Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:01 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,489 times

Advertisements

I've donated once or twice (probably only once), but I think it was around $20. There is a list of the donors and the range of $$ they have given. There is one girl who has donated at least 5K every year since she has graduated. EVERY year?!?! You're telling me that straight out of college, this girl decided to donate 5K to the university she JUST left?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 AM

317 posts, read 474,848 times
I give money to homeless shelters, cancer research, Meals on Wheels... but would never give to my local college. Their tuition has gone from about $2300 per year in the mid-1990s to nearly $8000 per year today. Books have gone from about $30 per book to $160 per book. I just don't feel they need or deserve any more.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
There is one girl who has donated at least 5K every year since she has graduated. EVERY year?!?! You're telling me that straight out of college, this girl decided to donate 5K to the university she JUST left?!?
Apparently she valued her education enough to do so!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 PM

192 posts, read 403,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I've donated once or twice (probably only once), but I think it was around $20. There is a list of the donors and the range of $$ they have given. There is one girl who has donated at least 5K every year since she has graduated. EVERY year?!?! You're telling me that straight out of college, this girl decided to donate 5K to the university she JUST left?!?
I agree with Pitt Chick that that girls obviously felt the education she got was worth it. Also we don't know her financial situation, to her that may not be a lot, there may be an employer's matching gift in there we don't know about, or maybe she went to the school on a scholarship and now wants to help make sure there is money available for others. Personally, I donated once in the amount of my graduation year but that is about it...once we are settled I would like to regularly donate more but probably around $100 a year and I would target it specifically to the college within the university or something that relates to perpetuating what I personally got out of having gone there.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,420,751 times
I didn't go to a university but rather a small, private liberal arts college. My high school was also small and private. You know, the kinds of places whose alumni regularly appear on the list of Forbes' richest people--usually because of family connections. (I am NOT among that crowd, having come from different circumstances and chosen a career in nonprofit work.)

Both institutions ask me for money regularly, it seems a couple of times a year. I used to give small amounts when I could but since having children my income is very much spoken for. And for pete's sake, if the top five alums from each school were to each give our alma mater 1% of their net worth, both schools would be set for generations to come.

So no, I don't feel moved to donate.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
I give money to homeless shelters, cancer research, Meals on Wheels... but would never give to my local college. Their tuition has gone from about $2300 per year in the mid-1990s to nearly $8000 per year today. Books have gone from about $30 per book to $160 per book. I just don't feel they need or deserve any more.
With tuition as cheap as it is these days... It amazes me that people complain.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
My university doesn't get a dime from me. They got plenty from while I was a student.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Willing and able!

DH and I give money to a college we have NO connection to, because we love their history and how they do things.
They get more than our alma maters combined.... way more.
I'm honestly so inspired by those of you who give. Thank you so much for all you do. It means the world to the modern day student and it will mean even more so to the next generation of college students.

Be it through scholarships, research, professorships, department donations, dedications, fundraising goals for buildings or other forms of giving such as athletic support.. it really does mean a LOT. ESPECIALLY for public American flagship universities.

Y'all are the best.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM

493 posts, read 980,967 times
No, and I won't unless I get a lot of money (think lottery)

If I had money to donate, there are other organizations that I personally feel could better use a donation. If I had enough money to give to other charities that mean a lot to me, then I would consider making a sizable donation to my Alma Mater, specifically endowed for my old department. It would be kinda cool to have a computer lab room named after me (I was a CS Major) or a meteorology lab named after my husband.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I'm honestly so inspired by those of you who give. Thank you so much for all you do. It means the world to the modern day student and it will mean even more so to the next generation of college students.

Be it through scholarships, research, professorships, department donations, dedications, fundraising goals for buildings or other forms of giving such as athletic support.. it really does mean a LOT. ESPECIALLY for public American flagship universities.

Y'all are the best.
I don't give to either of my alma maters - one a private elite institution and the other a private quasi-elite institution - for very obvious reasons (at least to me). Both of these schools have endowments in the > $1 billion category, yet charge over $60k per year (with room & board) and - seemingly - give very little back to the community.

I would be much more inclined to give money to my state university, with which I have no relationship, than to either of the schools with which I'm affiliated, mainly because I believe in the role of public education.

The one exception to not giving to my alma maters that I might entertain would be to give to a very targeted cause/facility that directly benefits students (such as a student center). But, giving to a general fund is out of the question for me (however much both schools benefited me). They simply don't provide me with a justification of need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities