Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,904,284 times

Advertisements

We have an intern in his last year of college. We were talking and he was lamenting about his last advanced calculus test he took and how he couldn't finish it on time. That some of the problems take over a page to complete and that he knew the procedures but just couldn't get it all down in time. Then he said the kids who got the extra time probably got it all done. Of course this is all new to me since I never went to college but allegedly if you have some disorder you're allowed extra time on tests!!! What????

Obviously if you're not getting said test done on time you need to apply for this allowance I told him.

Now me, I circumvented college and climbed the ranks from the ground up. I also have say in who we hire. I did not know of this practice. If all else being the same, I'd probably hire 3.8 guy over 3.4 guy...but now I just learned I could be getting a subpar product?

I kind of think employers should know about this don't you think? Maybe a stamp on the diploma stating extra time was given. Not all jobs are benign pushing papers, some require spur of the moment life or death decisions.

I would think by the time someone is doing college level advance calculus, something but 2% of the population can probably do, it is time to retire the "I'm mentally disabled" card

For all I know 4.0 guy completed his tests open-book Sorry, I just can't stop laughing since learning of this practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 PM

87 posts, read 136,756 times
You might miss out on hiring that brilliant guy who can do calculus in his head---but just can't read the silly problem because he's learning disabled or has to convert everything to a program because his hands were blown off by an IED and holding a pencil just isn't all that possible. Folks get accommodations for all kinds of reasons in college--extra days for papers, extra time for tests, helpers to read things aloud. This is changing somewhat since programs like Dragonspeak and such, but on average, the students I've worked with who have accommodations work much harder than their "normal" counterparts, and have blown me away with some of the things they can do. For the record, it's not exactly easy to qualify for those accommodations, and let's be honest, how many of us are rocking the calculus we learned in school? Really? It was a weed-out course for the vast majority of people who took it. Heck, I did doctoral statistics and barely used any of the calculus I broke my head over as an undergraduate.

Ah, and let's continue to be honest. Even an open calculus book will not a 100% earn if someone knows jack squat about calculus.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM

315 posts, read 564,381 times
The only way we're ever allowed extra time at my college is with an alert form, which indicates the student has a learning disorder or maybe just has problems taking tests in general. My math professors have been very nice and would stay later to let us finish. I've never had a hard time finishing tests on time but it happens.

One girl in my pre-algebra class (years ago) was allowed to use a Calculator on a quiz for adding and subtracting negative integers, which I thought was BS. Honestly, you clearly shouldn't be in a math class if you can't follow those concepts. It's not even about doing math, it's about remembering rules. No one else was permitted to use a calculator and rightfully so.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Yes, some students with documented learning disabilities are allowed accommodations to finish tests and whatnot. It would be the same as a deaf person being allowed to have a sign language interpreter in the classroom. What is wrong with that??

Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetravelingblondes View Post
You might miss out on hiring that brilliant guy who can do calculus in his head---but just can't read the silly problem because he's learning disabled or has to convert everything to a program because his hands were blown off by an IED and holding a pencil just isn't all that possible. Folks get accommodations for all kinds of reasons in college--extra days for papers, extra time for tests, helpers to read things aloud. This is changing somewhat since programs like Dragonspeak and such, but on average, the students I've worked with who have accommodations work much harder than their "normal" counterparts, and have blown me away with some of the things they can do. For the record, it's not exactly easy to qualify for those accommodations, and let's be honest, how many of us are rocking the calculus we learned in school? Really? It was a weed-out course for the vast majority of people who took it. Heck, I did doctoral statistics and barely used any of the calculus I broke my head over as an undergraduate.

Ah, and let's continue to be honest. Even an open calculus book will not a 100% earn if someone knows jack squat about calculus.
Well said. And, as the parent with a son who has a documented learning disability, yet will graduate in May with a 3.2 gpa, I know how hard he's had to work. The extra time he gets on a test when needed is not what has gotten him through school.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:25 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,211,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
We have an intern in his last year of college. We were talking and he was lamenting about his last advanced calculus test he took and how he couldn't finish it on time. That some of the problems take over a page to complete and that he knew the procedures but just couldn't get it all down in time. Then he said the kids who got the extra time probably got it all done. Of course this is all new to me since I never went to college but allegedly if you have some disorder you're allowed extra time on tests!!! What????

Obviously if you're not getting said test done on time you need to apply for this allowance I told him.

Now me, I circumvented college and climbed the ranks from the ground up. I also have say in who we hire. I did not know of this practice. If all else being the same, I'd probably hire 3.8 guy over 3.4 guy...but now I just learned I could be getting a subpar product?

I kind of think employers should know about this don't you think? Maybe a stamp on the diploma stating extra time was given. Not all jobs are benign pushing papers, some require spur of the moment life or death decisions.

I would think by the time someone is doing college level advance calculus, something but 2% of the population can probably do, it is time to retire the "I'm mentally disabled" card

For all I know 4.0 guy completed his tests open-book Sorry, I just can't stop laughing since learning of this practice.
If it was your child who was documented to have a disability, would you be okay with an employer kicking him to the curb? What about yourself? What it's time to "retire" is the arrogance that ignores that there but for the Grace of God go I or my own.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
It's called accommodations for a disability, and is common for GED, SAT, ACT and other tests as well as classroom tests in high school and college. Just as employers must make accommodations for employees who acquire a disability but are still able to do the work with some adjustments to their workstation.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 AM

38 posts, read 79,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, some students with documented learning disabilities are allowed accommodations to finish tests and whatnot. It would be the same as a deaf person being allowed to have a sign language interpreter in the classroom. What is wrong with that??
Good question.

There are different goals in educational institutions vs business ventures.

Can a lack of hearing can be accommodated for in all situations? Musician? Help desk technician? Astronaut?

Do profitability and safety considerations not need to be taken into account when hiring?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Iron View Post
Good question.

There are different goals in educational institutions vs business ventures.

Can a lack of hearing can be accommodated for in all situations? Musician? Help desk technician? Astronaut?

Do profitability and safety considerations not need to be taken into account when hiring?
We aren't talking work force--this is a college student. That same college student, however, may find obstacles when it comes time to find employment. Yes, employers need to make reasonable accommodations for documented disabilities but that employee has to be able to execute the essential job functions in the first place as well. A deaf person certainly can't get a job in a call center, for example.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
As golfgal noted, it is not about employment; it is about education and compliance with federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities