Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM

213 posts, read 508,641 times

Advertisements

You're likely to receive flak from other posters for that last sentence, just a head's up.

And yes, for better or worse, the limit for PELL grants has been shortened to 12 semesters. I assume the reasoning behind the change was to cut off those who've either taken too long to finish, or have coasted through their undergrad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
You're likely to receive flak from other posters for that last sentence, just a head's up.

And yes, for better or worse, the limit for PELL grants has been shortened to 12 semesters. I assume the reasoning behind the change was to cut off those who've either taken too long to finish, or have coasted through their undergrad.
lol I don't care what anyone has to say, it's pretty evident that our educational system is a piece of_____.
Soon no one is going to be able to go school, and if they do, they'll have a bigger mountain of debt than most students have now. The "American Dream" is probably one of the biggest scams that was ever lol

Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,701 times
Hi all--

I didn't know you got PELL grants for twelve semesters.

Or that it would take twelve semesters for any reasonable person to graduate.

I took ten semesters to graduate with a double degree, and that's if you count my spending one of them in a hospital.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--

I didn't know you got PELL grants for twelve semesters.

Or that it would take twelve semesters for any reasonable person to graduate.

I took ten semesters to graduate with a double degree, and that's if you count my spending one of them in a hospital.
Yea how about going through family issues and having to withdraw from 2 full semesters. But yea from you're perspective life is pretty smooth so I can't condemn you for that.
Also this doesn't take part-time students into consideration, with Pell Grants you don't get enough tuition coverage when you're part-time, you more than likely still have to pay out of pocket.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
That would be 4 years to complete the undergraduate degree. Most complete in 8 - 10 semesters carrying (GASP) a full credit load, rather than the MINIMUM 12 credits necessary to keep the grant. Your point would be....

Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
How would you have paid for graduate school if you can't pay for your undergrad?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
... I also don't understand why there are no pell grants allowed in the summer...
The amount that a "full-time" student is awarded is supposed to cover courses that may be taken during summer session. Full-time for a student receiving a Pell grant is 12 credit hours That should be one of the first changes.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
That would be 4 years to complete the undergraduate degree. Most complete in 8 - 10 semesters carrying (GASP) a full credit load, rather than the MINIMUM 12 credits necessary to keep the grant. Your point would be....
Yea do that with a job, Einstein

Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How would you have paid for graduate school if you can't pay for your undergrad?
I'm saving for grad school, and was planning on taking out loans. I'm not doing that for undergrad i'm not going to be a debt slave.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Yea do that with a job, Einstein
You know what, I apologize, I'm just really upset about this news. It's hard enough going to college and believing i'll never get a job in my field. It's also hard not knowing what you really want to do, or if what you're doing is really going to fulfill you in life.

College = Long schooling for a job that makes 30-40K a year
No college= Dead end job for the rest of my life.
Only choices are perpetual misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities