Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I was born prematurely, and I didn't get enough oxygen. It damaged the math part of my brain.

Really, I'd say math is my only weak subject.

I believe you. Here are a few professions and majors that do not require math or very little math. With a brain injury, you are certain to get a course exemption or substitution, if one is required by the university

1. Park Ranger Forest Service
2. Hospitality Management
3. Recreational Therapist
4. Social Worker, BSW
5. Social Worker MSW
6. Criminal Justice
7. Artist, fine
8. Artist , commercial
9. Chiropractic - ( I was surprised too)
10. Graphic artist
11. college or university instructor, professor
12. Speech Pathologist Adiologist
13, Mental Health Counselor
14. Journalist, writen
15. Journalist, photographic
16. Editor
17. Writer
18. Reporter
19. News Broadcast announcer
20. Clergy
21. Lawyer
22. Legal Assistant
24. History
25, Art Historian , museum curator
26. Insurance
27. Real Estate Sales
28. Event Planner
29, Vocational Counselor
30. University Positions
31, Secondary School Teacher - English
32, Secondary School Teacher - Social Studies
33. Secondary School Teacher - Health - Physical Education
34. Secondary School teacher - Foreign Language
35, Secondary School teacher - Art
36. High School Guidance Counselor
37. Political Science
38. Archeology
39. Camp Recreational and Resort Manager
40. Civil Service Employee
41. Archialogist
42. Urban Planning
43. Registered Nurse - very little in training and none in many services
44 ESL Instructor
45 Personal Trainer, Coach
44. Library Science
45 Philosophy
46 Theologian
47. American Studies
48 Area Studies
49. Substance Abuse Counselor ( CAC)
59, Advertising Account Executive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I believe the big companies offer the same package to every one, regardless of nationality.
I guess you didn't understand what I was saying. I will try to clarify.

The companies offer the same package to everyone. This is how they do it....> The way the companies weed out Americans/green card holders is by setting a below market pay rate for the position that is advertised, regardless who applies. When the rate is very low, it weeds out Americans and most greencard holders, because they can hold out for higher paying positions. Instead, the tempy visa folks will apply for the below market positions. This is because their biggest goal is to get a job inside the USA....the pay rate is secondary. Often they start working on their greencard while they are working the low rate job with their tempy visa.

Once they get their greencard, they often hop job to get a higher rate. By then they figured out they were working for low wages when they first entered. They don't realize it in the beginning because they are just entering the country and used to their low wages in their country of origin.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I guess you didn't understand what I was saying. I will try to clarify.

The companies offer the same package to everyone. This is how they do it....> The way the companies weed out Americans/green card holders is by setting a below market pay rate for the position that is advertised, regardless who applies. When the rate is very low, it weeds out Americans and most greencard holders, because they can hold out for higher paying positions. Instead, the tempy visa folks will apply for the below market positions. This is because their biggest goal is to get a job inside the USA....the pay rate is secondary. Often they start working on their greencard while they are working the low rate job with their tempy visa.

Once they get their greencard, they often hop job to get a higher rate. By then they figured out they were working for low wages when they first entered. They don't realize it in the beginning because they are just entering the country and used to their low wages in their country of origin.
Come one, this is the 21st century. People can always tell if they are underpaid or not with a click. Salary data are available online.

I understand your point that some foreign nationals do not negotiate much because they want the job badly. My point is, however, top companies do not really play the games. Their candidates are always among the best in the field, and they don't want to lose them in the future. After all, no company wants to be a training school for competitor companies.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Went to college with a man who couldn't pass college math. He took it 3 times. Finally the school allowed him to substitute a philosoply. Later after taking his MFA, he ended up being a professor in the art department of a large university. He is an intelligent, self-motivated person.

Any employers I had were well aware I am a very intelligent, self-motivated person, although I made a C in college math. It is sorta lost on that page of solid A grades for the remaining 203 credits for my BFA. Not including any graduate work which didn't have any cees. Most of my adult life I was my own boss in my own business. I'm only writing this to demonstrate plenty of bright people do not need math for a perfectally great existance even if math is omitted from their resume. Doubtful any employer spends one second searching a resume for math grade, because, they don't give a shXt.

Perfect example! And I'm sure that he is a very smart man! I took my one Math course voluntarily. I took it "Pass - No Record" so that it would not screw up my GPA. Had I recieved a grade I am sure it would have been know higher than a C+. I have never had any occasion to use anything taken in that class and I frankly do not remember much of it. I took it because I was interested in Law and they said it would look good. But WHY? When I think back on it, what a waste! Of money and time. I could have been actually learning something. But I needed to make my transcript "look well balanced".

Recently I was reading the description of the type of students Antioch College is looking for. They described them as "students with a passion, Some of whom are not well balanced, but are well lopsided in their interests."

Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM

338 posts, read 741,545 times
Also, I struggle with percentages without a calculator. I think it's because I've gotten so used to doing it with a calculator.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Wait, are you saying algebra ISN'T necessary in a LOT of jobs?
Yes I am saying that! math is hyped as being important frequently for reasons that ignore student success and instead are more a reflection of academic politics than the goal of student education.
Many times math is required in colleges to buttress sagging departments which are, (what a surprise)
most often in mathematics and the physical sciences. Lower lever colleges are most often guilty of this.

1. There are MANY careers and professions that require little or no math.

2. There are colleges and universities that do not require Math in order to graduate.
They do this in several ways 1. By actually having no math requirements
2. By issued wavers to students who have documented learning disabilitie
in Mathematics.
3. By permitting substitutions for students who have documented learnin
disabilities in mathematics
4. By issuing wavers or course substations in Math to students with a
history of difficulty in Math as ascertained by academic records, a
disparity in Math grades and Liberal Arts, Social Science and in
other non Mathematical subjects that is greater than one would ex-
pect.

There are many subjects, career paths and professions where you will never need to see another math text book again! Read the various threads within this forum! So many people have written that after college or HS that they have never needed to revisit Algebra again and never needed to use it!

I am one of those people.
Also, choose your college wisely! So many colleges will work with you. Forget about the inflexible ones!

Best of luck and don't hesitate to send me a direct message if needed.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Also, I struggle with percentages without a calculator. I think it's because I've gotten so used to doing it with a calculator.

And there's nothing wrong with using a calculator. I use one all the time. In fact most people use a calculator. Why do you think we have them on our computers, phones and every other device we use. My daughter's 5th grade teacher said she had absolutely no math sense and he was right. She couldn't tell time or make change. And you can forget multiplication, division, word problems, fractions...she had no clue. Her math SAT's were so bad that she didn't even try to get into a 4 year college. She went to our community college instead. She placed so below in the math placement test that she had to take 2 non credit courses before she could take a credit math course.
She transferred to a 4 year state college. And because she was an A student in all other courses, except for science, she was admitted into the early childhood teaching program. She now teaches kindergarten. Math is still and always will be a major struggle for her but so what. She excels in other areas.

Go into a field you are passionate about and enjoy doing. Not everything revolves around math

Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
A brain injury that makes only math and science difficult? What is the medical name for this condition?
The medical name is "Dyscalulia, secondary to traumatic brain injury". If you still do not believe that this poster has an injury, I'd be more curious about why you don't believe it, than the medical term for that poster's inability do perform math.

If you are serious about learning more about this go to dyscalculia,org.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And there's nothing wrong with using a calculator. I use one all the time. In fact most people use a calculator. Why do you think we have them on our computers, phones and every other device we use. My daughter's 5th grade teacher said she had absolutely no math sense and he was right. She couldn't tell time or make change. And you can forget multiplication, division, word problems, fractions...she had no clue. Her math SAT's were so bad that she didn't even try to get into a 4 year college. She went to our community college instead. She placed so below in the math placement test that she had to take 2 non credit courses before she could take a credit math course.
She transferred to a 4 year state college. And because she was an A student in all other courses, except for science, she was admitted into the early childhood teaching program. She now teaches kindergarten. Math is still and always will be a major struggle for her but so what. She excels in other areas.

Go into a field you are passionate about and enjoy doing. Not everything revolves around math

I agree with you! The world does not revolve around math, but to hear some of the people on this thread and other, one might think that it does.
They seem to attack anyone who suggests otherwise.
Since your daughter excels in other subjects, I think that there is a good chance that she has dyscalculia. For further information, visit dyscalculia.org. YES there is a name for it!

I am glad that your daughter is doing well in college. I am sure that she is a smart young woman. Her experiences well make her a more sensitive educator. I think that her kindergarten class is lucky to have her as a teacher.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Before the 1990s, literally anyone with a PhD could be a professor.
Now? Good luck with that.
There are many professors who have not studded Math that are not ancient. They are good communicators and are experts in their fields.They just do not teach math.

Math does not play a role in their lives. They hated it in High School avoided it in college and detest it to this day.

They do not need to be wished "good luck" by you or by anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities