Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are many professors who have not studded Math that are not ancient. They are good communicators and are experts in their fields.They just do not teach math.

Math does not play a role in their lives. They hated it in High School avoided it in college and detest it to this day.

They do not need to be wished "good luck" by you or by anyone.
What's your point?

I was simply saying nowadays academic positions are extremely hard to find. What are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
What's your point?

I was simply saying nowadays academic positions are extremely hard to find. What are you talking about?
My point is that math is not needed. Once again, that's my point. I am trying to help this person. What are you trying to do? Grandstand about your fiend of interest?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
Also, I struggle with percentages without a calculator. I think it's because I've gotten so used to doing it with a calculator.
So use calculators! No one cares! There are SO MANY FIELDS OPEN TO YOU! Don't let one subject hold you back!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Algebra is not higher math.
The point is. the people on THIS thread don't care what Algebra is.

They don't want to touch the stuff, and some of us are attempting to help them not to Drink the Koolaid so to speak. MATH including Algebra are nothing but a BAD MEMORY for most of us.

These people are looking for MATH and ALGEBRA FREE majors, careers and colleges. M,Kay?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
I believe you. Here are a few professions and majors that do not require math or very little math. With a brain injury, you are certain to get a course exemption or substitution, if one is required by the university

6. Criminal Justice (requires statistics.)
10. Graphic artist (typically requires programming, which requires math.)
11. college or university instructor, professor (depends on the field, history sure, English, sure. Most fields, not true.)
13, Mental Health Counselor (Math and Statistics)
21. Lawyer (Lol, good luck getting into law school with no understanding of math, have you ever seen the LSAT?)
26. Insurance (Insurance requires math, while the salesmen may not be doing what the actuaries do they still need to understand it)
37. Political Science (Requires math to get into the field, political science has a lot of economics built in)
40. Civil Service Employee (Depends on the position, this is an awful broad generalization, my brother worked for the NGA....I'm sure he didn't know math, you know....with his math and computer science majors in college and all)
42. Urban Planning (Urban planning requires math, geometry, etc.).
43. Registered Nurse - very little in training and none in many services (requires math, especially when it comes to making sure drug doses are correct, etc.)
45 Personal Trainer, Coach (Personal trainers also typically act as nutrition coaches, Deciding macro nutrient breakdowns and calculating overall calories based off of this most certainly requires math).
There may be a lot of careers that don't use math on a daily basis, but that doesn't mean you don't have to have a solid understanding of math to break in.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM

None of those professions require math. NONE. RN? Yes to get out of school. If you work in ICU, yes. That's about it. I was able to pass it. I worked in Psych, Oncolgy, Peds, and Hospice. Most meds come up from pharmacy pre-measured. And no one uses drams any more. I suspect those Docs have passed on. I doubt it is being taught any longer.

A solid understanding of Algebra? No. Arithmetic? A working knowledge will work to be a personal trainer and many of the other fields mentioned.

Anyone else have some other ideas? My father Has been in the insurance industry for over 48 years. He had a book keeper. He did not touch match. And he made six figures. All of the other professions (and many more ) are non math. I didn't make them up, I gleaned them from several books.

Also google Professions that do Not Require Math.

See, I am trying to HELP people who have issues with this one subject. It's one subject. It is not READING or anything and yet today, people also graduate college without READING!

And I am all for it! I am not looking for ways to have people fail.I'd like people to succeed!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
None of those professions require math. NONE. RN? yes to get out of school. If you work in ICU yes. That's about it.

Anyone else have some other ideas? My father Has been in the insurance industry for over 48 years. He had a book keeper. He did not touch match. And he made six figures. All of the other professions (and many more ) are non math. I didn't make them up, I gleaned them from several books.

See, I am trying to HELP people who have issues with this one subject. It's one subject. It is not READING or anything and yet today, people also graduate college without READING!

And I am all for it! I am not looking for ways to have people fail.I'd like people to succeed!
hmmm...I guess I should go tell my sister-in-law all the times she has found doc screw ups on when checking dosage charts, she didn't use math.

Thanks for letting me know, so I can tell her.

I'm a part time personal trainer, I can assure you I use math when developing diet plans for clients.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
None of those professions require math. NONE. RN? Yes to get out of school. If you work in ICU, yes. That's about it. I was able to pass it. I worked in Psych, Oncolgy, Peds, and Hospice. Most meds come up from pharmacy pre-measured. And no one uses drams any more. I suspect those Docs have passed on. I doubt it is being taught any longer.

A solid understanding of Algebra? No. Arithmetic? A working knowledge will work to be a personal trainer and many of the other fields mentioned.

Clown college, maybe. All others, even the 3rd rate ones, no way.

Your arguments about why colleges and universities should not require math for certain majors are somewhat well reasoned. Then you throw out a statement like this and all your credibility dissolves.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
To get back on topic for a minute, if I were to do it all over at this point in time I would get a degree in ESL.

Learn to teach English as a second language. I wouldn't think there would be any math involved and maybe you could just take classes somewhere and get a certificate. Then you get a job doing it and once you have experience, you're golden.

Look at all the job openings for teachers of ESL. Look at all the hispanics who are going to be required to learn English.

I can't do math either, never could and still can't. I was good at languages and could communicate--I did tutor ESL for a while and absolutely loved it. It's so rewarding.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
To get back on topic for a minute, if I were to do it all over at this point in time I would get a degree in ESL.

Learn to teach English as a second language. I wouldn't think there would be any math involved and maybe you could just take classes somewhere and get a certificate. Then you get a job doing it and once you have experience, you're golden.

Look at all the job openings for teachers of ESL. Look at all the hispanics who are going to be required to learn English.

I can't do math either, never could and still can't. I was good at languages and could communicate--I did tutor ESL for a while and absolutely loved it. It's so rewarding.
Here's a site about ESL certification:

ESL Certification*

First requirement is an undergraduate degree. It doesn't matter what degree as long as you can pass subject matter exams to prove your English abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities