Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 AM

151 posts, read 424,253 times

Advertisements

I got my degree because I had specific career goals in mind. I didn't go to college straight out of high school because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time. It took me a few years to figure it out.

The purpose of a degree is to prove formal education relating to certain subjects. Most people need it as a stepping stone into their career.

So why would someone go to school when they don't even have a career in mind, and then try to match up jobs with their degree after they graduate? That makes about as much sense as going out and buying a tool for which you have no use for. And then wandering aimlessly around the house trying to find something to fix that requires that tool. It's just non-sense.

Don't tell me it's because they just want to get "educated" or "enlightened". It doesn't take tens of thousands of dollars and years of your life to audit courses or go to the library.

And don't tell me it's because employers are looking for just any degree. The kinds of jobs requiring an arbitrary degree are just more of the same crappy ones you already have access to without a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,753 times
I agree it makes no sense. Wasted money, still if they feel they must go to college without knowing the exact career they want in life then they should just get a business degree, at least they can get a job with that while still deciding what they want to do.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
because part of the college process is figuring out what you want to do...80%+ of all college students change their major at least once during their schooling....

Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
because part of the college process is figuring out what you want to do...80%+ of all college students change their major at least once during their schooling....
the problem I've found with this is all the extra coursework you have to take when you make the change. You really have to choose your major early to have any kind of smooth progression through college, god forbid you change schools, then you have even more classes to take since they don't usually transfer too well. It's a frekkin' nightmare. Anything to keep kids in school as long as possible to suck as much money out of them as possible.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
kids go to college without knowing what they want to do (and lets be honest, who REALLY knows what they want to do at 18 years old?) because you have so many closed doors if you don't get the degree. Employers are getting ridiculous nowadays, they are requiring bachelors degrees for jobs that an above-average monkey could do.

I hope our next president focuses on the educational system in this country because it is right up there with marijuana being illegal so far as destroying our country is concerned. We incarcerate 800,000 otherwise law abiding people every year for smoking weed, which then gives them a criminal record and makes them un-hirable. Sort of similarly(but not really), we are forcing kids to go to college, most of whom will go severely into debt that they can't escape(since tuitions are rising at insane rates and have been for awhile now), only so that they can have a SHOT at getting a mediocre job that doesn't pay well enough to support themselves and pay off their debt, which ends up meaning these people won't amass nearly as much savings over the course of life. So were basically creating a nation of people in debt (which fits considering the country itself is in crazy debt) and/or with criminal records for enjoying a substance less dangerous/harmful then cigs and booze. This country would be so much better off if just these two things were sorted out.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I think that society has set the expectation that it is not only normal to go to college right after high school but that it's also expected. The standard belief is that students will figure out what they want to do while in college. While I think that some students most certainly do figure out what they want to do prior to declaring a major, many more don't. I know that I would have made different choices regarding my college studies as a more mature adult then I did as an idealistic young adult but it is what it is. Maybe internships or full time employment prior to college would be a better path for some?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I waited. Didn't know what I wanted and didn't want to waste money and get into debt.
So I worked for several years. Found I liked anything math related so decided to go to college for Accounting.
Took a programming class as an elective and ended up getting a BS in Engineering (CS).

Glad I waited. At 18 I didn't know what I wanted or even what was out there or what my real interests were.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 AM

219 posts, read 430,782 times
What is the purpose of this thread? The OP obviously knows what the purpose of a college degree is and we are not to tell him otherwise.

I did not go to college until I was sure about what I wanted to do with my life. I only wish I was a bit less closed minded back then. Curious if the OP will be just as sure about his life 10-15 years after college. I know few who are.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 AM

151 posts, read 424,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I waited. Didn't know what I wanted and didn't want to waste money and get into debt.
So I worked for several years. Found I liked anything math related so decided to go to college for Accounting.
Took a programming class as an elective and ended up getting a BS in Engineering (CS).

Glad I waited. At 18 I didn't know what I wanted or even what was out there or what my real interests were.
So am I. I went for BSEE and MSEE. The tech industry is so awesome. I can't even imagine what kind of worthless degree I would have chosen when I was 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Curious if the OP will be just as sure about his life 10-15 years after college.
Probably more likely to than those that just jumped straight in with no career goals in mind. They usually just pick the degree that looked the easiest.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:24 PM

16 posts, read 19,430 times
Any or all of the following reasons...

1.) social life
2.) to figure out what they might like doing
3.) because they feel they have to get a college degree to please society
4.) because many jobs require a college degree today, they do not even care what the degree is in, they just want to make sure you have a degree.

Personally I think if one is unsure what they want to major in, they should go to the cheaper priced college. Community college, or a public college. After taking courses they ill have a better idea of what they like. Of course doing internships also helps to determine if they are really into their desired major as well. I mention internships because the work force in their declared major is very different from the courses in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities