Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,671 times

Advertisements

Okay.... a little background. I'm 34 and I have an AA in Human Services. I am about 30 credits away from getting my BA in Criminology. Currently NOT going though... saving up money since I don't want to get loans. I want to pay then and there.

I wanted to help people who had been victims of crimes. (mostly women from domestic violence) However, I work at a law firm now representing the plaintiff, and although it's in a different line of law completely, it has got me really thinking. Especially last night too... I got together w/ some friends, and there were friends of friends there. One of them, really nice lady was a victim of domestic violence. Hearing her story and what she went through was so sad, and between my work and hearing her story I knew that this is nothing that I would want to do. Seeing sad people everyday, going to court, etc I know now is not something I want to do anymore.

However, sure I am not old, but I am not no spring chicken either. I really want to have a career, and not just a job anymore.

I want to go back to school, but when I go back (hopefully next year) I want to change my major. However, my problem is not knowing exactly what I want to do. My parents don't have college degrees, and no one in my family does.... so I never really looked into everything that is out there.

Two things I am interested in are the environment and teaching. Two totally different things I know... but at 34.. going into teaching almost seems too old. If I did pursue a teaching degree, I would want to teach for kids in elementary school. When I graduated high school - I wanted to pursue psychology, but there doesn't seem to be much you can do w/ a BA in psych though.

Anyone have any advice or been through something similar? Any fields you find really interesting? I appreciate it in advance.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:22 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
If you want to teach, be a teacher. 34 is not too late, and in fact teaching as a second career is not that uncommon.

I would be very careful to look at the subjects you want to teach, as that is related to employability. Math, science and special education appear to be the most in demand.

I don't know whether it would be better to finish out our BA and then get a master's in education, or to get your education degree directly. There are plus and minuses to both I would assume, so you'll want to research that.

Are you tied to Florida or are you mobile? Pay varies widely around the U.S. as do retirement systems. You'll want to look into that as well.

Even if it takes an extra year to get an education degree, that's a small sacrifice in exchange for having a career you're satisfied with for the next 30+ years.

I should add I am not a teacher (at least at the k-12 level) and so you may want to get the opinions of others that have more practical experience.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:26 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
30 credits away is REALLY close. That's just one more year of school. I think you should just get the Criminology degree.

Check out this link: College Graduate of a Non-education Program (Florida)

Old 04-05-2014, 04:10 PM

366 posts, read 730,907 times
I agree with the others. You're so close to getting the Bachelors in Criminology. Then there's nothing stopping you from getting alternative certification as a teacher in Florida. If teaching works out for you...great. However, there are many teachers (and I have many who are friends) that are burnt out with the kids, the parents, the paperwork, the administration, etc. that they'd like to change careers. With a degree in something besides education you'll have other options.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
trying to get my nephew @30 to learn a trade he prefers to be a college student on GI bill for as long as possible, learning cabinet making?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities