Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM

17 posts, read 69,760 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I would like to come to the USA to study film making. I went through web sites good film schools. I am very impressed by MFA program of School of Arts of University of Columbia, NY. Could someone guide me on how tough it is to get admission into that place? Fee is pretty high and it will be expensive to stay in NY. Could you please suggest options of moderate living so that expenses are not beyond 2k per month? As it is my first visit to the USA, I have no idea of living in the USA. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,396 times
I'm sorry. Don't know notthin about any film making, but I am curious as to where you are from. If I may. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-06-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
I'm sorry. Don't know notthin about any film making, but I am curious as to where you are from. If I may. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE
India. Why did you ask?

Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 AM

498 posts, read 1,520,396 times
Default First visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkana View Post
India. Why did you ask?
Just curiousity. So are you in the US now?

Old 12-06-2007, 04:08 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Living below 2k per month (including rent, utilities, and food) is impossible in New York, sorry.

Columbia is an Ivy-League (read: very expensive, very famous) school but I'm not sure if I'd go to it for film. You have to have lots of money to go there and stay there. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Columbia University vis-a-vis other Film schools.

Thank you for your reply. I have gone through the website of Columbia University. The course seems really good. Fees of other film schools are at par. Can you suggest some other good film school? I have gone through USC, UCLA, NYU. Fees do not differ much from Columbia University.
For information:
1)USC: University of South California: Course is practical oriented, the way I want it.
a.Duration: 3 years
b.Annual Fees: $24000 + other fees
2)UCLA: University of California, Los Angeles: Course is theoretical.
b.Annual Fees: $24000 + other fees.
3)NYU: Tisch School : course of production is really very good.
a.Duration: 2 years
b.Annual Fees: $36000 + other fees
4)University Of Columbia , NY: Course is also very nice.
b.Annual Fees: $38000 + other fees
5)AFI conservatory, LA : American Film Institute, Los Angeles: Course must be good.
a.Duration: No idea
b.Annual Fees: No idea. But it must be comparable with above institutes

All of these are top 5 schools in the USA. Only differentiator remains the course contents which are impressive in case of Columbia University.Do let me know if you know about other really good film schools.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Just curiousity. So are you in the US now?
No. I am still in India.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I have gone through the website of Columbia University. The course seems really good. Fees of other film schools are at par. Can you suggest some other good film school? I have gone through USC, UCLA, NYU. Fees do not differ much from Columbia University.
For information:
1)USC: University of South California: Course is practical oriented, the way I want it.
b.Annual Fees: $24000 + other fees
2)UCLA: University of California, Los Angeles: Course is theoretical.
b.Annual Fees: $24000 + other fees.
3)NYU: Tisch School : course of production is really very good.
b.Annual Fees: $36000 + other fees
4)University Of Columbia , NY: Course is also very nice.
b.Annual Fees: $38000 + other fees
5)AFI conservatory, LA : American Film Institute, Los Angeles: Course must be good.
a.Duration: No idea
b.Annual Fees: No idea. But it must be comparable with above institutes

All of these are top 5 schools in the USA. Only differentiator remains the course contents which are impressive in case of Columbia University.Do let me know if you know about other really good film schools.

USC is a very good film school. I would apply there and if I got in, I would definitly go.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
India. Why did you ask?
as home of the largest film industry in the world, surely, india has decent film schools, no?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
as home of the largest film industry in the world, surely, india has decent film schools, no?
Yes, India surely does have film schools. Schools like FTII have given world renowned actors and directors. It provides a course in Direction of duration 4 years. I can not spend 4 years doing it because I have already spent enough time in studying engineering for 4 years and then Masters for 2 years. Moreover no institute provides a complete course in film making. One has to go for separate courses. I want to study film making from its all aspects namely writing screenplay, directing, production aspects, editing. That is why I searched in colleges in UK and USA. Colleges in USA provide really impressive courses. So I want to go to USA to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities