Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

Part of managing e-mails is managing the e-mails coming in from your alma mater, or universities you've attended. A large portion of these look for $$$$$. I contacted the schools I've attended and told them NOT to contact me, at all, and to delete me from their lists. They have been respectful of this boundary but, recently, my undergraduate school broke this silence by an e-mail looking for money, and I hit the reply button with a creative and not very diplomatic response.

I do not give money. I already gave ... and wrote checks for loans for quite a while. There are alumni with more money.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 12-22-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,113 times
I'm still a student, but a fairly good portion of my education is being paid for by a University scholarship that wouldn't be possible without alumni donations. So assuming my education pays off and I can afford it, I'd be glad to give some money back as thanks.

I know my grandmother has contributed to the private high school she attended, but probably not her alma mater (Western Reserve University) as it doesn't exist as a separate entity anymore. Actually, I'm curious as to whether or not she's ever received any requests for money from "Case-Western."

I don't know if my parents (Ohio State and University of Florida) have ever contributed.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
I used to give to them for about maybe a year after I graduated because I wanted to be a part of the alumni association. I thought they could help me, and was my social network.

Well I got nothing out of them, so I stopped donating.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
After local flyers, penny savers, the biggest bulk of mail that are not bills in my mailbox comes from the 7 colleges our family have attended. That's in addition to the emails.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times
Alumni support is awesome. Why wouldn't you give to your alma matar? It's a chance to give back to your school and support it in a way that truly counts. If it weren't for a scholarship that was also started by an alumni(who I actually got to meet) I'd be at community college right now.

People are so selfish. "Panhandling"

Anyone who calls donations to your alma matar panhandling is not someone I want graduating from my school. Don't give, but don't insult those who give. State funding isn't what it was when YOU went to school. You got lucky and nothing more. Take a look at tuition for the average public school before discounting these relentless "spam" emails that just badger you for your money. Next, compare average salary and job availability to non-college student now vs a non-college student when you went to school.

Two thumbs down. I guess this is why some schools have stronger alumni networks than others. Culture. Quality.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
People are so selfish. "Panhandling"

Anyone who calls donations to your alma matar panhandling is not someone I want graduating from my school. Don't give, but don't insult those who give. State funding isn't what it was when YOU went to school. You got lucky and nothing more. Take a look at tuition for the average public school before discounting these relentless "spam" emails that just badger you for your money. Next, compare average salary and job availability to non-college student now vs a non-college student when you went to school.
If you don't know the context, please don't criticize. Having gone to grad school, I'll pick which school I liked and to which I want to donate. I asked this school not to contact me and they would fall last in line for money. Maybe they program their computers to contact someone again after a certain time frame to see if they have "softened." In the intervening time, my opinion of the institution has not changed.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
I was able to attend college largely because previous alumni were generous, I gladly give to my alma matter so others can do the same. When I was first out of college, it wasn't much, but something. I give more now. I don't understand the venom of having colleges contact you for donations, just sad .

Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you don't know the context, please don't criticize. Having gone to grad school, I'll pick which school I liked and to which I want to donate. I asked this school not to contact me and they would fall last in line for money. Maybe they program their computers to contact someone again after a certain time frame to see if they have "softened." In the intervening time, my opinion of the institution has not changed.
Fine pick a school, but don't make it sound like your alma matar is a greedy businessman out to eat dollars. If you're going to bash, bash your school, don't bash the concept.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,102 times
I just graduated in June, and I've already made a donation to my alma mater's athletic department. Some of my best memories at school were at football and basketball games, and Ohio University's athletics are on the upswing, and I'd like to see them continue to succeed. Plus, as a member of the Bobcat Club, I can purchase better tickets and get other perks.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Yes, I give to my alma mater, and no, I do not consider it panhandling.

I was able to even go to my college because of generous alumni that came before me. It is the least i can do - help someone else get a great education.
And like TheYo says, the perks are good!

I get two or three solicitation letters a year... they stop when I give my annual donation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Part of managing e-mails is managing the e-mails coming in from your alma mater, or universities you've attended.
I don't have that problem.
I did not give them my email address, so they don't send me any!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities