Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 PM

141 posts, read 204,190 times

Advertisements

I'm a Sociology major and doing my business essential certificate at my public four year college.

I am interested of becoming a Social studies teacher at middle or high school. How can I become one?
I love teaching, and getting summer and holidays off.... Great for a person like me

Is it hard to become one? Am I in right degree?

Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
I'm a Sociology major and doing my business essential certificate at my public four year college.

I am interested of becoming a Social studies teacher at middle or high school. How can I become one?
I love teaching, and getting summer and holidays off.... Great for a person like me

If you want to teach Social Studies then you should be double majoring in history and education. I would suggest either changing majors or looking for a different career path. There is always a glut of well qualified and certified Social Studies teachers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:

i agree with the majoring in history part. If you are going into education just for the days off, then you might want to rethink that.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Social Studies isn't really a shortage area, and never has been, in general.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
WAY more social studies teachers than social studies positions.

How do you know you love teaching children? I also don't think you understand the after class hours that teachers put in.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM

141 posts, read 204,190 times
So I cannot take only sociology major and then teacher exam or whatever that is?

I took some history and other mixed classes both at my community college and my four year college. Yes, I love to teach.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
So I cannot take only sociology major and then teacher exam or whatever that is?

I took some history and other mixed classes both at my community college and my four year college. Yes, I love to teach.
It depends on your state.

Some states will allow you to just have a degree in your field, and take the right praxis to get a certificate of eligibility. You will not get a full license until you complete a year of teaching AND a year of alternate route classes.

BUT this doesn't typically happen for anything but shortage areas (high level science/math, etc). Social studies is not a shortage are. So unless you have a family member who is an admin who will "get" you a job, you need to have your certificate in hand.

Another exception is to do Teach for America. You will get a job, assuming you are in the top 10% of your class. They will get you licensed but the program is geared towards people who only want to teach for a couple of years.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:

Think about what you are saying. Why would a school district choose to hire someone that wasn't interested enough in history to even major in it in college if they have dozens, maybe hundreds, of applicants that not only majored in history but also education and are state certified. Why would you pick a sociology major??

This page may help show what you need to do to teach history in your state. 50 States' Certification Requirements | Academic Services and Teacher Certification

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Most social studies classes will cover geography, history, and government and economics in high school. Sociology and psychology are usually high school electives. A high school will probably only have one teacher teaching sociology and psychology. That's not to say you still can't become certified in social studies depending on the state. You will just have to do some additional studying on your own time in order to pass the test.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
There should be a social studies or social sciences major for education at your school. It's not just history--it's history, geography, sociology, psychology, economics, etc. You will need a background in all of those to get licensed in most states. In our state you major in your concentration area (social science in your case) and get a minor in secondary education. If you really want to go that route I would suggest getting some coaching or drivers education certification to go along with your degree to make you more marketable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities