location of your choice, the grad school you go to does matter. Be prepared and you will do fine.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Figmalt,

Thank you so much for your thorough reponse. I will definitely take your advice into consideration. Again, thank you.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Here is my take, and yes the competition is fierce.

1. I cannot overstate this: try to get a 4.0 in your pre-requisite classes. Make this your ultimate priority. No exceptions. Your undergrad GPA from years ago will not matter as much (good or bad) as the grades you get in the pre-reqs.

2. It's not just about grades, you will also want to demonstrate your commitment through job shadowing, observation, volunteering, research, etc. Take the time to build your "portfolio" in these areas. This will help you in several ways, not least of which is gaining an appreciation for the type of work you will be doing.

3. You are probably at an advantage coming in as a post-bac. Having life experience, maturity and showing you've put thought into your potential new career is usually looked on favorably, and you are often given priority over less experienced undergrads.

4. Take some linguistics courses. Seriously.

5. The GRE is important, and you will probably need a score over 1100, which is not terribly hard if you put forth a moderate amount of effort. It's not the most important part of your application, but it will help.

6. If someone is not getting into grad school after 10 applications, they are obviously doing something wrong. It is competitive, but it's not impossible. Not knowing the person, whatever I say is purely conjecture, but these are the most likely reasons for not getting in:
-poor grades
-poor personal statements
-lack of variety in the schools to which they apply (e.g., don't apply just to the top schools -- I will discuss this more below).

7. Be realistic and reasonable about where you apply. You have a greater likelihood of getting accepted if you apply to a variety of schools. Go ahead and apply to top schools, but also pick several more in descending order. Personally, I think that "best" is relative, and what is best for you may not be best for someone else. So make a list of your "must haves," "should haves," "wouldn't that be nices," and then rank accordingly. This means you'll need to do more than just look at the US News & World Report Rankings. Go out and study programs, universities, areas, specialties, faculty members, etc. You will gain a greater understanding of your areas of interest as you complete pre-reqs, so pay attention to the authors of your textbooks, journal articles & research. Look where they went to school or where they're teaching. If you are willing to travel out of state, that will help you toss a wider net.

8. Make yourself known to the faculty as you take the pre-reqs, but don't be annoying. Just be a good student. Go to office hours and ask questions. Do all of your readings, take notes, and participate in class. Your professors can't give you a good recommendation if they don't know who you are, and where you have been out of school for a few years, it will be even more important for you to make a good impression.

9. Online Programs - there are a few good programs out there, but they are still competitive. There are many students who come to Communication Disorders after having been away from school for a while. They are often women with families, and limited in their ability to travel. My biggest advice is to do your research and consider the quality of coursework, the opportunities and quality of clinical work, and your level of supervision. You absolutely want good, experienced supervisors who will help you and give you feedback. You will also want support in finding things like internships.

The fact is, there is such a need for SLPs that you will still likely get a job (unless you're completely incompetent) once you graduate (there are always openings in schools). However, if you want to get the job or internship of your choice in the specialty of your choice and in the location of your choice, the grad school you go to does matter. Be prepared and you will do fine.
+1

Everything that he/she said....

Also, have some variety in your letters of recommendation, not just professors.

Be willing to relocate for school, if possible.

Check out the SLP grad school admissions/rejections forum at gradcafe for a little insight

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index....ech&t=a&pp=250

Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Calipoppy, thanks for the link. I didn't know something like this existed. You guys have been a wealth of information and encouragement.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
There are programs where you get certified for SLP, and can work in a school system. These are pre -reason needed for the MS usually anyway. There is a program in Nevada.
http://www.nsc.nevada.edu/1128.asp

Last edited by jasper12; 05-24-2012 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 17,834 times
Thumbs up Speech-Language Pathology MS

Grand Valley State University has an excellent SPL undergrad program and now accepting applications for a new Masters program starting Fall of 2013. You should definitely check it out.

[url]http://www.gvsu.edu/csd/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities