Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I also have a friend whose son played football at a Big 12 school (not in OK). They were so concerned that their student athletes were in class every day that they would drive the players to class in golf carts if morning practice ran late and they actually had the professors check attendance and report back to the coaches each day. My friend got a call one day from one of the assistant coaches informing her that her son had missed a class that day. She called her son and asked why he'd missed this class. His response was that he was there but had just been late. At first I thought it was a little ridiculous that they would act like these were 1st graders and call their mommies, but when I thought about it I realized that it just showed how committed this school was to making sure their athletes also got an education because they realized that most of them would not go pro and needed a good education to be successful in life.

Granted, this university offers some kind of management degree that many athletes get because its easy. It is not through their business school because theirs is a pretty good program and is a restricted college. Many of these athletes could not get in the business school. It is offered through some other college in the university and is known to be the easiest major in the entire university.
Re: the bold, I'm not sure that's it, or if the school just wants to get bragging rights for their students actually attending class. I've long said many of the football players in my D1 school were business majors, and I'm not talking about finance, accounting, and that sort of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Re: the bold, I'm not sure that's it, or if the school just wants to get bragging rights for their students actually attending class. I've long said many of the football players in my D1 school were business majors, and I'm not talking about finance, accounting, and that sort of business.
It's not bragging rights, it's NCAA compliance rules...they don't want to get a hefty fine if their athletes are not in class...

Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's not bragging rights, it's NCAA compliance rules...they don't want to get a hefty fine if their athletes are not in class...
That occurred to me, but I wasn't sure of the rules. In any event, it's not concern that the athlete actually get an education.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I also have a friend whose son played football at a Big 12 school (not in OK). They were so concerned that their student athletes were in class every day that they would drive the players to class in golf carts if morning practice ran late and they actually had the professors check attendance and report back to the coaches each day. My friend got a call one day from one of the assistant coaches informing her that her son had missed a class that day. She called her son and asked why he'd missed this class. His response was that he was there but had just been late. At first I thought it was a little ridiculous that they would act like these were 1st graders and call their mommies, but when I thought about it I realized that it just showed how committed this school was to making sure their athletes also got an education because they realized that most of them would not go pro and needed a good education to be successful in life.

Granted, this university offers some kind of management degree that many athletes get because its easy. It is not through their business school because theirs is a pretty good program and is a restricted college. Many of these athletes could not get in the business school. It is offered through some other college in the university and is known to be the easiest major in the entire university.
You're giving this school far too much undeserved credit. Believe me, as soon as the football star uses up his eligibility, the majority of these big time programs will not care if he attends another class again.

A LOT of these players would not be accepted to these universities if not for their "special talents". This special talents clause is put in to the college acceptance requirements right along with the other requirements such as ACT/SAT, GPA, class rank, etc.

It's not just BCS programs that do everything possible to get the best athletes they can no matter the situation, although they have more of the resources to hire all the extra tutoring along with more available fluff majors to enroll to. Athletic scholarship schools at all levels will make all kinds of exceptions to get the best athletes that they can, even if some of these guys are functionally illiterate.

You know what I kind of admire is NCAA D-III student athletes. These kids bust their butt playing their sports without receiving any athletic scholarship help. If a student-athlete receives any scholarship help it has to be from some other source. They play mostly for the love of the game and for their institution.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM

Some D III schools do recruit athletes and find some other kind of scholarship to give them.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Some D III schools do recruit athletes and find some other kind of scholarship to give them.
I would say that most D3 schools recruit athletes. Recruiting is perfectly legal at the D3 level. Athletic scholarships are not permitted but recruiting is. Many D3 athletes do seem to have scholarships but I don't know if they have them at rates different from the rest of the student population.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would say that most D3 schools recruit athletes. Recruiting is perfectly legal at the D3 level. Athletic scholarships are not permitted but recruiting is. Many D3 athletes do seem to have scholarships but I don't know if they have them at rates different from the rest of the student population.
D3 schools do recruit and many recruit hard. They aren't subject to as strict of contact rules either so they can talk to students easier. I don't know the ratio either but I know that most schools allow some "flexibility" with "academic" scholarships for athletes they really want .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities