Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,844 times

Advertisements

So, Business Insider magazine just came out with their top 25 most dangerous colleges list in regards to crime stats gathered from the FBI. Obviously, I know these lists can be skewed a bit, so you have to look at them through a critical lens, but nonetheless, I thought it would make a great discussion topic. I have to say, I'm actually kind of shocked about which schools are on here. Ball State is #11?? Muncie, Indiana is that dangerous?? Kind of amazing to say the least. UCLA is number 1, which is actually surprising too. I know it's in LA, but it's actually located in Westwood part of LA, which I've always heard is quite nice. I posted the link below. Enjoy!

Most Dangerous Colleges In America - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
2) Berkeley - I can comment on this since I went there. The dormitories and off campus housing requires walks through several blocks of off campus areas. It's not a bad area, but the atmosphere and security is very loose. Lots of weirdos, homeless people, and runaway punk kids. It's what in essence makes Berkeley ... Berkeley. So, assaults and robberies are commonplace. A few of my friends were robbed. They aren't too often of the violent kind from what I remember though.

5) Vanderbilt - Has anyone ever been to that part of Nashville? Pretty nice.

3) Duke - Talk about a preppy school sandwiched in a clean suburb. #3. For anybody that's been there, you will agree. Ummm. How? Unless it's student on student crime.

18) Rutgers Newark - surprised it's not higher.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I'm surprised USC isn't in the top 25. Anyone been to that community? It's right next to the Coliseum in LA. It's rough man, real rough. I used to go to Raider games down there in the broad daylight with five other big dudes with LAPD all over the place and the place still made me nervous.

I guess it comes down to the statistics and what they mean.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
18) Rutgers Newark - surprised it's not higher.
Why? Downtown Newark is relatively safe. And Rutgers is surrounded by other university campuses and corporate campuses. I'm surprised that UMDNJ, which is more exposed to Newark's projects, is not on that list.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Indiana State surprised me... Terre Haute isn't know as a dangerous place at all.. Petty crime I can see perhaps, but violent??

Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

3) Duke - Talk about a preppy school sandwiched in a clean suburb. #3. For anybody that's been there, you will agree. Ummm. How? Unless it's student on student crime.
Uh are we thinking of the same Duke? Yes it is a preppy school, but it is fairly spread out and chunks are right near some really questionable parts of Durham. Duke also has a bit of a town/gown issue as well.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Uh are we thinking of the same Duke? Yes it is a preppy school, but it is fairly spread out and chunks are right near some really questionable parts of Durham. Duke also has a bit of a town/gown issue as well.
Exactly, I work at Duke and there are at least 2-3 armed robberies on campus per year. Durham isn't a suburb...its a city with all of the attendant perks and problems of a city.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I think the attitudes at the schools can play in a bit as well ... how exposed do the students make themselves, what is acceptable, etc.

If you look at some real urban schools and I'll use Temple only because I'm somewhat familiar with it - security is taken pretty seriously .... the campus shines with lights at night, you know where to and where not to go and you make sure to pay attention to your stuff ...... thing happen because things happen everywhere - but you don't walk around feeling invincible and learn to keep yourself out of bad situations

Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM

Finger, it's funny you mentioned Temple because I was surprised they weren't on the list, considering I've heard their campus is in a pretty shady area.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Indiana State surprised me... Terre Haute isn't know as a dangerous place at all.. Petty crime I can see perhaps, but violent??
I know, right? I mean I have driven past Terre Haute on the highway and it looked like your typical regular small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities