Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,845 times

Advertisements

I've heard that any degree in engineering (particularly mechanical) has a pretty good employment rate. Just wanted to make sure it's true.

Tell me if this is a good reason to get this degree: I love nature and helping the environment, but I think that a degree like environmental science will be worthless. The closest thing to that and what I would love to do is environmental engineering... Except the university I'll be going to only offers that as a phd. What the school does offer is mechanical engineering, though 'm not quite sure this is for me. I'm pretty good at math and I really like it, but I don't really like physics. The main reason I'm looking at this degree is because I've read that it can lead to jobs where you create things to help the environment. Do you think I should get this degree? Are my reasons enough or should I look somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Sometimes a degree in civil engineering can include coursework in environmental areas.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,175 times
where are you from? I assume you want to go to a school in your state to avoid out-of-state tuition.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
As noted, civil engineering is worth looking into. As a side comment, engineering in all fields is about the efficient use of resources, so likely helps the environment independent of the specific company/ field you work in.

In general job prospects for engineering graduates have been good to better than very good, depending on the economy of course. You can get more detailed information from (1) the placement office at the university you are interested in (2) professional organizations and (3) recent graduates. Keep in mind that no one source should be regarded as authoritative.

Engineering often requires an understanding of and ability to apply physics concepts.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon731 View Post
I've heard that any degree in engineering (particularly mechanical) has a pretty good employment rate. Just wanted to make sure it's true.

Tell me if this is a good reason to get this degree: I love nature and helping the environment, but I think that a degree like environmental science will be worthless. The closest thing to that and what I would love to do is environmental engineering... Except the university I'll be going to only offers that as a phd. What the school does offer is mechanical engineering, though 'm not quite sure this is for me. I'm pretty good at math and I really like it, but I don't really like physics. The main reason I'm looking at this degree is because I've read that it can lead to jobs where you create things to help the environment. Do you think I should get this degree? Are my reasons enough or should I look somewhere else?

Consider being more practical. Make a trade off. Consider the hypothetical: Be 100% happy in a career in which there are 50 jobs, or be 80% happy in a career in which there are 50,000 jobs.

Here's a nice CD thread on this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ate-about.html

inspired from

Find The Thing You're Most Passionate About, Then Do It On Nights And Weekends For The Rest Of Your Life | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 04-01-2013, 02:30 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,722 times
As others have mentioned, I think that civil engineering might have some environmental components to it.

But have you ever thought about geology? I hear they do well also, especially in areas such as mining and petroleum engineering.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
A mechanical engineer can design a mechanism that uses less energy to perform functions. The conservation of energy is far more beneficial than extracting it from sources. In this day and age of technology, so often we forget that mechanics is technology.

No matter how you slice it and cover it with virtual technology or anything else derived from the other engineering disciplines, at some point work is a requirement without which nothing else can happen. The mechanical engineers make those things possible.

It is a strange thing that sometimes those with great experience and knowledge of the other engineering disciplines can't figure out how to apply the theory of mechanics to something more than an equation. A computer scientist and an information systems engineer can send an email to one another but is is the mechanical engineer that made it possible for them the turn on the computer, type on the keyboard and after reading the message, get in their car to drive to the movies.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,845 times
My main concern right now is if Mechanical engineering is right for me. I've had no experience in it at all and I was wondering if someone could explain what it's like. Also, what types of skills are required? Do you have to be the creative one coming up with new ideas, or do you just have to be able to work in a team and figure out what works best?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
My main concern right now is if Mechanical engineering is right for me. I've had no experience in it at all and I was wondering if someone could explain what it's like. Also, what types of skills are required? Do you have to be the creative one coming up with new ideas, or do you just have to be able to work in a team and figure out what works best?

Both and a million other things you could be doing from high level requirements definition and design to verification, project management, sales, and product support.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:

Civil engineering all the way.

You could get a mechanical engineering degree and still go to work in the civil/environmental field or continue on with a masters in environmental.

But if you are so focused on helping the environment, civil all the way.

Quote:
Mechanical to me is the purest form of engineering.

You are building things to run, and mechanical focuses on the science and knowledge required to harness the forces that makes thing run.

There is some overlap with Civil, but in general Mechanical goes way more into detail with objects in motion. Dynamics. Thermodynamics. Compressed fluids in motion.

Again, given your interests, Civil seems like a no-brainer.

Geology is also a good option as someone else mentioned, but coming from someone in the field, a Civ E degree will usually trump a geology degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities