Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 PM

697 posts, read 778,267 times

Advertisements

You can read more about types of engineering fields/work and their occupational outlook here Architecture and Engineering Occupations : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

More info here ABET - Explore Specific Careers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
I am a Mechanical Engineer. I will say that you should do environmental engineering if that is what you are passionate about. Mechanical Engineers (at least I am) are glorified blue collar machinists that also are versed in high level math, physics and computer aided design. I would say what I do is completely opposite of what you are looking for. For instance, this year I have been working on designing and creating pumps for the oil industry. I have designed large components for oil rigs and oil drilling equipment. I have designed parts for aircraft, automobiles and watercraft. Pretty much everything I make is contributing to environmental destruction. That's not to say you couldn't use your powers for good, or find a company that is designing parts for Tesla or solar and wind power equipment. I hate to tell you this, but most companies aren't in the game to help the environment they are in it to get money. The oil companies and other heavy industries are the ones that pay the big money.

Now here is the really disappointing news. I have a friend who is an Environmental Scientist, she thought she would be protecting the environment and busting companies for breaking laws but over 2 years into her lucrative job she now realizes she is just a corporate pawn. Her job is to essentially go to a job site as a 3rd party evaluator to make sure companies are doing the minimum to ensure they are in compliance ahead of EPA inspections. She then tells them how to hide or cover up what they have been doing so they won't get fined. Basically her company is a consultant that is paid good money by dirty industries to help them pass inspections by any means necessary. Phosphate count in the stream behind the factory too high? Just take the sample in a different spot, still too high? go down stream further, oh look at that they are in compliance now. Parking lot runoff not in compliance? hose it down quick, don't let cars park there for a week, block the drain, build a new one in a different spot, then when the inspection is over re-open the old one. Those are some examples of things she has been told to do to help clients.

It's all about what you want. I'd go Electrical Engineering it's broad and likely to be strictly white collar. You're more likely to work on something that protects or does not harm the environment.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
The OP is good at math but doesn't like physics. All engineering disciplines depend on physics. Especially electrical and mechanical. Physics is to engineering what biology 101 is to a biology major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities