Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM

78 posts, read 197,662 times

Advertisements

Well known, party school, boring, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
CU-Boulder is a party school which has all the departments and the availability of a good education. However, few people take advantage of its/their FULL potential. Surprisingly, it is not hard to get into, even from out of state, for as popular as it is. I have met a few people who went there, and have liked NONE of them ... and they are "way cool" in perpetuity, as if they've never left that mindset.

You bring up Colorado's flagship school ... and Adams State. Instead, I suggest checking out CU-Denver. Sure, it's easier to get into than CU-Boulder, but it does NOT have a conformist vibe. It's just a practical school for a very diverse student body, like you would find in any downtown campus. Still, it has a nice green, treed campus in the shadow of downtown . It's an urban commuter school and, well, you can find an apartment nearby and walk, bus, or ride your bike to it. It, too, has all the disciplines, and is in the shadow of a good medical center. Because it isn't as selective, you'll have to do really well at CU-Denver for grad/professional school.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I can't speak for Adams State.

I know quite a few who have graduated from CU Boulder and also know kids who are attending there now. Our son included. I have NOT experienced what the above poster has in regards to people who have graduated from there. Quite the opposite actually.

I can only speak of what our son is experiencing and his degree. Yes, it is known for being a party school. But I do believe that is blown a bit out of proportion. Yes, my son has heard stories. But on the flip side, there are many, many serious students who attend school there. My son is in a dorm as opposite from party as you can get. And he is taking full advantage of many opportunities - and there are many. He's having a great experience. He has an amazing adviser.

It really also depends on what someone is interested in as to where a good fit would be. For example, if one were interested in ROTC CU Boulder is one of the main campuses for that. Students attending other colleges have to come to Boulder once a week for those classes which would be big pain in my opinion. Our son is in the Aerospace Engineering program. CU is the school for that.

Last edited by WhereTheSidewalkEnds; 02-04-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I can't speak for Adams State.

I know quite a few who have graduated from CU Boulder and also know kids who are attending there now. Our son included. I have NOT experienced what the above poster has in regards to people who have graduated from there. Quite the opposite actually.

I can only speak of what our son is experiencing and his degree. Yes, it is known for being a party school. But I do believe that is blown a bit out of proportion. Yes, my son has heard stories. But on the flip side, there are many, many serious students who attend school there. My son is in a dorm as opposite from party as you can get. And he is taking full advantage of many opportunities - and there are many. He's having a great experience. He has an amazing adviser.

It really also depends on what someone is interested in as to where a good fit would be. For example, if one were interested in ROTC CU Boulder is one of the main campuses for that. Students attending other colleges have to come to Boulder once a week for those classes which would be big pain in my opinion. Our son is in the Aerospace Engineering program. CU is the school for that.
I didn't say it wasn't a good school. It IS the state's flagship university. However, it takes determination to avoid getting absorbed into the party scene. Party schools often have dorms designated as "magnet" (like HS) or special interest dorms that cater specifically to students who want to be in a building with people who are more academically minded. Sadly, the people NOT in those dorms make fun of people in those dorms. As for Boulder, there is indeed a sharp dichotomy between a huge batch of rich Greek system types and a huge batch of granola types, both on campus and in the community itself. I don't like either extreme. I'm a big believer in urban schools to get more diversity, and I don't mean that to indicate political correctness, but REAL diversity, as in every type of person imaginable. In CO's case, the flagship school is in a college town and the urban school is a satellite campus. In places like Seattle, for example, it's the other way around. If I lived in Denver, I'd pick CU-Denver, but that's me. I also added the caveat that, since it's less prestigious, a person going there would have to do better than a student at CU-Boulder for grad school or whatever.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I didn't say you said it wasn't a good school....

My son is in the engineering dorms and frankly, if those kids are being made fun of they don't care or know. Our son is to busy to worry about what others think.

OP, it really depends on what you want to do as I said before. Different schools are better than others for certain degrees. People's generalizations of Boulder do get a little tiresome though.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
I went to CU for my master's in engineering.

CU is a big school. A very big school. A super-duper big school. Physically, it can take 20-30 minutes to walk from one side to the other depending on your pace. Like most big schools, it has essentially anything you want: you want a left handed underwater basket weaving club, you can probably find it.

Majors run the gamut from a little fruity and weak to extremely strong-again, like most state universities. The engineering school is fairly strong, as is the business school, but liberal arts have pockets of solid scholarship, also.

Students can get into Greek life, parties, study groups, student government, student protest, athletics (take part in, watch, or do intramurals), ROTC of all types, foreign exchange, language study, etc., etc. depending on their inclination and maturity level. It has a wonderful gym complex, dorms of all types, dining choices of all types, a decent library.

Basically, CU is what you make it. It is also in Boulder, which isn't honestly all THAT big. CU doesn't dominate Boulder, but it's a big chunk of it and a lot of the businesses cater to students. It can be a bit spendy to actually live in Boulder, but get a little out of town and it's less of a hit-I lived in Longmont and really enjoyed it as an older married guy.

Denver is about an hour-ish away, Eldora (ghetto slope but fine for most skiers, including me, of limited ability) is about 40-ish minutes away.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
kids are being made fun of they don't care or know. Our son is to busy to worry about what others think.
The engineering building is its own entity. There are several computer labs there, packed with white boards. One day I was grinding away at some code, and looked up at one. Some smarta*** had written:

"Come to liberal arts! We have the easy classes and pretty girls."

Just below an engineering student had written:

"Yeah, but we have the jobs after graduation."

QED

Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I have lived in Boulder County, Colorado for 30 years.

My younger daughter, my nephew and my son-in-law all have bachelor's degrees from CU-Boulder. The latter two also have a master's from there, as does little DD's boyfriend. DD transferred there from a private college. She said that she liked that CU is big enough you can find a group of friends no matter who you are. The Greek system is not *that* strong there. The frats were kicked off campus several years ago b/c they wouldn't go along with some of CU"s rules. I don't remember all the details. According to my 2010 US News guide, 8% of students are members of fraternities and 13% are members of sororities. Those numbers are much diluted by the 25,000 student body. This "granola" thing is mostly hype. Most popular majors there are business, management, marketing and related 15%; 15% social sciences; 11 % technological and biomedical sciences; 9% psychology; 8% engineering. The DD majored in biology; my nephew in finances (bachelor's and master's); son-in-law in engineering (both degrees); and the boyfriend in engineering. CU has 4 Nobel Prize winners in physics and one in chemistry. Very few students live in the dorms past freshman year.

CU-Boulder Nobel laureates | University of Colorado Boulder

UCD is a far different school. No dorms at all. Many students do eventually rent apartments, rather than live at home.

I'm not familiar with Adams State. It is not a school that a lot of Front Range students attend.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Those numbers are much diluted by the 25,000 student body.

UCD is a far different school.
If you think about it, 25,000 is still fairly cozy. Schools like UT-Austin, UMinn., and Ohio State have 50,000. I think the ideal size for a university is about 15,000 to 20,000.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you think about it, 25,000 is still fairly cozy. Schools like UT-Austin, UMinn., and Ohio State have 50,000. I think the ideal size for a university is about 15,000 to 20,000.
My point is, even with 13% of females in a sorority, there are almost 11,000 females who are NOT in a sorority. Ditto with 8% of males in a fraternity, there are more than 11,000 males who are NOT in a fraternity. This is way different than at some small colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities