Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
This is what I think of these surveys.. if it were on paper, I'd use it to line up a bird cage.
US News Top 50 national universities and Top 25 public universities lists are pretty accurate to me. Their regional lists and small college lists are more obscure to most people, but I still think some of those are pretty decent schools. Oftentimes, they end up on a separate list because they are not doctoral granting institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Once again, the quality of students admitted to a school doesn't tell us anything about the quality of education they receive once admitted. One study shows the civic literacy scores of Harvard students actually declining as they progress from freshman to senior.

The trend at Harvard is for professors to drop final exams. And why not? Their students are already at the top of the curve without a whole lot of effort on the part of faculty.
Well then, all things being equal why would you argue that it's bad. Why would argue that College of Ozarks or wherever is better?

Have you actually gone to Harvard and the College of Ozarks to earn two bachelor degrees?

The quality of education you're 'getting' makes no sense. You can't judge it unless you actually went there and somewhere else.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well then, all things being equal why would you argue that it's bad. Why would argue that College of Ozarks or wherever is better?

Have you actually gone to Harvard and the College of Ozarks to earn two bachelor degrees?
I've never gone to Harvard, but Ross Douthat has: The Truth About Harvard.

Quote:
The quality of education you're 'getting' makes no sense. You can't judge it unless you actually went there and somewhere else.
That isn't true. One can make accurate judgements about the quality of an education without actually receiving it. You can start with the content of what is being taught. You can make judgements about the importance of various subjects. If you have some idea of what a liberal education is supposed to look like, you can evaluate various curricula and reach solid conclusions.

Read Douthat's article. In no sense is what he received a liberal education worthy of a college undergraduate.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
I've never gone to Harvard, but Ross Douthat has: The Truth About Harvard.

That isn't true. One can make accurate judgements about the quality of an education without actually receiving it. You can start with the content of what is being taught. You can make judgements about the importance of various subjects. If you have some idea of what a liberal education is supposed to look like, you can evaluate various curricula and reach solid conclusions.

Read Douthat's article. In no sense is what he received a liberal education worthy of a college undergraduate.
In my opinion, grade inflation is a good thing. I only wish I had the foresight to attend a reputable school that used grade inflation (not that it would have mattered for my life path). I got into a few for sure.

College is all about self motivation. You learn and retain what you actually want to LEARN. Not what you force feed yourself in order to beat the mean on a test.

You think Ivy League schools are filled kids who never go to class, never do work, and just collect their 3.5 GPA?

They got into those schools for a reason. Because they have work ethic. And usually ... that carries over.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you are teaching an Ivy League, Georgetown, or Notre Dame audience, you are teaching brighter kids. They most likely will absorb 80+% of the material ....
Not if the material is sufficiently challenging. Grade inflation makes that difficult to determine. The questions remain: 1. Are students sufficiently challenged? 2. What is the quality of the material? 3. What is the relevance of the material?

Quote:
That means a lot of As and Bs will be given.
No, it doesn't. As mentioned earlier, in 1955 just 15 percent of Harvard undergraduates had a GPA of a B-plus or higher.

Quote:
The other thing is that retention is a good thing about a school.
It can mean different things depending on the schools being compared. All things being equal, the more rigorous the program, the lower the retention rate.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 12-13-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:
All right, folks. Where's the evidence that Ivy League schools offer superior educations?

Having an ultra-selective admissions policy is not evidence.

Having large numbers of successful or prominent graduates is not evidence.

These things only prove that extremely intelligent students are admitted, who are probably self-taught to a large extent, and that the school's prestige carries weight with employers.

But they say nothing about educational quality, breadth, or depth; academic rigor and difficulty; the formation of the intellect; the imparting of knowledge; the development of wisdom and character; etc.
This makes no sense whatsover. Having lots of successful graduates means the schools are less successful?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:
If you want a proxy for academic rigor, the graduation rate is much more telling than the admissions rate. Thomas Aquinas College, for instance, has a lower graduation rate (69%) than all of the Ivy League schools, which have rates in the 90s.

Also, note the appalling trend toward grade inflation at Harvard:

"More than 90 percent of the class of 2001 had earned grade-point averages of B-minus or higher. Half of all the grades given the year before were As or A-minuses; only six percent were C-pluses or lower. By way of comparison, in 1940 C-minus was the most common GPA at Harvard, and in 1955 just 15 percent of undergraduates had a GPA of B-plus or higher."

The deeper one digs into the reality of Ivy League educations, the more it appears that "the emperor has no clothes".
This makes no sense whatsoever. Having fewer students graduate means the school is more successful?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM

589 posts, read 851,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
This makes no sense whatsoever. Having fewer students graduate means the school is more successful?
EdJS, I can understand your frustration.

Low grad rate means better school? Well, I guess that makes the community college down the road from me, pretty much the best institution in the USA.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-15-2012 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: removed the wingnuts comment - address the post, not the poster

Old 12-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Not if the material is sufficiently challenging. Grade inflation makes that difficult to determine. The questions remain: 1. Are students sufficiently challenged? 2. What is the quality of the material? 3. What is the relevance of the material?

No, it doesn't. As mentioned earlier, in 1955 just 15 percent of Harvard undergraduates had a GPA of a B-plus or higher.

It can mean different things depending on the schools being compared. All things being equal, the more rigorous the program, the lower the retention rate.
In your quest to present yourself as being very orthodox, you are being anything but on this topic, applying selective perception to how you view universities, what they teach, and now even their grading. If it works, don't fix it.

As for your last sentence (quoted), does this imply that the 95+% retention of medical school students mean that most of them are incompetent? Most of them ARE competent.

If you are the "chief cook and bottle washer" in helping your brood of kids make choices about college, this doesn't look like it's going to bode well.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, grade inflation is a good thing. I only wish I had the foresight to attend a reputable school that used grade inflation (not that it would have mattered for my life path). I got into a few for sure.

College is all about self motivation. You learn and retain what you actually want to LEARN. Not what you force feed yourself in order to beat the mean on a test.

You think Ivy League schools are filled kids who never go to class, never do work, and just collect their 3.5 GPA?

They got into those schools for a reason. Because they have work ethic. And usually ... that carries over.
Agreed. I couldn't rep you again.

I've gone to some respectable public universities and how did I pull very high 3.xx type GPAs? By saying no to the pubs and living in the library. Those who did not do that got lower grades. It's as simple as that.

Western Pilgrim has once stated elsewhere that he was not a particularly good student. That he is sparring with people who have invested heavily in their academic pursuits is laughable ... and a waste of bandwidth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities