Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My point is that math is not needed. Once again, that's my point. I am trying to help this person. What are you trying to do? Grandstand about your fiend of interest?
I suggest people not avoid math, since they are still young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 PM

338 posts, read 741,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
There may be a lot of careers that don't use math on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean you don't have to have a solid understanding of math to break in.
Are you saying I'm out of luck? What about the other jobs he listed, what kind of math do they require?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with you! The world does not revolve around math, but to hear some of the people on this thread and other, one might think that it does.
They seem to attack anyone who suggests otherwise.
Since your daughter excels in other subjects, I think that there is a good chance that she has dyscalculia. For further information, visit dyscalculia.org. YES there is a name for it!

I am glad that your daughter is doing well in college. I am sure that she is a smart young woman. Her experiences well make her a more sensitive educator. I think that her kindergarten class is lucky to have her as a teacher.
Fascinating. I've never heard of that. I did look it up but she really didn't have any of the other symptoms. Basically, to her numbers were a foreign language. As she has grown she has become much better in Math. Well at least the basics. That's why she can't teach above 3rd grade. She couldn't teach the Math.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
OK, so I'm no good at math (I can't even do algebra), and I wonder if there are any good majors and/or degrees that don't involve math or science, or am I doomed to be a failure in life?
You are not doomed for failure, not by a long shot. You don't have to be good at math to be successful. Here are a few good majors for non-math majors:

Liberal Arts/Humanities
Film/Theater
Journalism/Broadcasting/Communications
English (can follow with a masters in fine arts or creative writing)
Psychology (although you'll need at least a masters also)
Sociology (will need an advanced degree)
Political Science (can go on to Law school)
Nursing
Physical Therapy
Computer Science
Business (the math required is doable, even if you need a tutor )

Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Computer science degrees require a lot of math. Do you mean information technology?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Maybe my REAL problem is I don't have any self-confidence.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
You are not doomed for failure, not by a long shot. You don't have to be good at math to be successful. Here are a few good majors for non-math majors:

Liberal Arts/Humanities
Film/Theater
Journalism/Broadcasting/Communications
English (can follow with a masters in fine arts or creative writing)
Psychology (although you'll need at least a masters also)
Sociology (will need an advanced degree)
Political Science (can go on to Law school)
Nursing
Physical Therapy
Computer Science
Business (the math required is doable, even if you need a tutor )

Good Luck!
All of these are very good ideas! Thanks Jaded!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
hmmm...I guess I should go tell my sister-in-law all the times she has found doc screw ups on when checking dosage charts, she didn't use math.

Thanks for letting me know, so I can tell her.

I'm a part time personal trainer, I can assure you I use math when developing diet plans for clients.

Unit dosage is normal and many nurses do catch drs mistakes on many levels. No math involved. More frequently it is caught in the pharmacy since oh - that last thirty years.arithmetic.

As a personal trainer you use Mathematics? I think that you are confused. Mathematics is different from yarithmetic. Arithmatic is not a problem for mostly anyone.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Computer science degrees require a lot of math. Do you mean information technology?
IT also requires a solid math background. No way could you do well in either of those fields without math skills.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM

I'm a high school graduate. I think it's too late for me to try to learn Calculus/Statistics.

Also, now that I think about it, I can remember bits and pieces of algebra, and I can remember the formulas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities