Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMarie View Post
Your roommate was at least 2000 miles away. While the wake-up calls are nutty, as is the intervention for routine problems, you have not walked a mile in her moccasins, as your family is in-state, and you could get home easily if you had to. I also don't understand you being so proud of giving your family the short shrift. Some day you may wish they were close by so you could see them.
You can still be close to your family and not see them all the time or need to talk to them every single day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Why is that sad. It takes 2 years to deepen your technical knowledge in engineering. Only then can you effectively conduct experiments and relate the experimental results to the theory and draw appropriate conclusions. For example, tell me how you will ascertain the experimental value of an engine's efficiency without calculating a theoretical base value. Additionally recall that its not possible to calculate the theoretical value without understanding the mathematics and physics involved in calculating thermodynamic efficiency. Writing a lab report requires a lot of built up prior knowledge regarding the concept used. Its not as easy as you think.
Or that is what they tell you anyway. Our kids started doing lab reports freshman year in high school. It's a learning process and not something that needs to wait until junior year in college. They had math and physics in high school to build on in college as well. I took plenty of science classes in high school and college and it's not as hard as you are making it out to be either....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM

131 posts, read 282,093 times
It's good to hear all of the great feedback from you guys and I see that time management is huge along with writing skills. I think that maturity is also a huge one. Some 17 and 18 year old kids just have to be coached into studying, doing assignments, going to class, etc. I went to a branch campus at Penn St.(Wilkes-Barre)....very small commuter school that did have a good share of on campus students. Me being from Philly, I was roughly 90 miles from home and out on my own for the first time. Throughout H.S. my mom would wake me up every morning...I had teachers that would call to ensure assignments were being done. I had classmates that would coax me along. When I got to college, that support network was gone and I didn't have the maturity to realize it or do anything about it and it reflected in my grades. Long story short I lasted 3 semesters before high tailing it into the U.S. Marine Corps, where time management and maturity are beaten into you(figuratively). You don't show maturity and coping skills, then you will be strong. After being surrounded by those who relied on me to do my job....then and only the was I mature enough to handle a college course load....I'm happy to say that I did grow up and I did return to school and graduated. Thanks for the inputs.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 PM

16 posts, read 29,943 times
Very, very important....Being in college is the first time that many people have credit cards, so having the discipline to control your spending.

I can remember so many times where someone was pulling out a credit card to pay for a keg or a late night meal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities