Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM

326 posts, read 478,587 times

Advertisements

After doing a little bit of research, I found that there is a huge demand for Speech Language Pathology and Audiology. Are these math intensive fields? I can do basic math, but I struggle with calculus.

Can you get into SLP or Audiology with any degree?

Which one is better for future job prospects?

Are there ways to getting aid without going into too much debt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
I'm currently getting my masters in speech pathology.

It's not a math intensive field at all. You won't need calculus.

I'm not sure about audiology but generally for speech, you can major in whatever you want in undergrad. If you don't major in CDS (communicative disorders and science) you will need to do an extra year in grad school. I have heard a few schools that absolutely will not accept students without a CDS background but those are less common.

As far as aid, I did not come across many scholarships (undergrad) specifically for speech. For grad school there is something called the Teach Grant which gives approx 4000 a semester but you are required to work in an under privileged school for 4 years post graduation. There are loan forgiveness programs (full and partial) but most involve working in schools so you are SOL if you want to work somewhere else. The good thing about the field though is that most of the top schools are state schools and name/prestige of the school is not that important anyway. There's no need to get a degree at an expensive private college. Go for the cheapest option.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Do you need experience to get into the SLP programs? I graduated with a 2.8 cumulative gpa, but I had well over a 3.0 in my major the last 2 years of study when I switched to Urban Planning from Biochem.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Speech programs are really competitive so I would recommend having experience especially if your GPA isn't strong. I did not have much experience specifically in speech, but I was in a ton of activities and had a really good GPA. I got into a good amount of the schools I applied to.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Where are the best places to get experience before applying for grad school?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
Do you need experience to get into the SLP programs? I graduated with a 2.8 cumulative gpa, but I had well over a 3.0 in my major the last 2 years of study when I switched to Urban Planning from Biochem.
If your GPA in the last two years is strong, then just apply.

Grad schools are almost always more lenient on GPA than their minimum and average acceptance stats suggest. Depends on the program of course, but in general it is the case.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It's a great field, and not heavy on the math, at all. I work in special education, and work pretty intensively with numerous SLPs, and two of my family members are SLPs. They are without exception VERY bright people who were excellent students.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 AM

Alrighty, I'll work on getting the GRE done and other application materials so I can get into SLP school. I'll also start looking for schools.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4;30302495[B
]Speech programs are really competitive[/b] so I would recommend having experience especially if your GPA isn't strong. I did not have much experience specifically in speech, but I was in a ton of activities and had a really good GPA. I got into a good amount of the schools I applied to.
Yes, this.

They are very competitive. I've participated in online forums with future SLPs and every one of them was ready to move and live pretty much anywhere if it meant getting into a program.

As for careers though, from my research, SLP seems to be more flexible and more in demand. You can work with a variety of age groups, you can work in schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. You can work as a travel SLP to roam around the country filling in for SLPs on vacation. It pays well and seems pretty versatile.

I interviewed an SLP as part of an English class, and I have talked to many others, and all of them seem very satisfied with their career choice, so that's a plus.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Every single SLP I have worked with absolutely LOVES their job. Schooling for it is costly, but the pay is definitely commensurate with the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities