Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 AM

404 posts, read 904,768 times

Advertisements

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rs-majored-in/

Not quite what I expected at all. Discuss

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 AM

369 posts, read 760,035 times
Some of those are really surprising. Art History?!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
That doesn't mean jack.

To be that filthy rich, you have to make an adjusted gross income of $370,000. I know households of 2 specialty doctors who are in that bracket, but barely and at the bottom. We are talking about people who have been the best of the best their whole lives. But they were not born into the upper crust.

The majority of those people representing the 1% were born into the upper crust.

Caroline Kennedy has a degree in Fine Arts from Harvard. Chelsea Clinton majored in History. Obviously, their connections were going ensure that they would be part of the 1% (if they so chose).

Others got those degrees at prestigious schools and then went on to professional school. Carly Fiorina got a degree in Philosophy from Harvard and then went on to graduate school at MIT for Business.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM

404 posts, read 904,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That doesn't mean jack.

The majority of those people representing the 1% were born into the upper crust.
This is a common misconception, but according to this article it is simply not the case. Who Are the One Percent? - Penta Daily - Barrons.com

My father is a self made one percenter...albeit on the extreme lower end of the spectrum, but he was a history major and got to where he is by hard work and networking. He certainly wasn't born into it.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
This is a common misconception, but according to this article it is simply not the case. Who Are the One Percent? - Penta Daily - Barrons.com

My father is a self made one percenter...albeit on the extreme lower end of the spectrum, but he was a history major and got to where he is by hard work and networking. He certainly wasn't born into it.
You quoted a survey that is based on 390 respondents, which admits itself there is a true population set of 1.2 million?

You think Caroline Kennedy forgot to fill out her survey?

You really think people who grow up in extreme poverty can easily make it into the 1% if they 'work hard'?

What are you, trying to push some Republican agenda that the poor should be taxed as much as the rich because all rich people got their on their own merit and hard work?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
You quoted a survey that is based on 390 respondents, which admits itself there is a true population set of 1.2 million?

You think Caroline Kennedy forgot to fill out her survey?

You really think people who grow up in extreme poverty can easily make it into the 1% if they 'work hard'?

What are you, trying to push some Republican agenda that the poor should be taxed as much as the rich because all rich people got their on their own merit and hard work?
86% of millionaires are self-made. Stop discouraging people by pushing defeatist philosophies.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
86% of millionaires are self-made. Stop discouraging people by pushing defeatist philosophies.
I'm not discouraging anybody. Is it YOUR goal to be filthy rich and have more $ than you know what to do with? Then, go for it.

Having a household income of $250,000 is quite obtainable in a practical manner through hard work.

But having a household income of $750,000 typically requires either luck, or some advantages that most poor and middle class people don't necessarily have.

Most 1 percenters were born with socioeconomic advantages, which helps explain why the 1 percent is more likely than other Americans to have jobs, according to census data. They work longer hours, being three times more likely than the 99 percent to work more than 50 hours a week, and are more likely to be self-employed. Married 1 percenters are just as likely as other couples to have two incomes, but men are the big breadwinners, earning 75 percent of the money, compared with 64 percent of the income in other households.

-From the NY Times. I'm not saying they're Billy Madison. I'm not saying Caroline Kennedy dion't work hard for her $. I'm saying that if she was born Caroline Stupwick, then she'd likely not be in the 1%.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 PM

219 posts, read 430,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Seriously. Its becoming an all too common, and pathetic, theme listening to people talk about how its so terrible out there for people and how their tragic circumstances must be the norm, and those who have been able to carve out success must either be an anomaly or had some unfair advantage. At some point these people are going to realize the system didn't fail them, they failed themselves.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
I'm not discouraging anybody. Is it YOUR goal to be filthy rich and have more $ than you know what to do with? Then, go for it.

Having a household income of $250,000 is quite obtainable in a practical manner through hard work.

But having a household income of $750,000 typically requires either luck, or some advantages that most poor and middle class people don't necessarily have.

Most 1 percenters were born with socioeconomic advantages, which helps explain why the 1 percent is more likely than other Americans to have jobs, according to census data. They work longer hours, being three times more likely than the 99 percent to work more than 50 hours a week, and are more likely to be self-employed. Married 1 percenters are just as likely as other couples to have two incomes, but men are the big breadwinners, earning 75 percent of the money, compared with 64 percent of the income in other households.

-From the NY Times. I'm not saying they're Billy Madison. I'm not saying Caroline Kennedy dion't work hard for her $. I'm saying that if she was born Caroline Stupwick, then she'd likely not be in the 1%.
But that isn't true. Looking into the data,

- 67% grew up in a middle class or poorer household.
- 85% made their wealth in their lifetime.
- 76% describe themselves as “Middle Class” at heart.
- 3% is the sum total of their assets that they inherited.

The NY Times was very deceptive in what it defined an "socioeconomic advantage". You yourself said that the top 1% work longer hours and take more risks (are self employed) in the workplace than any other group. Why on earth would you read that and tell someone it is all in the cards simply because a person wasn't born to a wealthy family. How can you read what you posted and not immediatley encourage people to study more, work harder and take more risks on the job?

What about your attitude does anything to help someone better themselves and their situation?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
It all depends on the individual. Off the top of my head I have listed some self-made millionaires, who achieved their fame themselves: Celine Dion, Oprah, Steve Jobs, Madonna, JK Rowling, Elvis and Mariah Carey. Hard work, determination and the desire to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities