Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Sad state of affairs for a school whose long and very rich history included a deeply held honor code.
Just a reminder that the admitted cheating was before beginning classes at Harvard. Of course, the question is whether the student who cheated in high school would cheat in college. Sadly, I suspect he would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:32 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
I cant even recall the number of times in College we worked together on take home tests against the rules because that was the only way to even pass those damn things. Im sure the professors did that on purpose.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
This was posted by someone else on a different forum. The survey had an 80% response rate. Athletes were more likely to admit to cheating than non-athletes; and, males were more likely to admit to cheating than females. 42% of freshmen admitted to cheating on assignments while 10% admitted to cheating on a test prior to attending the university. Last year, Harvard had a cheating scandal.

so? Are you jealous of Harvard students or something? I imagine most of them cheated at one point or another as do students at lesser schools. Just having a degree from Harvard, even the useless psych degree, is going to open doors to places you and I will never reach. Due to this open door, they are going to achieve more than the average person. Welcome to the unequal world we live in. It's un American to
believe in anything the generates equality.

Also, do you know anyone who attended harvard/is in harvard? The 2 I know deserve to be there. They were clearly the brightest stars of the brightest stars at my high school (all the top 20 students got accepted to least 1 ivy my senior year). Even if they cheated on a homework assignment, they were still better intellectually than everyone else I know. Even now, at the end of my junior year of college in the honors program at a large ok ranked school (60s on US news), those 2 students are the still the brightest I've ever met.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
so? Are you jealous of Harvard students or something? I imagine most of them cheated at one point or another as do students at lesser schools. Just having a degree from Harvard, even the useless psych degree, is going to open doors to places you and I will never reach. Due to this open door, they are going to achieve more than the average person. Welcome to the unequal world we live in. It's un American to

Also, do you know anyone who attended harvard/is in harvard? The 2 I know deserve to be there. They were clearly the brightest stars of the brightest stars at my high school (all the top 20 students got accepted to least 1 ivy my senior year). Even if they cheated on a homework assignment, they were still better intellectually than everyone else I know. Even now, at the end of my junior year of college in the honors program at a large ok ranked school (60s on US news), those 2 students are the still the brightest I've ever met.
Why are you so defensive? If you don't have an interest in the thread, then press the back button. Others have found the information to be interesting.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,681 times
Quote:

Cool story bro.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
so? Are you jealous of Harvard students or something? I imagine most of them cheated at one point or another as do students at lesser schools. Just having a degree from Harvard, even the useless psych degree, is going to open doors to places you and I will never reach. Due to this open door, they are going to achieve more than the average person. Welcome to the unequal world we live in. It's un American to believe in anything the generates equality.
The acceptance rate at Harvard is about 7%.

That means for every student who admitted cheating, there were about 5 or 6 who did not cheat and who did not get in --- and not everyone cheats. I always did my own homework. No one else could have done it as well as I did. Why should I cheat? I certainly would not allow anyone else to copy it, either.

If, by getting a higher GPA than they would have otherwise, the cheaters got in and someone who did not cheat was not accepted, you believe that "generates equality"? I think it steals opportunity.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM

158 posts, read 256,577 times
I knew plenty of people who cheated in college and many of them graduated with honors. You've got to cheat, lie, or kiss ass to climb up the economic ladder. That's the sad reality.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
I knew plenty of people who cheated in college and many of them graduated with honors. You've got to cheat, lie, or kiss ass to climb up the economic ladder. That's the sad reality.
That some did cheat does not mean you've "got to" in order to get ahead. Many do not. Those who cheat often find that as they try to climb the ladder their cheating no longer works and they end up exposed for their incompetence.

Would you trust one of the cheaters you know to be your surgeon? To design an airplane you personally will fly in? To manage your money? To pay all the income tax he owes? Would you marry someone who cheated in school?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:51 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The acceptance rate at Harvard is about 7%.

That means for every student who admitted cheating, there were about 5 or 6 who did not cheat and who did not get in --- and not everyone cheats. I always did my own homework. No one else could have done it as well as I did. Why should I cheat? I certainly would not allow anyone else to copy it, either.

If, by getting a higher GPA than they would have otherwise, the cheaters got in and someone who did not cheat was not accepted, you believe that "generates equality"? I think it steals opportunity.

Do you personally know any students/people who went to harvard? I personally know 2. Even if they have cheated on some homework assignment, they still deserve to be at harvard. They were the smartest people in my high school ( and not just GPA/SAT wise, by the way Harvard looks at a lot more that just stats). Even when I expanded my surroundings by around 15 fold when I went to college, they are still the smartest people I know. To the best of my knowledge, they aren't the superstars at Harvard, so this means the average harvard student is like them. Even if 40% of them cheated on something, they are still smarter than your average person.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
58% of the incoming class are liars. Everyone had cheated on something at least once.
Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities