Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,454,141 times

Advertisements

Went to college with a man who couldn't pass college math. He took it 3 times. Finally the school allowed him to substitute a philosoply. Later after taking his MFA, he ended up being a professor in the art department of a large university. He is an intelligent, self-motivated person.

Any employers I had were well aware I am a very intelligent, self-motivated person, although I made a C in college math. It is sorta lost on that page of solid A grades for the remaining 203 credits for my BFA. Not including any graduate work which didn't have any cees. Most of my adult life I was my own boss in my own business. I'm only writing this to demonstrate plenty of bright people do not need math for a perfectally great existance even if math is omitted from their resume. Doubtful any employer spends one second searching a resume for math grade, because, they don't give a shXt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,769,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Doubtful any employer spends one second searching a resume for math grade, because, they don't give a shXt.
They don't. But good companies hire graduates from decent schools with good GPAs. You won't need to check the math grade of an MIT graduate, for example.

In old days, many low-skill jobs still paid well. Such a time will NEVER come back. Many Americans failed to realize that. It is the 21st century, "easy" jobs are either outsourced or suffering minimum wage.

Meanwhile, IT companies have to hire thousands of foreigners each year because they can't find Americans to do the job. So sad. Facebook even pays $7,000 per month for internships, and they have to hire foreigners.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Went to college with a man who couldn't pass college math. He took it 3 times. Finally the school allowed him to substitute a philosoply. Later after taking his MFA, he ended up being a professor in the art department of a large university. He is an intelligent, self-motivated person.
Before the 1990s, literally anyone with a PhD could be a professor.
Now? Good luck with that.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Meanwhile, IT companies have to hire thousands of foreigners each year because they can't find Americans to do the job.....
You bought that story hook, line and sinker. They don't have to hire foreigners. There are plenty of Americans to fill the positions.

It's all about getting the cheapest labor possible. The foreigners will usually work for much less, especially when they just enter the country. After a few years they find out they are underpaid, and they start asking for more money.

As long as there is a long line of new foreigners willing to come to the USA in exchange for lower wages, then the companies will keep saying there are not enough Americans to fill the positions. What they really means is " there are not enough Americans to fill the positions that are willing to work for the same rate as the foreigners."

Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,600,109 times
Quote:
95% do something that don't require college education. Seriously, most of the office jobs require nothing about college education.
Math, science and engineering REQUIRE college education, and those who succeed are guaranteed to be smart and self-motivated. ANY employer loves smart and self-motivated workers.
RRR is required for forum postings, so what? Some people post without reading.

A college degree is not the same as a Sci&Eng degree. There are plenty of the college degrees requiring rudimentary math and little more. Most 101 college math courses use multiple choice tests you can pass without knowing much. Many engineers do nothing more complicated than 4 basic arithmetic operations in their successful career. Many engineering fields are complicated to the point where advanced math is of little/no use, it's more art than science, the art that requires nothing more than 4 basic operations.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM

9,366 posts, read 13,028,693 times
Any kind of writing major, though technical writing and creative nonfiction translate best to a business setting.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You bought that story hook, line and sinker. They don't have to hire foreigners. There are plenty of Americans to fill the positions.

It's all about getting the cheapest labor possible. The foreigners will usually work for much less, especially when they just enter the country. After a few years they find out they are underpaid, and they start asking for more money.

As long as there is a long line of new foreigners willing to come to the USA in exchange for lower wages, then the companies will keep saying there are not enough Americans to fill the positions. What they really means is " there are not enough Americans to fill the positions that are willing to work for the same rate as the foreigners."
According to Federal law, it is illegal to pay foreign nationals less for the same position.

Well, you may argue Microsoft, Google etc. still do that illegally. However I can tell you a Chinese graduate student from my department got a $120k job right after graduation. Underpaid?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
According to Federal law, it is illegal to pay foreign nationals less for the same position.

Well, you may argue Microsoft, Google etc. still do that illegally. However I can tell you a Chinese graduate student from my department got a $120k job right after graduation. Underpaid?
It's usually the H1Bs that are the cheaper wages. They don't have to pay the foreigners less than Americans. They simply offer a wage that is lower than market rate. So low that someone that really wants to enter the country will take it because they want to get into the country so bad, that the lower wage is secondary. They eventually realize they are underpaid and do something about it. Often they are in the process of getting a greencard and work the low wages a few years until that is completed. Then they mix with the Americans, competing for higher wage positions.

The $120k graduate student above. was he on a tempy visa? Also, what is the market rate for the position? Was it contract with no benefits and no paid holiday/vacation and the maybe the $120k comes from multiplying the hourly rate X 40 X 52? If that's the case, it's equivalent to a lower pay rate for a full-time job with PTO and and benefits. (maybe equiv to full time salary of the mid 90k range . ) Maybe there were six dozen Americans that met the credentials perfectly but the market rate for that position was much higher, especially if they have graduate degrees and experience.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's usually the H1Bs that are the cheaper wages. They don't have to pay the foreigners less than Americans. They simply offer a wage that is lower than market rate. So low that someone that really wants to enter the country will take it because they want to get into the country so bad, that the lower wage is secondary. They eventually realize they are underpaid and do something about it. Often they are in the process of getting a greencard and work the low wages a few years until that is completed. Then they mix with the Americans, competing for higher wage positions.

The $120k graduate student above. was he on a tempy visa? Also, what is the market rate for the position? Was it contract with no benefits and no paid holiday/vacation and the maybe the $120k comes from multiplying the hourly rate X 40 X 52? If that's the case, it's equivalent to a lower pay rate for a full-time job with PTO and and benefits. (maybe equiv to full time salary of the mid 90k range . ) Maybe there were six dozen Americans that met the credentials perfectly but the market rate for that position was much higher, especially if they have graduate degrees and experience.
I believe the big companies offer the same package to every one, regardless of nationality.
Small companies may do the things you mentioned.

Yes, H1B visa and green card may need a sponsor, and the employer actually has to pay for that. However I don't believe Microsoft cares about that. Employees of this kind of companies usually don't leave.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,600,109 times
I think the best "therapy" for TS would be meeting some college freshmen in sci&eng (in second tier universities, better yet, community colleges) who passed their basic math courses with C or C+ and to see for himself what kind of "intelligence" and "knowledge" it takes to pass these days. It's possible, you might feel like an Einstein or something. Seriously, you need little more than a warm body to earn C, your fears of math failure are totally unfounded. Lack of funds is pretty much the only thing that might prevent one from earning a college diploma once admitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities