Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,175 times

Advertisements

Need help urgently: What are my chances truly for Columbia, and MIT and CALTECH. Please need help, and any improvements I can make. Note im international student applying for aid.

My RESUME:

Achievements

• First in school for science fair project
• LEN Science scholarship, Awarded in recognition of Excellence and Potential in Science.
• Second in physics category for year 9 and 10 (NIWA science fair).
• ASTA Bronze award for the best original research for year 9 and 10. (NIWA Science fair).
• Ranked fourth out of 196 students in New Zealand for Kumon mathematics.

• Orange House Merit award.
• Bright Sparks highly commended nationwide (for under 16 division).
• Completion of International Kumon mathematics Program.

• First in form class (class award).

• Second in form class of 6B. (Class award)
• Innovation award for Young Enterprise Scheme. (Company).
• Third in the country for First tech challenge robotics (team).
• International Enterprise in action, Massey University $1,000 scholarship for Massey University Business School.
• Chosen to attend the NZ maths Olympiad residential training camp.
• Company earned $4,000 profit .

• Currently part of the Auckland Grammar Scholars group.
• Silver medal at the New Zealand International Young Physicist Tournament,
• Chosen for IYPT selection squad.
Education

2011: IGCSE: Maths (99%), Physics (97%), Chemistry (96%), Accounting (95%), English (77%).

2012: AS Levels: Maths (93%), Physics (92%), Chemistry (91%), Accounting (93%), English (83%).

SAT2: Physics (800), Chemistry (800), Maths Level 2 (800).

GPA = 4.0

3rd in class of 400 in Auckland Grammar School (top public high-school in NZ)

2013: A Levels: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Accounting, and AS Level Biology.
Young Scholars Programme: MAX (Accelerated Mathematics, Maths 153), stage one from University of Auckland (A grade). Electro Engineering diploma (15 NCEA credits).
Extra-curricular and academic skills:
Work History
St John Cadet Program (7 years)

• Gold Level Badges (through training and assessment): Health, Environment, Fire Safety, Communication, and Leadership. Earning these badges included some assessment matrix, along with a formal assessment, and usually a camp or a course.
• Community Service through St John, volunteering at twinkle child foundation, and volunteer for street collections.

Other extra-curricular activities

• Amnesty International group. Currently I am part of the sub-group, and we are running a petition against women rape and violence around the world.
• Headmaster’s Welfare Committee. As a committee we run the red nose day at AGS, go to low decile schools and provide free ‘mentoring’ and we also help both international students feel comfortable in AGS.
• Young Enterprise Scheme, Company Financial Director (and global enterprise challenge).
• NZ: ‘First Tech Challenge’, and ‘First Lego League’ (Robotics). Captain of FTC team in 2012.
• Auckland Astronomical Society Member.
• Learning Support Tutoring/mentoring program.
• Indian Cultural group.
• Community service though school’s enrichment opportunities.
• Bright sparks 2010 competition.
• New Zealand Programming Contest (2013 entry).

Sports Clubs

• Previously Parnell Cricket Club A-grade.
• Eden Roskill District Cricket Association Premier team reserve and A grade team.
• Auckland Grammar School Senior A1 team.
• Auckland Grammar School B-Grade chess team (and finalist).
• Year 9 and year 10, school Junior Chess champion.

Academic Skills

• Experience in programming with BASCOM AVR and ROBOTC.
• Gained valuable practical experimentation skills through NZYPT.
• Programming skills through NZPC competition.
• Experience in preparation of Business Plans and financial reports through YES.
• Experience in using XERO accounting software for young enterprise.
• Developed Leadership and communication skills through St John program.

Community Work through St John and enrichment (7 years): During the duration of the course, I spent 2-3 hours per week helping the elderly. Through my work at these rest homes, I learnt valuable skills in communicating with disabled elderly. As a gold group cadet, some of the responsibilities that I hold include taking care of the younger aged groups and teaching them some courses. Currently I am working towards my Grand Prior.

Tutoring Program at School: I tutor 2 hours per week for plus another 2 hours as part of the Welfare committee free tutoring service, which involves tutoring a boy Accounting, Biology and Maths. Through this tutoring service I have learnt to communicate with other boys with different academic ability, and also learnt ways to teach and understand their problems.

Finance Director of YES Company (Ghost): Our Company was called Ghost, and we designed a portable USB powered cup-warmer (which when connected to the USB port on the computer would keep your drink warm). As finance director I prepared all business plans, and financial statements. Through this role, I learnt ways to prepare business plans, and also use Xero accounting software. During the YES year, we had to pitch to a real investor, which gave me the experience to experience a real business environment.

Habitat for Humanity: This is a hand on job, where I am a volunteer. We have to go on Saturdays and help build houses. This was an amazing experience because it gave me a chance to build homes for the homeless, not by providing a gold coin, but physically building a home. This enriched me with many skills in building, and also provided me with an opportunity to help the local community.
Interests

• I enjoy problem solving and ‘making things’.
• I love to play both play and watch cricket of any type.
• I enjoy playing chess as a hobby.
• I am passionate about electronics and robotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Your background is impressive..your chances are as good as anyone elses, about 8 % chance of getting in. Please apply but also find some schools where the admissions rates are better that you know you can afford as well.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 AM

is there any school where I have sure chance?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosknight51 View Post
Your English is bad. I don't know how you can achieve that high in the best high school in NZ with that handicap, but more power to you. Stranger things have happened on the internet.

You'll have to have someone look over your essay a crapload of times.

As far as someone comparable with your numbers, Top 3 in a Top high school in the US, with almost perfect test scores, you'd be a shoo-in for Columbia, at least before, I don't know about today.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 AM

Are there any schools in the US where I have a sure chance? (its corrected now: sorry). Also: What are my chances for columbia ED realistically????? I have a counsellor proofread my essay several times. So shouldn't be a major problem.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Are there any schools in the US where I have a sure chance? (its corrected now: sorry). Also: What are my chances for columbia ED realistically????? I have a counsellor proofread my essay several times. So shouldn't be a major problem.
There's lots of schools in the US where you'd have a sure chance, even if your scores sucked and you could barely speak English.

You can probably forget about getting any aid. Good schools don't usually do that for international students. There's no good reason to come to the US for undergrad. Just go the best school you can go to there.

Then for grad school, apply to the States, and they'll give you funding.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,567 times
Quote:
Your chance of getting into Columbia, MIT, Caltech or similar schools is non-zero, but not guaranteed. No one's chance of getting into schools like these is 100%.

Any school where you would be guaranteed admission will be of lesser quality. East Tennessee State University would probably guarantee you admission. But would you really want to go there over other schools? (Sorry and ETSU people out there, but facts are facts....)

You won't know for certain whether you can get in until you apply. So roll the dice, and see what happens. It's like Schroedinger's cat; you have to open the box to find out kitty's fate.

Since you live in NZ (apparently), are you a Kiwi citizen? Are there no universities of similar quality in NZ or Australia that would fit? Or are you only interested in schools with a name? What about UK universities like Cambridge or Oxford? Their reputations are as good as MIT, Caltech or Columbia.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
My impression is that English isn't your first language.

There are schools that might be open to a student with substandard English, but my guess is that you haven't heard of them. Being able to read and write is important in all competitive US universities and what ever your major, you will need to take at least several "writing intensive" classes.

The international students who I have met have a perfect command of the English language. The ones who do not, pay full tuition at a lower ranked private college - and their parents pay the bill.

If you are open to that scenario, there are many mediocre to good colleges that actively seek foreign students to increase their diversity - and their coffers.
You may be a good fit at one of those.

I think you have a good chance at that type of college.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Sure chance is an oxymoron. It's doubtful any who respond know what will or will not admit you to the schools named. I have no clue how to get into those schools and don't know if any others here know. The people at Columbia will insist their name begin with a capital Cee.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

There is no University that you have a "sure chance" of being accepted.
Contact the University you want to attend and talk to them, they are the only one's who can tell you if you meet all of their requirements and have been accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities