Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 04:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Agreed. I bet college professors at four year colleges and Universities everywhere who teach Freshman level classes would agree. This is not a community college specific problem.
I disagree---but then I went to college, my kids are in college and most kids in a 4 year college most certainly do turn in their homework...especially those right out of high school that graduate within 4 years....if they don't, they are gone after a semester so it's a self-weeding process vs a CC that accepts anyone with a pulse. Numbers comparing the 2 have been posted already....

Old 03-22-2014, 04:27 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,047,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yep, maybe 26 % of the CC kids are motivated but it's ignorant to think that is the case with most of the students....
I stated there are slackers in 4 yr schools and CCs. And Michigan, Berkeley, UVa, NYU, Amherst, Stanford, etc. are all very interested in CC kids. So I think your view is incorrect.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
I disagree---but then I went to college, my kids are in college and most kids in a 4 year college most certainly do turn in their homework...especially those right out of high school that graduate within 4 years....if they don't, they are gone after a semester so it's a self-weeding process vs a CC that accepts anyone with a pulse. Numbers comparing the 2 have been posted already....
Numbers, that, as many have pointed out, don't tell the whole story.

The OP is teaching at a CC. His experience is at a CC. There is nothing to compare to. No one has come on here and said they teach at a 4 year college and it's different, or the same, for that matter.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:44 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,771,381 times
Quote:
I also went to college as did my husband and my parents and my siblings. One of my parents is a college professor at a 4 year school and the other worked for many years as an administrator at a CC. I have friends who teach at the University level as well as at the community college level. I have heard enough stories and have enough experience in life to know that unmotivated students exist and are an issue at any school. It's ridiculous that you keep trying to push this stereotype. The numbers that you tout show little difference and they do not tell the whole story.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Was it because you were at a 4-year school or because you were more mature and focused?
More mature and focused.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I also went to college as did my husband and my parents and my siblings. One of my parents is a college professor at a 4 year school and the other worked for many years as an administrator at a CC. I have friends who teach at the University level as well as at the community college level. I have heard enough stories and have enough experience in life to know that unmotivated students exist and are an issue at any school. It's ridiculous that you keep trying to push this stereotype. The numbers that you tout show little difference and they do not tell the whole story.
The reality though is the data supports her contention, only 10% of low income students finish community college in 3 years.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I stated there are slackers in 4 yr schools and CCs. And Michigan, Berkeley, UVa, NYU, Amherst, Stanford, etc. are all very interested in CC kids. So I think your view is incorrect.
The graduation rate at tops schools are in the order of about 3 times the magnitude as community colleges. Why are people getting so defensive about this contention?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:51 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,771,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The reality though is the data supports her contention, only 10% of low income students finish community college in 3 years.
How did we suddenly switch from "community college students" to "low income cc students"?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Agreed. I bet college professors at four year colleges and Universities everywhere who teach Freshman level classes would agree. This is not a community college specific problem.
Especially in 100/200 level courses because most students need to take these courses in some fashion. Doesn't matter if it is community college, college or university. 100 and 200 level courses will have much more bottom of the barrel students. PERIOD!

Old 03-22-2014, 09:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
How did we suddenly switch from "community college students" to "low income cc students"?
And from 4 year colleges to "top schools"? (Below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The graduation rate at tops schools are in the order of about 3 times the magnitude as community colleges. Why are people getting so defensive about this contention?
Why are people trying to analyze other posters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities